Sponsored By:  

Thruxton 31 August Open Pit Lane Track Day

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Cazper, Aug 7, 2017.

1. anyone going?

2. NJH

NJH

I haven't booked yet but Thruxton is my local track and I love the place so its either that day or the one with MSE the week after.

3. Ok I am booked for that date. If you go it would be good to get some hints and tips for the circuit

4. NJH

NJH

In that case I will get myself booked on, will be taking that week off work.

Its an utterly brilliant track IMHO but very difficult to really get to grips with.

One particular corner, Church shares something with Donnington. Its one of those corners like Craners that punishes you if you're not confident enough with it and won't get the throttle down through the corner apex and exit to keep the car balanced. Also bizarrely you can go 5 to 10 mph faster but also with complete confidence by driving right over the apex kerb. I will show you, its mental balls of steel stuff at first as you aim the car at what looks like 2 foot of field near the marshals post then when you get there the inside wheel rides over a big wide flat kerb followed by that egg crate grating stuff at 110 mph! I used to be terrified by that corner, its now my favourite bend in the country. I promise you you will get a buzz that few corners and tracks in this country can give.

Cazper likes this.
  5. Brilliant I am looking forward to it already.
    I will am u my mobile

6. Fantastic track, and also my local.

I've done it twice now and as mentioned Church is one hell of a corner! A very fast circuit, that makes for some really exciting moments!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Cazper likes this.
  7. Hi Cazper
    I have just booked on this date, not done a trackday for a month or so.
    I was there this weekend just gone for the BSB races, was considering it then but you have now made my mind up :laughing:
    This is my closest track (144 miles from home) never done it before so now is the time.
    You staying over somewhere or travelling in the morning ????

8. Hi matey. Fantastic will be good to meet you and the other guys. I live around 30 miles away in the opposite direction to you. I will drive there on the morning. I trailer the car so always take a good selection of tools and bits. So dont worry about a jack or axlestands if you are driving the car there.

9. I have booked a garage and i usually bring a shed load of stuff :laughing: including spare wheels , oil, spanners etc etc and the fact it might rain, i drive the car to the track so i need a lot of just in case bits :sunglasses:

And i have booked tuition, it's fast and i want to drive home :sunglasses:

10. I don't think I booked a garage so if they are big enough for two cars and you are happy to share I would be happy to pay half

11. More than happy to share mate, you won't miss my car i don't think :sunglasses:

12. That will be great my wheels are a bit lary

13. as long as they stay on that would be good :laughing: can bring some Magnolia paint if required :sunglasses:

Cazper likes this.
  14. How much is it for the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. £169

16. Cheers ,want web site

17. eddshort likes this.
  18. [emoji106]

19. Are you going to book as well,?

20. See if i can get the day off

Cazper likes this.
  21. So is everyone happy with 90 db static?

I have two milltec systems. One their standard race system and anoth modified. By swapping bits round I get 101 or 92 or 85 db depending on which boxes i use.
    I just changed over to the std milltec system box giving 92db at abingdonat 4500 revs

22. I am happy, i think.
    I have a Scorpion non resonated turbo back system, the best i have had is 85db and the worst is 96db same system no changes, Donington i got a 96db drive by :sweat:, all there meters read different so it will depend on the day

23. I also have some noise reducing end caps I had made up and a bag of muffler wadding if needed

24. I am sure it will be okay, i have been on the pit wall while someone else was driving and it wasn't very loud at all

25. NJH

NJH

I have the standard exhaust and the bloke there reckoned it was only 81 dB!

Garages are very small, they are literally like your house garage but with a door at both ends. ISTR the canteen is cash only, pretty decent grub but always seems to be packed over the lunch time. I travel from north Dorset so stop at the shell service garage on the east bound carriageway of the 303 at the Amesbury roundabout to fill up with V power, only 5 to 10 minutes from there to the track.

Cazper likes this.
  26. Hi NJH
    is that the closest place for fuel then ????

27. Cheers for the info. I will be taking 4 x large jerry cans with me so can sell 1 or 2 to the highest bidder lol. V power of course.

28. So going we have...
    Cazper
    Njh
    Ianplymouth
    Eddshort...if can get the day off

Anyone else thinking of going?

29. NJH

NJH

I think Andover is probably closest but its the opposite direction to me, either way its only a few minutes on the A303. Both are Shell garages if that matters (there is a Shell just off the roundabout on the way into Andover).

30. NJH

NJH

I forgot, I managed 12 mpg last time there which sounds surprisingly good to me I was expecting worse.

31. 12mpg you must be driving like miss Daisy, i average 8.5mpg ish most of the time, you need to try harder :laughing:

32. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

Shame it's 90db! I think I was 94db static last year at Goodwood.

33. I have muffler caps and muffler wadding in prep. I also have a db meter so can test with various configurations if you like

34. I seem to get 8.5 to 8.8 depending on circuit and if wet. I think those garages on the 303 are very expensive last time I drove by so you may want to consider getting as much fuel as you can before

35. Its a hobby mate, it cost what it costs life's to short :laughing:, except that at Silverstone they have fuel there and that was 102 octane and for the princely sum of £4.75 a ltr. :rage:

If you think this is expensive try owning a boat. to fill my rib with fuel would cost around £600 and i might get 400 miles from that :sob:
    I also own an SL55 and i have had that down to 6mpg average for a whole tank, £90 that was 6 laps of the ring :sunglasses:

36. NJH

NJH

Its 100 quid + for fuel for the day either way for you guys that are further afield more, and more again if you're going to do a lot of sessions, then if you factor in each day taking about 1/4 to 1/6 of the tyres and front brakes out then it all adds up.

I think I will reset my trip computer next time and see what it says just from pure track driving.

37. don't do it, you will scare yourself, i reset my trip for Spa just shy of 400 miles in two days, because of the long right handers at the bottom of the track, i was getting fuel starvation with just over a third of a tank, so it think i topped up the tank 4 times a day :laughing:

38. Ha ha...It looks like we are very alike, I have a Sealine F43 and that uses a gallon every .5 of a mile at economic cruise (a lot more if you push it), we have easily used £1000 of fuel a day on the sea, luckly it is red diesel on 60/40 or 100 in winter and not petrol. and the M5 can be a bit thirsty at times too. what rib do you have? i had a vipermax 6.5 with an opti 200

39. I did 235 miles around silverstone last time. i find my tyres seem to last two trackdays, and the old ferrodo 2500 pads were only lasting nearly 2 track days as well, the current 1.11 pads are lasting a lot longer thankfully. but i tend to do a lot of laps if the car holds together and it doesnt piss down

40. NJH

NJH

Respect that you nutter :sunglasses:. I have raced there 5 races over 2 meetings and some track days and test days, but I think I have only done about 700 miles there total. 235 miles in one day is properly going some, what was that 2 and 3/4 hours of actual driving on track? No wonder you're only getting 2 track days out of the tyres.

Got the car for it though mate, I am well impressed how much of a pounding these cars take and there not to physical or tiring to drive. My 944 race car was shattering to drive, no PAS, oven like temps in the cabin, a proper workout.