225 Steering problem

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by bbaxby, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hi

i have a steering problem but I have been told so many things it could be, inner tie rods, the rack, hub bearings but how do you know what it is, my car weeves all over road follows ruts really bad and there's a loud knocking on full lock when turning any ideas which one it could be?

2. jack the car up and give the wheels a wiggle and see if theres movement then youll have an idea if its hub bearings or not.

3. Yeah they do abit but would that cause knocking when turning?

4. is it loose on both wheels or just one? it could be a cause of the knocking as it has free movement. but you should also hear a noise when driving about like a grinding sound if they have gone.

5. It's both wheels mate but there's no grinding I've taken it to several garages and they've looked at it and drove it but typically didn't play up for them grr I can't get to bottom of it haha

6. sounds like one of them annoyances and might just have to rule out the cheapest suggested options first :/ it happen on specific surfaces like bumpy roads?

7. I'd say you have two issues. The first one will be a combination of the inner/outer tie rods, and the hub bearings. If when the wheel waggles there is longitudinal movement on the rack then that'll need a referb as well.

The knock could be a number of things, if its just one clunk then I'd suggest tightening the rack bolts and see if that helps...its free and nothing lost!

Paul

8. Right had a look underneath and the hubs have got serious play on the bottom bearings, I'm just wondering if you can buy the bearings and where from or is it a new hub time?