RS Monitor - Throttle Settings

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Jimbob 2705, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Normally have my 250 on the 'Linear' setting on the RS Monitor but put it on the 'Extreme' setting and was amazed at the difference,

Obviously the throttle was a lot more sensitive, but there definitely a noise difference when giving it some stick and the exhaust definitely pops more

I'm not sure if it's just the noise and the sensitive throttle but it felt quicker, a lot more instant - sort of press it and go

I was amazed at the difference!

So what do these settings actually do? Obviously you've got the graph showing torque in relation throttle input, but say if you went full throttle on both I guess the car would accelerate at the same speed?

2. I just have mine in Sport, find Extreme too touchy.

Jimbob 2705 likes this.
  3. Can't give you the answer to your question, but I agree the car feels much more alive and on its toes in the more aggressive settings. And I also feel the noises are different in the different modes.

I find extreme just too over sensitive. Like an on/off switch. I went back and forth between linear and sport for a few weeks after buying the car. But I've settled on sport. Which I think suits the car most.

No idea what I'll do with all these settings if I get the car mapped. Which I will! Ha.

Jimbob 2705 likes this.
  4. Cheers chaps!

I've done some more testing with it today;

Extreme definitely makes the exhaust pop more and louder - 100%.
    It also seems to make the exhaust louder when giving it stick I.e. Full throttle

As mentioned though it is incredibly sensitive and very on/off!

I still can't get out my head that it seems slightly quicker, whether it's just because of that initial throttle response or the noise, but when it comes on boost it seem a lot more aggressive...or it's more than likely all in my head, using the term 'more alive' I think says it perfectly!

I'm pretty sure I've settled on the following :

Motorway - Cruise Control (And non sport mode as a result)
    Town - Sport Mode in Linear
    Driving - Sport Mode in Sport

As said the Sport mode is a lot more useable than the Extreme mode, but makes the car that bit more 'on its toes' so to speak

Would love to hear others experience on this! Half tempted to do some pulls later and time them, and see if there is a difference

Mine has also been mapped by RS Tuning so not sure how this effects my results compared to others?

5. Turns out I could be right!
    IMG_6791.PNG

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Load of rubbish. They are purely throttle sensitivity settings. It will pop more in the more aggressive modes because it's so much easier to tap it and dump more fuel in.

Linear is the best if you want it to actually be a throttle and not and on off switch. Far better modulation, I dont think I've bothered changing it for months as I find that the best setting especially for track work where you need the modulation

Nigelo likes this.
  7. The 250 should only change the throttle map AFAIK; the 265/275 do provide more power though.

To clarify what the differing throttle maps are actually doing (and the RS Monitor 2 shows this via a graph):
    • all the maps start with zero throttle opening for zero pedal pressure
    • all the maps end with wide open throttle at full pedal pressure
    • extreme map ramps up the throttle opening faster than the pedal pressure (steeper curve) (green line)
    • sport map as above but not quite so steep
    • linear map maintains throttle opening/pedal pressure rate, so 25/25, 50/50, 75/75, 100/100 (red line)
    • snow map (which you can't get without the extra power on 275:frowning:) reduces the relationship, so a shallow curve (blue line)
    The graph isn't mine (or Renault's) but this is the basic premise. Please note, due to the way the engine responds and the way that drag squares with speed, the acceleration of the car won't follow the same shape as the throttle map curve.

To answer a question posted by the OP, at wide open throttle in any map, you should not notice any difference. Obviously you can't go from nothing to WOT instantly, so you will always feel a little difference in practice.

thottle_map.jpg

Mikeyjp likes this.
  8. Perfect thanks for that both, and good explanation Xanda

I think my original findings were just case of not pressing the pedal down far and quick enough, it's obviously a lot more noticeable when pushing the pedal down gradually rather than stamping on it

9. Leave mine in linear. Can't really understand why anyone wouldn't want their throttle pedal response to be anything other than linear really.

-Jamie- likes this.
  10. I leave mine in normal around town although sometimes switching to sport. I find the sport setting to be a good mix of fun but not too sensitive. I tried linear and despite knowing that it's the best setting for control, sport just feels that bit more exciting.

11. The difference in how these throttle maps are perceived is because you get used to one map (linear in town for instance), then the sport or extreme map feels a lot quicker when on a faster road.

It would be the same if you drove round constantly in the snow map and then switched to linear - it would feel faster.

I don't agree with people saying it's pointless - you do get a better engine response that what you are used to, that's undeniable. The torque arrives more quickly. This makes people feel that the drive is more exciting, which is surely the whole point?

Sure, if you left the map in sport or extreme all the time, then this feeling would be perceived as normal, and a flatter map would feel slow and unexciting. This isn't really possible in town though - try parking in a tight space in extreme mode if you want a laugh.

12. Sticking the extra power only in Sport mode on the 265/275 was a bad move by Renault. A bit of a gimmick. You should have max power available in all modes and then all you have to do is play about with the detailed Monitor throttle modulation settings. Plus you could then keep cruise control available with max power. Less farting about with switches and modes.

You can get it mapped out with a remap and have (more) max power in both normal and sport modes. Best option.

13. Or you could think about it the opposite way. By making the sport map have more power, but reset after start, you've saved money on your tax bills, as the car emits less CO2 when rated at 250...

14. The big CO2 and tax change was when they went for Stop/Start on the 265/275.

15. I use linear, I like sport aswell but then you have to recalibrate your rev matches/heel toe everytime you switch modes because it differs alot from throttle map in normal mode.
    Wich is rather anoying when just going for a short drive.