265 Sound generator removal

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by massivewangers, Dec 5, 2017.

1. I've been looking into fitting an induction kit and removing the sound generator, along with fitting a recirc blanking plate. The plate seems easy enough (fit plate, block hose), induction kit is easy enough, but I haven't found much information about what needs to be done with the sound generator.

Can anyone shed any light? I did a search but can't find much.

2. Remove it off the pipe and bung it up, or replace the whole pipe going onto the throttle body with a straight piece of silicon hose.

3. Ah yes, just found a post about the bung. Will order one of those for now as they're only a few quid. Will probably look to remove the pipework altogether at some point though, as I like things neat lol.

4. What's the advantage of removing the sound generator, or blocking it up?

5. I would get a recirc valve, not a blanking plate

6. To me it just seems a bit unnecessary. Once I have an induction kit and with the exhaust mod, I don't think it will really be adding much. We will see though.

I know some think the blanking plate is controversial but I like chatter and I don't think it will do the turbo any notable harm, so think it's worth a go. Easily reversed if I don't get on with it.

7. I've got a Forge Recirc Valve and I'm amazed how much it chatters, compared to the videos I've seen for Blanking plates it's very similar.

Think I'm running the Yellow Spring in mine

8. Do you have any video?

9. Just uploaded this, best one I've got to hand : https://flic.kr/p/ZSpmHX

That's with a KTR Induction Kit & Forge Recirc

10. I did that video a while ago but I'd say that with the Turbo just coming on full boost, say 3kish

As you go higher revs it dumps quicker and chatters less

11. Thanks mate, interesting to hear. Couldn't find any on YT, only the Forge atmospheric. For the cost of the blanking plate, I think I'll give it a go. As I say, easy to change back!

I'd quite like the KTR induction kit, but they don't half know how to charge. Going to make my own methinks!

12. Yes I only went Recirc as everyone said it was best for the car, but then people run blanking plates with no issues and they're over £100 cheaper so a decent saving!

Agreed, it wasn't cheap, I didn't fancy the ITG with the low placement as the roads do flood where I live. I was just going to make my own with a Ramair Filter but I like the cage with the KTec one as it looks very much OEM+ and fairly hidden - not just a 'oooh he's added a big cone filter' haha. But I don't doubt performance wise it's any different from a Ramair!
    37184443073_516289fb52_o.jpg
    37194835004_5d26cd9f00_o.jpg

Also trust me, you won't want to change back...some of those bolts are a bloody pain lol

13. Agreed on the ITG. I'm not keen on them being mounted down low. I use my car in all weathers and don't want to worry about drowning my car every time there is some standing water about. I'd like the shield too. I was hoping to pick up a KTR one used, copy the shield and then sell it again but no luck so far lol. I've got some ally sheet so might see what I can come up with.

14. I think you would have to go through some pretty deep water to effect the itg, I know it's pretty low, but I would probably turn around if it was that deep, even if I did not have one fitted :tongueout:

15. I see deep water as a challenge though :tearsofjoy:

Mikeyjp likes this.
  16. Im running diy setup behind the battery and tbf dont run a shield and never had any running problems.

17. Got any pics? As I'm looking at making one myself.

18. This is mine:

39855597131_d14f1b7866_b.jpg IMG_20171224_145624 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

39823226672_179ba5a432_b.jpg IMG_20171224_142651 by Jon Scoltock, on Flickr

19. Looks Good! What pipe did you use to attach to the Ramair?

20. 08EDA390-E029-45D4-9CCA-1196B95DF43D.jpeg

LewisIrvine likes this.
  21. LewisIrvine likes this.