Trackday/driver training

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jack250, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Alright chaps

I've got around £500 to spend on a trackday/driver training. I don't want to use my own car really. However, after some research there are blokes that will meet you at your desired circuit (or one that they use) and spend the whole day with you in your own car. This would interest me but I'm really wanting something rear wheel drive and track orientated.

I've seen what looks like a cracking day in a Caterham. X6 15min sessions with an instructor for the full day. By the end of a day like this you will have surely got some great driving experiences and improved on your skills ten-fold. Other than this, there seems to be a massive gap between £500-£1000.

Has anyone done something like this or know of any others?

Cheers

Jack

2. Hi Jack
    Why don't you book a track day and get half a dozen tuition sessions at the circuit, you would be looking at around £30 for 30 minutes, they are all race drivers i learnt loads from them, you will find that they are not interested in how fast you can drive, they are more about flowing lines, turn in points braking points etc, you could book a couple of sessions and add more on the day, maybe even a different instructor, they normally have 3 or 4 at the track.

Or you can get i touch with Casper as he has organised a drifting session and is thinking of doing another is been that popular, just a thought :sunglasses:

StephRS and jack250 like this.
  3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

As Ian has said, Book a TD and get some tuition booked through them easiest way and you'll learn how your own car actually behaves.

Using other cars is great, If your going to drive others on track but learning how your own car can react and perform when driven properly is going to benefit you more imo.

If you really want to learn, granted they are pricey, Then a CAT day at Millbrook is the way to go. So much fun and learn loads, Id love to do another one but funds wont allow for a while

jack250 likes this.
  4. Cheers for the response chaps. Seems as though you are both pointing in the direction of a trackday and getting tuition on the day.

This is something I was going to consider after the responses. I know on paper some of these days (ie the Caterham day) look great on paper but don’t turn out best value for money.

Guess I’ve got a bit of thinking to do. Anymore reccomendations welcome please!

Cheers

5. Not done much of this myself so maybe not the right person to add to this, but I’ve always fancied the lotus track day. I’ve driven an exige V6 on the road and it’s UNBELIEVABLE!! Would love to try it on track and I imagine there’d be a lot to learn from a day in one of those. Plus it’s the RWD box ticked for you and the V6 engine just sounds amazing so that would be fun too. It’s defo on my todo list......

http://www.lotusdrivingacademy.com/

Having said that, value for money, I’d book a trackday and some tuition on the day. An instructor with you all day may not be so great. Personally I needed time to practice what he had told me. A half hour instructor session in the morning and one in the afternoon would be perfect I think. Give you chance on your own to work on what he/she has told you.

ianplymouth and jack250 like this.
  6. They're all great suggestions and you'll learn loads.
    I always have tuition on every track day I do and I've been doing them for many years. It's an investment and sometimes I learn the most unexpected things.
    You can't go wrong using Colin Hoad of CAT driver training, they're a great bunch of friendly people.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jack250 likes this.
  7. Book a trackday then get 1/2 day tuition or the 30 min tuition whichever you can afford

8. I remember doing my first tuition around Knockhill with Marino Franchitti when he worked there. Its good what you can learn in just 25 laps. I also have done a training day a while ago with Andy Walsh at Crail, which was a great day. I'll be looking to do some training again this year again.