265 Suggest me brake pads

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by mexx, Mar 17, 2017.

1. I live in Estonia (quite a cold and wet place to live).
    My car is Meg 2015 RS Cup. I don't do trackdays, but do some spirited driving on the road.

Could you suggest me brake pads that:
    - work in both hot and cold climate,
    - work on the track and also on the street,
    - dust is similar to OEM,
    - noise is similar to OEM,
    - initial bite is somewhat better than OEM,
    - overall braking performance is a bit better than OEM?

My pads have 3mm left so I have to change them soon.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mintex 1144

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Z Rated

4. Z rated

5. NJH

NJH

How well do those PFC Z rated hold up on track lads? Tempted myself as an alternative to M1144 as I can pop into K-tech and get em.

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

More than capable, also a far better pad than the Mintex stuff

7. I have run ferodo ds2500 on my impreza before getting my 265. Couldn't faultr them on road or track. A little dustier perhaps but fantastic hit or cold. Ran ds3000 on my race car and they were also well up to the job. Pf pads i found lost bite when very hot.

8. Z rated are good for 6-7 laps stints but will crumble very quickly on non-plain discs.

9. are these carbon based?

10. NJH

NJH

6 to 7 lap stints is all I do these days anyways, just got into that rhythm and noted that during testing or qualifying I was always putting in my fastest lap after no more than 3 to 4 laps into a session. After 6 or 7 laps its time to come in and think about one is doing, think about improvements etc. Also I have plain disks front and rear so this sounds like a nice option.

Cheers lads.

11. So is this what you've experienced or have you read this ??

The Z rated pad is predominantly a fast road pad with some track use.
    If you want a track pad get the PFC 08s I use both pads according to what I'm asking of the brakes..
    Both of the above are carbon based and very good at what they are designed for.
    Available from www.asperformance.com

12. When speaking to various companies and lads on here this last week regarding brake pads, z rated came out on top. My list of credentials from the pads were pretty much identical to yours @mexx.

With regards to using them with plain or grooved, not one of the companies said this would be an issue and anything I'd heard about not using them with grooves was a myth.

13. I think I have answered that one once - there is an overwhelming consensus from a high number of French MRS3 track drivers on the same thread that started 5 years ago and it is now accepted that the Z-rated is NOT compatible with the grooved discs for track use. Not because of accelerated wear like you would expect but because those discs will very quickly destroy those pads.

I have not experienced it because I follow the unanimous advice of a large number of track day billies having used that very combo, the likes of which we simply do not have in this country.

It makes NO sense whatsover and I have no issues whatsoever with anyone thinking it's made up although I struggle to see the motive behind doing that.

Again, anyone speaking French and reading that thread would come to the same conclusion. Like someone here did actually, but can't remember who.

The rhetoric where you HAVE to experience it yourself for it to be a valid point is flawed. I don't need to dive in shallow water and brake my neck if 5 other divers tell me it's shallow. Particularly when I can go 100m further and not experience that issue.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  14. Did any of those companies actually tracked those pads on Megane grooved discs ?

15. Not in a Megane but on grooved discs. Doesn't matter if it's a Megane or not really. They would surely state in the sale of the product that they aren't compatible with grooved discs if this were the case?

16. They are compatible for road use where the likelihood of overheating them is pretty slim. It does matter if it's a Megane and that's the point I am struggling to make. There is no logic to it as grooved shouldn't be such an issue on track apart from the expected faster wear due to to the classic cheese grater effect. Those particular discs may have poor tolerance which may also explain why they were ultimately dropped by Renault as the cost delta must be negligible, who knows ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  17. Mine should be on in the next week or so so will keep the forum updated on the results

18. I am doing a trackday at Brands soon (25/4/17) it will interesting how the pads last and perform..

19. Do you have grooved mate?

20. Yes as per original set up..

jack250 likes this.
  21. Is it just 265s that came with grooved discs as standard? I'm fitting plain ones on mine next as my current grooved ones got very noisy on track.

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Grooved discs offer nothing over the plain discs on them other than noise. I detest running the grooved ones but until I find a cheap solution to that I'll stick with them

23. Are they cheaper than the plain OE ones Jamie ?

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You can get grooved discs for 130 a pair

25. Mine is a RS 250, as far as I know it came as standard with grooved discs..

26. Mine is 265 Cup, and plain discs.

27. Got Z-rated fitted and the wear is high. Have the genuine grooved disc. Done about 2000km and only 7mm per pad left.

28. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Grooved discs highly exacerbate pad wear so I'm not surprised....

nickfrog and BIG E like this.
  29. Did not know it was so worse.. Why did Renault choose for these discs? Only for the looks?

Which pads are good with the grooved discs? Track days only a few in the summer.

30. So do you want to a pad that that lasts forever?

PF ' Z' rated pads are obviously designed to wear but at the same time to give very good stopping performance. They are also fairly easy on the discs.

If you want a pad that lasts forever and gives the same type of performance then something has to give in this case it's the disc.

If you want a pad that lasts and will take all the punishment you can give it, use Performance Friction 08 compound, (harsher on the discs and can squeal)
    These are a excellent pad actually used in such races as the 24 hr Le mans but they are around £200 like everything you get what you pay for.

AS Performance can supply you what ever you decide use to suit your pockets..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    ArnoRS likes this.
  31. That is consistent with others using this very combination and is above and beyond what the effect of grooved disc should have on wear. Those particular two basically don't play nicely together but play nicely with other pads/discs.

32. What pads do you recommend with the genuine grooved discs?

33. I have no experience of these discs so I can't really help !