Recommend me some pads

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Nicholas Weston, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Hi guys, been having thoughts about selling the 265 and getting something cheaper. It’s only a second car and doesn’t get used that much.

Anyway, went and had a drive in a modified 2008 Focus St yesterday. Thankfully the dealer took me on an epic road and I was able to really push it. Initially I was very impressed but decided for a fair comparison I’d take the 265 on the same road. Well, I was blown away by the difference, made me fully realise that there is literally no comparison. Worlds apart in every way.

To cut a long story short, I’m keeping mine and have decided to spend money improving it.

Budgeting for a set of AD08R’s, new fluid - Motul RBF660 and a new set of front pads.

I have new Brembo pads all road and plenty of life left in the grooves discs but just have never felt like the stopping power is not as good as the Clio 200 I had. That was running Ktec grooves discs and DS2500’s and was immense. I appreciate that the Megane is heavier and I’m probably entering corners at a higher speed too.

I’d like to get the car on track this year but that will be minimal I expect due to other commitments.

I’m looking for recommendations for a pad suitable for heavy/fast road use and occasional track use. Are the DS2500 good on the Megane or should I be looking elsewhere?
    Ideally, I don’t want something that’s going to eat the discs or squeal under light/cool use.

Ta. Nick

2. Coming frm somebody who has just done a trackday i will tell u straight up that ds2500 will be no good.cars heavy and will overheat them fast. I used ds3000s on my snet trackday few weeks back and whilst they did not fade whatsoever and where flawless they are over half worn in just 116 miles on track. If u want a pad that will last (and your gonna for £200 plus) i would not buy ds3000s. After some reasearch my next step will be buying some rc6e brake pads .these are about £240 odd but are endurance pads so will last more than 5 mins . Hope this helps

3. Hi Nick
    i would go for performance friction Z rated pads and get yourself a set of Brembo plain disc's, i have a set of Endless pads in at the moment but when there gone i will be going back to the Z rated pads.

4. Thanks. I’ve read good things about the PF Z rated pads. But also seen that they aren’t recommended with grooves discs. I assume that’s why you recommended new plain discs? Ideally I didn’t want that expenditure on top, might have to consider it though. I’m not a massive fan of the noise that grooves discs make!

5. I have just ordered a set of Z rated pads delivered for £107, i paid £400 for the endless pads and most other pads are around the £200-250 mark, so that is a reasonable chunk difference towards some plain disc's, when i ordered my disc's, they had plain in stock, told grooved disc's were no made to order.

6. Where do you normally buy your bits from? I’m assuming Opie Oils for the fluid?

7. Not necessarily, i have a good local motor factors that gives me great deals and discounts.
    The pads i have just bought are from https://newalfaparts.co.uk/ the part number is 1001.11, my Endless pads came form Japan, i do a lot of searching for the best deals available so anywhere really.
    It also depends on what sort of things you are after, car parts or consumables :laughing:

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Z rated pads, Start from there and work up if needed but unless your running proper tyres and suspension a more aggressive pad isn't necessarily going to work that great.

9. Cool, thanks. Am I right in saying that Z Rates pads don’t work well with grooves discs?

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I doubt you will notice much of a difference tbf, Plenty running them with. However a set of Plain Brembo discs is only around £130 these days

11. Kamracing sells the PF Z rated

12. Brilliant, shall get them bought. What about braided lines if funds allow. Worth it or not? If yes, just fronts or all round.
    Thanks.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  13. Braided lines are absolutley worth it.havent ever done trackday with stock rubber lines. Braided lines give a far superior feel and help braking feel positive and solid. A must if u ask me

14. What's a ball park price on PF Z rated pads, brembo discs, braided lines and fluid from those who have made the change?

Its something I want to do in the near future.

Would changing the lines void the warranty?

15. Whats the deal with these z rated pads.are they for track specificaly. And do they compare to ds3000s ,wear rate etc ?

16. another vote for PFZ pads.
    Worked great at bedford autodrome which is notoriously hard on brakes.

17. PFZ, I'm very impressed with them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

18. i love my carbotechs..but they are a different league in price compared to pfz.

19. Fast Road/Light Track Day, very similar to DS2500 but a bit better i'd say.

Very kind on discs and they last ages.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  20. I run the z rated on my R26, I've got the 250 disc conversion, I've got to say, the z rated are fantastic with that setup, ar £105 a set, its a no brainer, I use mine mostly on track.

21. Thanks for the advice guys. Just placed an order for the PFZ pads, HEL lines and new Motul fluid. Should make a difference hopefully.
    Nick.

22. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back Nicholas?

23. I got 3 500ml of the brake fluid so perhaps overkill, but all in with delivery tomorrow, £227.

24. About right really, it'll take about 1L to flush the old stuff maybe a bit more if you want to be fully sure it's all new stuff.

25. So, anyone got any suggestions on the preferred bedding in procedure for these pads. Do they come with any in the box?

26. Whatever u do ....when u renew he brake fluid remember to do clutch fluid renewal also !!!

27. if doing fluid change yourself should be aware quite easy to introduce air into clutch line. as they share same reservoir much depends on what system you use to change the fluid

28. Thankfully my partners father is a mechanic so all my labour charges are pretty much zero.
    I’m not mechanically minded so shouldn’t be in a position to mess it up!

29. now thats a great position to be in, well done

30. Find a quite piece of road, brake from 70-80 to 30mph four or five times with 70% brake effort, after each slow down drive for as long as you can to let the disc's and pads to cool down.

31. With any pads like these being carbon metallic it's just to get any of the excess gases out from the material.

10 medium stops from about 90 to 50 with a cooling period in between, i.e. don't do them one after the other or else you'll just get them too hot too quick. Then drive home trying not to use and heavy braking. Park up and let them cool overnight.

I usually do a few more the next day just to be sure.

32. When you get your Hel brake lines, just check them over in the banjo cross holes for burr`s. (Not trying to piss on your excitment of getting new car parts).

33. C95DE67B-D5DD-4F89-8D09-DAF21E84A93F.jpeg Amazing service, from ordering to delivery in 20 hours. Can’t fault that.
    Got my mid pipe delivered too so I can do the centre silencer delete.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  34. Checked the HEL lines, all seem good thankfully.

35. Ah, great. Thanks.

36. Give us some feedback when you've had a chance to try them out. It would be great to know what you think of them as a comparison to the previous set up.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

37. how much you want for the two bottles of fluid you wont use ??

38. Ha, no doubt I’ve bought too much. I read that I might need nearly 1L so thought I’d get a spare just in case it goes tits up!