"twitchy steering, torque steer, its a straight line car"

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Azagedon, Nov 30, 2013.

1. My dad took my car for a spin last night, after a spirited drive he had a few things to say about it.. the steering is really twitchy (he said it probably was the hard springs), but also it has torque steer? :confused:
    I never noticed it, but today I tried to by caning it off a slip road and it did follow the ruts a bit much. I know the steering is lively but is this too much?

He also said round a fast bend 50-70mph it felt like the grip was on a knife edge.. noting that he does the same bend in his suzuki swift at 70 and its fine.
    So basically he said he could beat me in the bends with his car as the megane has too much power which ruins it in the bends only good in straights? (its running 270bhp & 301 lb-ft and cooksport springs).

Whats up with that? Is there something wrong or just lack of bum on seat time in my car?
    I've just had it MOT'd and tracked so I know the TRE's are in good order and no wheel play etc.

2. Lol he takes corners faster in a Suzuki Swift?

If he thought the car had too much power he could try pressing the accelerator less. I take corners on a country lane on the way to my sisters at speeds that would see his Swift upside down in a field :smiley:

Tbh though he probably just isn't used to the Meg, they do tend to pull when putting the power down in a straight line but in bends all you should feel is the LSD - maybe that's what he felt but didn't know what it was?

3. He seems to think so yeah, probably as it's bigger mass to play with the rear does help steer it I guess.

Barring that, my main concern is the steering he mentioned.

4. Your putting all that torque and power through the front tyres, they are bound to pull left to right , do the same slip road with less acceleration and the torque steer will be less.

5. You don't have a LSD do you

6. Nope :/. Is it cheaper to get a r26 box or LSD and get it fitted?

7. All that power and torque with no LSD !! that'll be why its pulling and feeling a little twitchy.

regards
    Bob

8. Goon returns

Goon returns Guest

LSD... reminds me of the good old days :worried: can't even get a few tabs of acid these days and vials go for 700+ if you can even source any :worried: bad times

9. I'd say get your hub bearings checked. It transformed mine.

10. what tyres are you running and how much tread is left on them? The handling on my car was transformed when i put some decent rubber on it.

11. Nothing wrong with it, that's just how they drive

12. Your dad's winding you up here, could beat a megane with Suzuki swift....ha :smiley:

torque steer will be normal for a car running that power. Getting a LSD fitted will help

13. As Harry says, tyres. What brand and how much left? My r26 with the LSD was all over the place when the tyres were low. I thought it was fun but the missus hated driving it until I put new tyres on!

fleng likes this.
  14. New rear tyres are next the shopping list, that must be what makes the rear end feel dodgey. LSD might just have to be added!

15. What brand have you got on front and rear? How much is left? If you're considering an LSD before decent tyres it might be a waste of cash! Even part worn decent brand are better than worn tyres.

16. Tyres are first, getting them after xmas is sorted. Front vredestein ultrac sessanta, rears are wanli loads of tred left. Shit I know and said it a few times before, it's only become apparent after the power though :smile:.

17. i had some fullrun (ditchfinders) on mine and the car used to skip the rear end round corners they were put on by the previous owner, have changed to avon zz5s and it now plants itself in the corners :smile:

18. Good performance tyres on these cars is a must. Don't get sucked in by cheap alternatives. Stick to Continentals, Pirelli, Goodyears etc and you cant go wrong.
    They maybe expensive but your paying for the development thats gone into the products :-)

19. I will do. Am I better off matching the rears with the fronts? (the vreds ultra secs)
    ...or buying one of the brands above for the rears? (then when the fronts wear out get the same)? If that makes sense, cheers. :smile:

20. Get your hub bearings looked at! It transformed mine

21. Mine is pulling to the left under hard acceleration.. The bottom hub swivel bearings are knackered.. Get them checked..