R26 Switching to a 2din stereo

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Topper, Sep 7, 2018.

1. As the title suggests I'm replacing the factory standard stereo with a 2 din touch screen version.

Anything I need to know beforehand?

Any advice on where to go for any supplemntary accessories I need such as a 2 din face plate and any other adaptors I need?

Cheers

2. depends on what you get in the kit when you buy it.
    my pioneer needed a additional face plate,that went on first before the cage was slotted through.
    i bought it off a member on here..think he got the faceplate from ebay.
    The facia on the megane is concave,so its a bit of a faff to fit without gaps,but with patience,i got it perfect.
    A dremel will certainly be a big help,as obviously you have to remove the center spar for the single din stereo,as well as minor trimming here and there...its a tight fit to get the cage in through the faceplate.

You will probably need a additional harness ,if you want to still use steering wheel controls.
    My stereo has video playback,so it had to be wired into the handbrake,as they dont want you watching vids while driving.
    Right asshole to get it crimped in..although i have been told all i really needed to do was,put the wire straight to a ground source!..which would have saved me a hour taking the handbrake surround apart to get to the damn wires!

Will take a pic of mine tmrow.I changed the faceplates colour to anthracite,as the silver is horrible.
    I took out a carbon fibre facia plate,to fit back the original...This has been converted to double din..will chuck a pic of that up to,so you can see the trimming.

Dont fk it up!..they are hard to come by

Topper likes this.
  3. Thanks

4. Buy a decent quality cage (eg £20 Kenwood) - the fitment with cheap ones (£8) is rubbish.

XdTOTvN.jpg

5. Thanks for your help.

I've ordered the bits suggested and now just have to wait for the head unit to arrive.

6. IMG_1521.JPG this had a cage fitted,so use it as a comparison when trimming your faceplate.

7. There are some brands now that make 2-din with a 1-din fitting,but i'm not sure if it will fit with the original faceplate