R26 Steering wheel shake whilst hard braking

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by eddie ninja, Oct 17, 2017.

1. So have come home early from a TD at Brands today cos of above.
    Am hoping it's just from me not allowing the brakes to cool enough between sessions and not doing cool down laps cos I've come from bikes and don't have the patience innit.

Met KentBloke who very nicely checked it wasn't a loose nut issue again.

I'm assuming I've got standard pads so if I upgrade to DS2500s for example will this help?
    I get Brands has a lot more braking than Bedford so this will account for part of it.

Advice please.
    TIA

2. probably pad pick up, shame it put an end to your day mate, i use to get it a lot until someone showed me how to brake to avoid it.

3. Don't be shy! Tell me! ;-)

4. Would have thought thats warped discs.thats only time i had that at brands

5. NJH

NJH

Loads of things can cause uneven build up on the disks:
    1) Driving into the ABS so the ABS is activating a lot, easy to forget this is automated lock up and release
    2) Hammering the pedal down hard (and probably instantly into the ABS) rather the squeezing it down briskly and then releasing smoothly as part of the turn in phase
    3) Keeping your foot in the brake when you come back into the pits, helps if you can let the car roll a little after stopping
    4) Not bedding in the brake pads properly after fitment
    5) ....and lastly in case I have forget anything some pads are just a bit shit and will melt onto the disk all over the place if got properly hot.

Like many I had this issue several years back, can't remember the last time I had brake judder and never had it after my first race season back in 2010.

Also don't forget that hammering into the ABS can result in tyre flat spots and uneven rubber pick up, the pick up can also be really bad from driving off line a lot. This will also cause the steering wheel to feel like its shaking about but can be driven through by scrubbing off the tyres to even them up again and rub all the pickup off.

eddie ninja likes this.
  6. Thanks for this.
    1. How do I get around the abs issue?
    2. Will try that.
    3. And this.
    4. Am assuming they're ok as they were fine at previous TD at Bedford in June.
    5. What pads would you recommend? Cheap :-)

Ta

7. The answer to number 5 i would say is PF z rated I think i paid £114 delivered

eddie ninja likes this.
  8. What do you think of the standard brembo pads? Would I be able to do less cool down laps etc with the PF z ones?
    Actual braking performance-wise I'm happy with the standard pads.

9. NJH

NJH

You get round the ABS issue by not kicking the pedal down and instead squeezing it down (briskly). Its only by squeezing it you get to gauge by feel how much pressure will bring the car to the threshold of the ABS triggering, but not have the ABS firing away like crazy.

eddie ninja likes this.
  10. I have never used standard Brembo pads and i think most on here wouldn't either unless it was for road use only, a bit like tyres really, you wouldn't fit some £30 Chinese tyres for a track day and wonder why they wouldn't get you around a corner (or would you ???)

If you do a track day at the likes of Brands, i would do a full lap as a cool down lap, that is keeping your speed up as best as you can without being on hard boost and try to keep off of the brakes as much as possible, it is not just your brakes that need the run down it's the engine and more so trying to even the temperature of the turbo out, also a cool down lap is another way of trying your racing lines out at a more sedate speed (as long as there isn't anyone behind you) i tend to do a full run down/cool down lap at all circuits.

eddie ninja likes this.
  11. I put new ns2r's on when i got the car as my research said they were about the cheapest decent TD tyre and they have been so far. There's no point me getting all the best tyres/pads on straightaway as i've only driven a car on tracks twice (inc Brands now) and never owned a fast car. Find my limits then upgrade. I'm prob more trusting of the brembo's coming from bikes.

I absolutley loved my car on track (until this issue) and i wasn't the slowest and had a few decent battles. Dont feel like i need more power yet. Never a fan of Brands when i did bike TD's there - too small and too busy. Bedford wouldve been my first choice but no days i could do. Def want to to give Snet ago.

Will def take the cool down more seriously - again sorry to bang on about bikes but i never needed to with my ninja. :-)

12. The brakes on a bike are a bit more in the open, i have had a lot of bikes in the past, never did a track day on any of them but a spirited ride out you would always end up driving fairly steady through town to get home and that would even the temps out.

how about you getting yourself to Abingdon on the 10th November

13. Working a niteshift before plus broker than a broke thing. Enjoy.

14. Save some pennies for next year then, looks like i have an engine and gearbox rebuild to do for next year, but i like track days so it's going to happen :sunglasses: