Rs250 blown up

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jaime Rawson, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Hi guys,

First post I've only recentre signed up unfortunately not a good one to start off with.

Desperate need of help. I was driving home on the motorway today on cruise control, when I heard a bang like I ran over somethsom big ( i didn't) the engine failure light came on and i pulled over on the hard shoulder. The car was grinding it seemed. As I got out there was oil everywhere. It seems like its mostly from the drivers side but can't really see. Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have an idea what it could be? I'm guessing the RS is dead but really hope not.

Thanks guys

2. So what was the outcome of this ? hole in sump/ hole in block ?

3. Hi mate. Still no outcome, got an inspector round to determine who's at fault(me or preexisting fault). Couldn't find evidence of it being mine but it needs to go into a garage to get stripped down to inspect it further but the finance company are dragging there heels. Very annoying.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

4. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

I had this exact problem with my 225 a couple months ago, ended up being a rod going through the block. Has it been remapped?

Attached Files:

5. Hi mate,no not remapped at all. It went on the motorway on cruise control.

6. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Hmm mine went because there was too much torque and it finally snapped. Was there a plume of smoke behind you?

7. I wouldn't know mate, it was pitch black when it happened. How was you driving when yours went?

8. Same happened to me last year, rod snapped. Probably wear and tear with too much torque. Snapped while accelerating on the motorway in 4th gear WOT. Lots of smoke and a pool of oil below the car when i stopped the car. Blew a big hole in the engine just like Charlie’s photo is showing. Seems to happen to some regardless of being mapped although more power won’t help.

9. Did you fix the car or just get rid? I'm still waiting to hear back from the finance company.

10. Fixing it seemed like the better option since an engineless car is worth jack. Engines can be found fairly cheap. Forged mine in the proces, parts are cheap, labor is expensive.

-Jamie- likes this.