225 Recommended tyres?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Azagedon, Jan 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. As above can any one recommend some tyres (not semi slicks), all year round?

2. Michelin Pilot Sport 3's. Good all round tyre with loads of grip and really good in the wet. Much better than the falken's that were on the car when i bought it!

3. Not tyres again

4. They are on offer on camskill atm, might go for those. Steve1 I found no threads on recommended tyres so here we are :smiley:.

5. As above, PS3's are great all year round. Had mine on since the summer and had no problems in the dry/wet.

6. Yeah i saw they were on offer the other day! I might order a couple at that price for my rear tyres!

7. Only £107, every where else is literally double the price :blush:

8. I've only heard good things about the PS3s and I'm sure they're an excellent tyre for the price - especially on offer.

Interestingly though, I understand that the Pilot Super Sport is actually the replacement for the PS2 (which was standard fit on the R26), whereas the PS3 is intended to replace the mid-range "Pilot Exalto".
    See here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Performance-from-track-to-street.htm

I'm running the Super Sport and, although not the cheapest option, I'm very happy with them in all conditions.

9. Ive had ps2 and ps3. Ps2 is much sharper and sportier, i fitted ps3s as i was on the markers and ps2 werent available and regretted it.

when my new ps2s are up itll be ps2 again or pss if they come in 235 by then

10. Bit odd that, funny how the PSS is a lot more expensive than the PS2 and all. Can't find the right size either.

You could get a bit more grip with 245 wide tyres. I had them on my car for a bit, until I realised one had a puncture (part worns). No rubbing, and the change to the speedo will be tiny.

11. I bought the PSS in 225/40 18 size.
    They have a rim/kerb protection lip which still sits just proud of the alloys despite the very slightly narrower fitting, as you can see in this pic:

[​IMG]

Using a tyre size calculator, the difference in diameter/circumference is pretty inconsequential:

235/40 18 = 25.4" diameter
    225/40 18 = 25.1" diameter
    At an indicated 70mph on the 235, you'll actually be doing 69.2mph on the 225 - not a big deal IMO.

The 'R was offered with PS2s in 235/40 or Toyo 888s in 225/40, suggesting that either size is OK.

12. I got the pss' in 225 guise on mine too... didn't realise the width of the tyre would make any change to the diameter..

13. It's because the sidewall height (second number) is expressed as a percentage of the width. In this case, 225/40 indicates that the width is 225mm and the sidewall height is 40% of 225mm (90mm). Whereas 235/40 gives a sidewall height of 94mm.

Lord knows why they use such an obscure system! If you're changing the width of your tyres, you can use a tyre size calculator to find the size that maintains the same overall diameter/circumference.

14. Ah I see.. learn something new everyday!

15. IMO, for what it's worth the PS2 will be the best all round tyre for the megane in the 235 size, but if it's worth it in cash settle for the 225, you'll notice no difference what so ever mate.

16. Its worth a lot!

PS2 is still a fantastic tyre.
    Conti 5p also fantastic..lasted 5 mins!

Bought Goodyear asymmetrical this time, due to good right ups.....i hate them..hate them!..dead steering,no turn in..massive mistake.

Next time,if i can still get them...PS2.

17. they will improve, got them on my evo they are great

i just put P zeros on my 175 dci, didnt like tham at first slippy/slidy and noisey but seem alot better now

18. Guys do you reckon it would affect handling significantly if I was to have 225/40 PS3's on the front and 235/40 Eagle F1's on the rear?

19. I put conti 5p's on mine 2 months ago and need a new pair already ! Good tyres though

20. Had the PS2s on my old R26, they were brilliant, I bought a set of 4 RE 050a tyres with 7mm on them off a mate of mine for £200 who is a second hand tyre dealer, I've got them on my spare set of wheels to use on the road over the bad weather, not really tried them yet but I'm hoping they'll be ok

21. i doubt you would tell the difference between 225 and 235, save your money and get 225

22. I've had Toyo t1 sport on mine for 2yr now and the fronts are just above limit now, they've been a great all round tyre IMO but even better when it's nice and sunny and that's with a mixture of driving fast road use and country roads lol
    If I can find them I'll be getting them again, they were 105 a corner from cam skill 2yr ago!

23. Bump to this thread, am I ok running 235/40/18 on the back and 225/40/18 on the front?

24. They both fit the cup wheels but why would you need to different sizes ?

25. I don't need different sizes I just need to replace 2 and the ones I have are the 235's, the ones I want are 225.