R26r Carbon Fibre Bonnet Issue

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Rob R26r, Jan 30, 2014.

1. It's not repairable as it's actually in the weave.

I'm going to get one from Cazan Racing in the New Year, once the wife's 40th has been and gone. Inconsiderate bitch :wink:

2. Are they genuine from cazan rob , how much

3. How much of you would be interested in buying a non deteriorating bonnet.

4. And the problem of clouding is from using cheap carbon fiber that is full of moisture. Also there is no gel coat like few of you quoted, gel coat comes only in color, no clear coat gel coat, it is simply a thick coat of resin.

Uv damage can bee seen as yellow tint in the resin, not clouding, and the point that it mostly apear when hot from the engine (IR) and not only on sun exposure (UV)
    If you wish I could do a repair on top of the current CF hood but depends on how much would be interested as i wouldn't ask much, more like cowering my cost + shipping to croatia and back

5. baz88

baz88 Banned

no one by the looks of it

6. Yes :smile: ill make one for mz self in autum and show here.

7. baz88

baz88 Banned

good idea

8. Very genuine Steve, we have two options available.

Both feature a pre-preg vacuum bagged and autoclaved top section constructed using 2x2 twirl carbon with a Nomex honeycomb core (as used in F1). The weave pattern is the same as the R26r bonnets although the pattern is smaller in size in weft and warp. (Basically a smaller tighter weave)

Unlike the Renault items these bonnet do not go milky with heat or yellow with UV, we have a customer in South Africa who had a Clio version (same construction) for over 3 years and it still looks like new, his car sits outside in the very intense Johannesburg sun all year round.

This image is from one of our customers in Japan :smile:

[​IMG]

One version has a full carbon fibre spine on the underneath so is completely carbon like the R26r bonnets and retails at £999.99 which is very good value for the quality of materials and production methods used. As you are all aware the Renault version is much more expensive and is made from sub standard materials, cheap polyester resin and from looking at one closely I'd say is wet laid which is a very cheap method of production.

[​IMG]

The other version features a black fiberglass spine underneath, this is purely to keep costs down for those that are after a carbon bonnet for looks rather than weight saving. These retail at £599.99

Both versions are much lighter than the heavy OEM item and both fit exactly as OEM. You simply use the bonnet catch/spring from your original bonnet.
    The difference in weight between the two is negligible and unless you are competing in a pro class time attack car you will not tell the 1,000th of a second difference.
    The full carbon version is really for those who want the full carbon look as they do look incredible when you open the bonnet.

We are able to offer RSMegane members a good discount on those prices so if anyone is interested just PM us for a discount code. All bonnets are made to order and are usually delivered within 10 days from order.

9. i really want the boot you do!

10. would look awesome on your car, it is a track only item as there is no provision for wiper motor or the lock. They are kept in place with pins, the weight saving is massive.

11. Can i still use my 20% off i got but never used like 2years ago :rolleyes:

12. I'm sure we can work something out for you :wink:

13. If correctly made, vacuum bagging a wet lay up will produce far better results than the best prepreg you can find.
    (Please dont start in to an argument as I work on developing and testing of the materials and methods used for composite materials on total o 5 European FP7 founded prohects)

Prepreg is prefered for use as it is much easier for use and faster manufacturing time)

Ps on what parts of the bonnet do you use honeycomb ??