250 R888 or dz03's?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by jwilliams, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Found 888's for £115 cheapest I can find the dunlops for is £170! Are they really that much better than the 888's?

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yes. The 888 really isn't all that, road carcass and a soft compound.

Direzza's are a proper out and out Track/race tyre.

Im glad i can get mine cheap, Thats mental for one tyre LOL!

3. What about Cup 2's, last time I checked they were about £130ish?

4. mie

mie

take dunlop for track use

5. Got to be honest I wasn't all the impressed with R888s, I went from using road tyres, to AD08s and then R888s and between them the most impressive were the AD08s in reality just for how good they were all round. Though AD08s are/were only semi-track tyres.
    Can't comment on the dunlops sadly, just my disappointment with 888s

6. Fancy getting me a set ;-)

Forgot to mention this is for my track wheels in 17 inch. Thanks for the reply guys, will try see if I can get the dunlops cheaper

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I can only get the 18's cheap at the moment, Its the one thing thats putting me off going 17's as well

8. I'd stay 18s if I were you then haha I don't really want to pay no more than £130 lol

9. Jamie, what condition are the Tyres in mate , pm me if you like

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'll double check them for you tomorrow Steve, IIRC they should have around 2.5-3mm left though

11. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

I loved my R888's at Bedford last Saturday, they are great, but, wear very quickly,

GG medium compound and I've half worn out my fronts on one track day !

I paid £110 a tyre off of an EBay auction, I've never used Dunlops, but would expect an even better tyre based on there price.

But for me R888's are perfect and I'd buy them again.

12. Federal rsr 595 have been great on my M3., hard wearing.

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

RS-R's can't be compared with the others mentioned in this thread tbh.

14. I'm using them at the moment good tyre but I want better lol

15. used both and the dz03g is a much better tyre!!! doesn't go off anywhere near as quick as r888 , dz03g is also tyre of choice on meganes at the ring.

16. Hello, I know where you found the Toyo R888 at 115 pounds?

17. Franky

Franky Banned

I'll have them. how many have you got? How much are they

18. Good shout didn't think about them.

Anybody had any experience with cup 2's? I know they won't be as good as the dunlops but considering gt3's are coming out the factory with them on they can't be all that bad. Would save a bit of money not getting a second set of wheels and tyres to.

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It really depends if you really do want/need a set of track wheels and tyres.

I've been deciding what tyres to run this summer and had came down to Cup2's and AD08R's. No doubting the Cup2's are good but they are still a bit of a compromise for all round road driving in our weather, I have used the Yoko's on mine before and know they work in all conditions, Plus they come with a lot of tread on them which has swayed me to them. Probably don't offer the same outright dry grip as Cup2's but seeing as i live in Scotland and do 20k miles a year i think i can live with the tradeoff of less dry grip for some more wet grip.

20. I ran Cup 2's on my GT-R and they were a huge improvement on MPSS, tyre wall felt stiffer, they wear marginally quicker than MPSS not but.

Compared to an all out track tyre not as good, but in terms of general road use, and even in the wet I thought they were great all be it MPSS are better in the wet the Cup 2's were still usable.

21. V700s are miles better than R888s new or old, mega Tyres I used to run had front medium rear, merge grip but don't last long on the front, rears last for ages though

22. Would you rate them over the cup 2's? I know they come standard with mini GP2's but never knew what they were like.

23. I'll be honest I've never tried the cup 2s but for some reason the 2 or : people I know do not rate them, they maybe better come the summer months but you can also run the 700s all year round

24. I completely forgot about the kumho's tbh I'll have to look into it after work. Cheers

25. Tyres are very personal but I've heard from loads of people that cup 2 over heat quickly so on track are only good for few laps at a time. Dz03g is by far the best track tyre I've used but as Jamie says If you don't have track wheel ls things like dz03g and r888 are too much of a compromise for daily driving so ad08r, 595 rsr etc will all be a better option

26. I think you mean the new R888R when you say the new Toyo R888 and not just a half shagged R888.

Not much feedback around on the new R888R.

27. The v700 are mega on the rear, they wear too quickly on the front.

28. Before everyone thinks the sun shines out of the Dunlops arse, although they are a better dry track tyre than a R888, with a bit of cold and wet about, they aren't so good.

Factor in the cost of the Dunlops and you really need to justify blowing the extra dosh for that bit of lap time on a trackday.

29. NJH

NJH

Cold yes, very poor in the cold IMHO but equally awesome on really hot days. I got 1.63g out of my race car on them summer before last and 1.55g at 55 mph on a 180 degree corner. They are OK in the damp if you can get the heat into them, not enough tread to shift a lot of water. Best thing about them is once switched on they are amazingly consistent over fairly long periods (as in 20 min +), also fairly long lasting if not driven so hard. R888 will be much better on cold days. I don't believe there is much difference in ultimate lap times from any of these tyres TBH. I can remember everyone saying Cups were king and the R888 old hat even 5 or 6 years ago, I went to race on Silverstone Nat with a guy who previously set the fastest ever time in PCGB class 2 in his car there on the Cups, went out in exact same spec car on R888 and beat that time by about a tenth.

30. NJH

NJH

And yet I know of two guys who race on Cup 2s in 40 min mini enduro events, one in a Porsche 928 the other a Porsche 993 RSR both swear by them as the best tyres they have used.

Pyper likes this.
  31. The Cup 2 is a great tyre.

Their big advantage is you can run them on the road 24/7 if you know their limitations, drive to a track and then bang out some really decent dry lap times, not be embarrassed if it's a bit wet and then just drive home.

No need to faf about with a boot load of wheels, tools and jacks.

32. I used / trialed a set of Toyo R888R's at the weekend at Silverstone and anyone there will know it was freezing! couldn't get heat into them at all they never did bite so can't really review.

33. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You really can't compare the NS-2R to a DZ03 or a 888-R.....

Totally different class of performance

34. Haha yeah a guy I was playing with at Bedford couple weeks ago was running ns2r said they were shite lol

35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They are not that bad but they are no where near a proper R compound tyre.

Their new AR1 tyre if the claims are to believed are a totally different story mind you, Talks of them being quicker than a Direzza

36. wonder what their like as an all rounder

37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The NS-2R or the AR1?

The former is like an RSR so not too bad, The latter has barely any tread cut in them, Not something i would fancy using on the road

38. AR1

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

39. £120 a corner for pre order, demon tweeks