R26 Suspenders change?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by eddie ninja, Nov 5, 2017.

1. So I find the standard springs as stiff as I would want to go on the road.
    I would like to lower the car for track performance but everything I'm reading seems the lowered springs would be stiffer.
    What's the best way to go?

2. I've got Cooksport springs on mine. They provide a nice drop, not too low that you catch every speed bump, etc. They're a little stiffer than standard springs but a bit more progressive, so not as crashy. I'd highly recommend these, great for the money too!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. So basically they're going to be stiffer whatever I get? I guess I need to drive a meg with them to see how it feels.

4. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Suspenders change? :tearsofjoy:

5. Driving around town they do feel stiff, but at speed elsewhere they don't feel bad at all. Handling is definitely improved, with less body roll.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6. NJH

NJH

The Eibachs are similar to Cooksport only a little less stiff and probably less of a drop. Personally I think the standard springs are pretty much perfect on the road, I have Cooksports on mine but drive the car on track as well as occasional DD duties, personally if I was only going to use my car on road I would refit the stock springs and sell the Cooksports, I find them too jiggly and unresolved on poor roads but they are a monumental improvement over the standard springs on track.

eddie ninja and Mikey4410 like this.
  7. This is the thing - it's mainly road and occasional TD. So prob should stick with the OEMS?

8. I think for the road,the standard set up is as stiff as you can get without it getting bouncy.
    remember,the R26R`s springs are actually softer the the R26`s,due to its lower weight.
    So that sugests to me that renault would have liked to have fitted softer springs to the R26 if it could have.

eddie ninja likes this.
  9. NJH

NJH

I think I agree with that mate. My car is only very occasional TD use, it depends what one wants to achieve. I drove mine at Thruxton when it was bone stock and the two biggest issues where the rubbish gear change and the laughable brake fade. A shorted mechanism on the box cured the first and a combination of DS1.11 pads and RBF660 fluid the second. IMHO I would do those two things before getting hung up about either tyres or suspension on track, I had no problem doing lots of short sessions on PS2s. On the Cooksports and AD08R tyres the main difference is I just go a lot faster, and for longer, I don't really have any more fun.

Si271 likes this.
  10. When you say faster for longer is that because you're quicker in the corners?
    I'm happy with the tyres (NS2Rs).

I haven't got brakefade - I'm pretty sure I'm overcooking the discs (OEM) as don't do proper cool down laps and will do so from now on. Well we'll see if that's sorted it after Rockingham on the 11th....

11. Come to think of it how do the r26r discs differ from the r26? As in is it a decent easy upgrade?

12. NJH

NJH

Yeah a bit quicker in the corners, the Cooksports also made the car much more stable and thus easier to push hard through fast corners. The stock setup is a little too tail happy which can make some corners properly hairy, Church at Thruxton for example was terrifying on stock springs but on the Cooksports I can match pretty much all the club racers I have been on track with. Its the tyres that are allowing me to stay out much longer, you can drive properly hard on the stock road tyres but not for very long, maybe 10 minutes at a time tops and eventually you do end up running onto the side wall before wearing the tread out as the sidewalls are much too soft.

eddie ninja likes this.
  13. Hi very interested in this thread as i need to refresh mine. Anybody used Grams springs with cup dampers?