R26 Replacement Pads... confused

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by idontknow, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Hi,
    Just bought an R26 that needed the rears brakes doing so getting OEM discs and Pads for the rears next week but checked the front pads today and they are looking a bit low. Was looking at Pads and saw these - http://www.roadtrackraceparts.com/brembo-oem-brake-pads-front-renaultsport-megane-225-230.html they seem cheap particularly against the K Tec ones here http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2090. I am obviously missing something but as they are both Brembo, could someone please put me straight?
    thanks

George@RTR Parts likes this.
  2. Ktec are always expensive. George at @George@RTR Parts is the chespest around and with fast delivery.

I cant recommend him enough

idontknow and George@RTR Parts like this.
  3. you are not missing anything..KTEC are always expensive..its the same pad.
    The standard Brembo pads are not great though.
    If you are a steady driver,then no problems.

But if you throw fast road and trackdays in..they will not be up to the job.

Obviously they are cheap(from the right place),but superior pads are available for sensible money.

I use Carbotech xp8`s..which are epic..but pricey.

For a decent compromise..lots use Carbonlorraine RC5+,and PF Z rated pads,
    with good results on the road and track at sensible money.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  4. double post..deleted.

5. idontknow likes this.
  6. Brill, thanks all, appreciate it.
    Steady driver off the track... I have an alternative track pad plan

7. Cool, and he is local to me it seems :-)

8. If your track pads are carbon based clean off the disks before you put them on,if you are running standard pads before.Carbotech recommend at least a good rub down to remove possible contaminates that can transfer onto the pads.

9. Genuine renault pads arent made by brembo anyway, there ferodo. The brembo oem spec pads are genuinly half the price of renaults oem pads.

10. They are, the brembo is just marking for the caliper there for, there not made by brembo. Theres a ferodo stamp on there aswel it just not painted in white.

11. That's good to know, thanks

12. Dont know about the 225, but the oem pads from renault were crap on my 250, they squealled all the time, the brembos were alot better in that department, not to sure in the stopping area thou, now running trw pads, which are even cheaper. More or less the same as the brembo pads.

13. Make sure you replace the pins when you do the front pads.
    I sell uprated stainless pins to my spec which won't corrode in like the normal pins. Send me a message if you are interested in a set.

Ian

14. I don't expect the standard Brembo pads I fitted to my R26 last night to be anything other than adequate for road use. My plan is to have another set of discs and a set of XP8s to use on track and swap then in prior to heading to the track. After years of faffing on with 'normal' brakes the Brembos are a pleasure to work on!

15. the carbotech's are one best pads available but i'd go with XP10 rather than XP8 for track, noticeably better retardation and heat management than XP8 yet still kind to disc

16. Yeah, the XP10 could be a good shout now I'll be going for a dedicated track pad. After speaking to Ian at Carbotech I originally planned on running XP8s for road and track, but since my discs needed replaced fairly urgently and I haven't got any trackdays booked up in the immediate future for bedding them in correctly I just threw the a set of oem spec Brembo pads on.

bobsan likes this.
  17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

XP10s are pretty full on, I've ran both the 10s and 8s, obviously the 10 are the better hardcore pad but the 8s are still a very, very good pad on track if you use the brakes properly

18. if you do put the xp8`s in.dont make the mistake i did,and not run them through the proper bedding in heat cycles.
    On the road they were increadible,but when i went to the ring,and because i had not heated them up to max temp..they glazed over and i lost a lot of braking performance.

When i got home,i had to take them out,and grind away a few MM of material to get them back.

19. That's exactly why I haven't got them fitted now. My discs were at their minimum thickness and cracking so had to be replaced. I didn't want to risk ruining a great, and expensive set of pads by bedding them in badly on the road. I'll buy new discs as well as the Carbotech's and fit them at the track and bed them in as per Carbotechs bedding in procedure to minimise that risk.

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Bedding in procedure for them isn't too complex tbf, get them properly hot til they fade then leave them overnight.

21. Daz

Daz

How quick can they fade? I'd be bedding them in on the road.

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They need a fair amount of heat in them, I've always managed on the road but I am quite lucky with my location that there's plenty places to do so

23. Daz

Daz

I was thinking left foot on brake while no one is around!

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

More likely to glaze them that way tbf

andrewjeffs likes this.
  25. if you follow what it says in the instuctions its a series of stages with the last stage taking them right up to fade..which isnt that easy on the road unless like jamie says..you have deserted roads to really stand on the brakes.
    You really dont realize how powerful they can be until you really stamp on it..like time going backwards!

26. Following this.
    I've done one TD with the standard oem pads on my r26 and apart from loads of dust (white wheels) they seemed fine. If I upgraded would I feel much difference?

Was a scorching hot day and I didn't get any noticeable fade. (I might well not have been close to pushing them though)?

27. a quality pad like the xp8 will give you more bite and obviously take a lot more before fading.
    I stick with the xp8 as i like the no warm up period...they bite super hard from cold.

28. Daz

Daz

Surely holding the brake on a fast road for several seconds would generate some heat!

29. It would generate heat, but not in the correct way. You need to do a series hard stops to do it properly, hence why Carbotech say to bed them in on track.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  30. Ok so went to George at @George@RTR Parts for the pads and agree, good price with great service, next day, yay.
    So, now thinking I might do the discs on the front too as doing disc/pads on the rear, pads on the front, new SRF fluid... it only the discs on the front (does anyone bother with braided lines.. maybe another post...)
    So, same query with front discs - how come such a disparity in prices? From George at RTR - 90 to 240 and carparts4less 40 to 130, Renault OEM via ebay (Smiths Renault) 220 and Ferodo on ebay at 99 - these are all for a pair btw.
    I am going to swap the day to day Brembo ones from RTR for Ferodo/CL on the track but the discs I was looking for a steer on things as a bit confused - are Renault OE grooved and drilled at 240 really that good compared to the 40, 90 or anywhere in between options?

Looking for value not the cheapest so appreciate any views, thanks

31. plain carbon solid brembos from george will do just what you need, around 45 each so a bargain as well. i have these on mine and work perfect even on track or especially on track

32. with hard braking etc you may find your pads disappear a fair bit quicker with drilled disks. the solid brembos provide more than enough braking power with decent pads. I had drilled disks before and my pads would go very quickly, now on solid disks they pads seem to last a lot longer with less dust.....just my 2p worth

idontknow likes this.
  33. Its got solid discs on it now, not sure how I'd tell the manufacturer but assume they are after market as the standard would be driiled? On that point, the car is on 75k, if they aren't original then how often do these things go through front discs?

34. if they are perfectly flat across the disk on both sides and the thickness is near original thickness then they might be quite new but to be honest i would just swap them out for new ones to go with the new pads...optimum then....my pads were 200 and the disks around 85 (solid carbon brembos) and I was really pleased i did swap them out together. depends on your budget i guess....rear disks are less critical on these cars as are the rear pads

35. also pads and disks are a cinch to change on these cars....disks are very easy to change and you will need a larger allen socket to remove the calipers
    i purchased this set and worked a treat

upload_2017-9-9_22-16-23.png

36. Thanks Cazper, will get a garage to do the rears but will attempt the front and the fluid swap (with help) and I have a set of those sockets but appreciate the pointers as I am very much a novice, cheers

37. Get the garage to do the fluid as well, they will have a machine to get the ABS valves to open to get all the old fluid out.