R26 Timing belt change

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by charlie1984, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Hi all.. got a new timing belt kit and water pump... anything else recommended to be changed at the same time?

Heard of people doing the aux belt or is that just another name for timing belt lol?

2. Most people do the Aux at the same time, think its every 36k/ 3 years(i think!) its completely different, drives the alternator.
    Are you doing the belt yourself? Do you have the timing tools?

3. Won't be doing it myself my mechanic will :smile: looks like I have to add it to the list

4. Timing aux and waterpump all due at once, renault also recommend the lower pulley but most havent bothered

5. Definetly have the aux belt kit replaced as they have a nasty habit of derailing the cambelt when they break on the F4R. Lower pulley is also a servicable part but most don't replace them, check the condition at the time of replacement.

6. This lower pully is that part of the kit... theres two round pully time things in the timing bekt kit I got??

7. No it isn't, sold as a seperate part. You've got the tensioner and idler pulleys in the kit.

8. I just had all the belts and tensioners replaced and I have a annoying sound on lower revs (1500-2000)

Sounds like a bearing gone.

I replaced the water-pump and the bearing on the alternator, and I still get the sound.

Can the lower pulley make this sort of sound?

I'll try and make a video tommorow

9. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

It will be over tensioned slightly

10. Mark, is there a way for me to check if the tension is right?

I dont trust the garage anymore

If I remove the metal piece where the upper engine mount screws into, will i be able to check for tension on some points on the pulleys?

11. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Remove the top cover and you should be able to check it,
    There's a small cut out in the tensioner and and a mark that should line up, it only has to be slightly over tightened to make it whine, I've been there before!

12. Mark is this the correct manual that I'm looking as to how to check the timing belt?

MR364MEGANE1216_zps64fb666d.jpg

13. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Yeah that's the right one,
    Sounds like the belt is way too tight to me

14. Thanks for all the help Mark