Should i keep her?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by paul_sbt, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Ok, last month my wife exchanged her old MK5 Golf TDI ('04) for a Candy White MK5 GTI in mint condition, at first we did it too make some money on it because it was a nice deal. Lat week the wife said, why don't you sell your 225 and keep the Golf? At first i thought, HELL NO, don't want to be a GTI sheep :wink: but now i'm thinking, it really is a nice car, the color and big screen navi etc just looks really great! But then again the good deal is gone if i sell the Meg the money would could make on it is gone, soo what would you guys do?
    Would you trade in a PH1 225 for a 2008 MK5 GTI? The Meg will be a bit harder to sell and will be sold for way less money as the GTI??

2. Keep the megane or even better sell the golf and your megane and buy a newer megane!

3. Sell the megane and buy a mk 1 r32

4. LOL i absolutely love my Meg and normally the only upgrade i consider is a 250/265, but the Golf is such a nice car to be in! The mk1 R32 is nice, but imo nut nicer then a mk5 GTI except for the noise

This is her car

12856551655_f0fbba2d25_b.jpg
    Untitled by Paul_jazzy83, on Flickr

5. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

I do love the look of Golfs. Especially the latest model! Never driven one though.

My parents had one just like that pictures above and it was a lovely place to be in, much better than the Megane.

6. Our family car is a mk5 gt tdi and it's been a great car. It hasn't missed a beat since we've owned it for the last 6 years. The build quality alone stands out from the Megane but I have a soft spot for my Renaults!

7. The second R32 (mk5?) is the one I'd want. That sound alone. *goosebumps*
    £500 to tax though :-o
    to me the earlier one (mk4?) just looks naff. Neither modern nor old school, just naff.

Interior wise my R26 lux is a nice place to be. I had it next to a focus ST of the same age earlier and the focus looked so boring in comparison. Cloth?! Cloth door cards?!

8. They drive like crap though the R32's. I test drove a few with a view to part exing the meg but it felt like a tank. Front end washes as soon as you throw it in to a bend and running costs are horrible.

9. The golf gtis are highly tunable. Boy at my work had a golf r which is the 2l turbo running 380hp. The r32 sounds amazing looks good but are slow that's what puts me off them

10. They have the s3 engine on the golf R don't they Jamie? Bigger turbo and stronger internals I think

11. Not 100 percent sure mate can find out but they are really nice

12. They are very nice. Luxury motors them when you've been in a renault.

13. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

I keep looking at golfs, something is drawing me to a german car next

14. If you're going to spend as much as what a Golf R costs you may as well buy an M135i

15. Well the point of the topic was if you would change your Meg for a Candy White MK5 GTI fully standard, swaying more to the Meg at the moment, as the drive experience is more 'alive' in the Meg. The Golf just is more decent build quality. How do you compare them for the looks?

16. I think comfort and quality definitely the golf mate but looks and drive the meg. Golf will hold it's value better too

17. Do bears sh!t in the woods?? :wink:

Personally I prefer the Megane, far more character, quirky and different to the Golf. The Golfs are lovely cars but Megane gets my vote any day.

18. Correct. Same engine and K04 Turbo in the Golf R, Ed30 and ED35 too. All remap to circa 300bhp. Bigger injectors (and IC) on the S3 mind.

I came from an Ed30 pre Megane R26. Mine was mapped, loonacy speed wise !! Much quicker than the Meg in a straight line but the R26 handles like a go cart so its swings and roundabouts (pardon the pun) on what you want from a performance hatch. The Golf is better built and comfier obviously, but the drive of the Megane is so much better. Standard Golf Gti wont be any quicker than a Meg though.

19. I thought they were mate and yeah I'll say pretty much the same as you. Gotta say the ED30's are mega. You'll have to get a picture up.

20. Ok fella, will do.....

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  21. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Yes!!!

23. Only just seen this. That cars sexy mate

24. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

It is a nice looking Golf!

25. Ash87