Suzuki Swift Sport..a more hardcore R26!

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Brands' started by andrewjeffs, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Just bought this mint swift to replace the gaffers ageing puma..and its a hoot.

125 hp from its screaming VVT 1600 lump with turn in like you wouldn't believe on its 195/45 17`s.
    Suspension that was tuned in the UK which is super stiff,but soaks up the bumps.

Zero soundproofing..you can hear the stones pinging around in the arch`s.

It really is a hot hatch throwback,which I didn't think they made since the 90`s..really in the vain of 205/106/306 gti of old.

You have to work the socks of it to make fast progress..but its so much fun.Found myself laughing out loud to myself on B roads the other day.

Dare I say..i have been reaching for the swifts keys,and leaving the R26 at home lately!.

Honestly..if you want a right laugh for peanuts..get one of these.

IMG_3289_zpsqvdas5oy.jpg

GrumpyTwig and Xanda73 like this.
  2. Always liked these, and the older model.

Think I'd be going for the Twingo 133 though - wonder how they compare?

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Theres a reason R4R use Swifts and not Twingos :wink:

Mega little cars, So much fun and capable when set up well.

4. Everything is as it should be..it really did shock me at what it could do.
    Gearshift is probably the best I have ever used.

The fun bit is, you can use every single bit of its performance all the time.

Crap mpg though..about 31-32...mostly down to low gearing and 5 gears.

5. NJH

NJH

I had all the same experience when I had a loan of one for a few days, really loved it especially the crazy handling. Also really good driving position, oddly I found the space around the driver to be really good for such a small car, its like they managed to shrink everything except the bit you sit in.

6. i think the high roofline really helps with the feeling of space

NJH likes this.
  7. I'm definitely a Suzuki Swift Sport fan.

I had a tweaked Baleno also with the same MR16 found in the Sport. Ok, well mine was the earlier SOHC version but then I did work and could keep up with the Sports so that made it feel the same.

For the next few months I'm working on a Turbo upgrade project for these cars. Should be interesting.

I'm off to Japan in a month and will be driving one around there too which should be fun. They're the mainstay of the hill crowd and you see them everywhere out of Tokyo itself.

The new one will have a Turbo engine but no more power. I'm going to be researching what particular IHI turbo is on the new one and what bigger one can go on for more fun.

8. I don't think it needs much more power..like the R26 its a balanced package.
    You can keep up a eye widening pace in it over a twisty road..Where all these small cars start to show limitations is high speed.
    Get it over a certain speed and they start to feel up on tip toes,and nervous.

I think a load more power would just overwhelm the chassis..