R26 top mount replace or not?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by chappers2000, Apr 18, 2018.

1. I have no performance issues with my standard shocks and springs but I want to change them as they are rusty, so more for cosmetic reasons. Would just replacing these be short sighted on a 70000 mile car without replacing the top mounts or should I wait and spend the extra £120? Can you tell if top mounts are worn?

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

3. Don't bother. They do virtually nothing on our cars as the swivel bearings do the work.

4. Cheers guys. Thanks for the link Matt. That's much cheaper than Renault.

5. i just bought a set of used suspension which was all but new,but built up with the original top mounts from the car which had done 70k.One of the mounts had a split in it.

6. matt e

7. Not yet. I am still undecided whether to take them off and check or just change them - but the main issue is that I still can't decide what springs to get - OEM is probably best as it is a road car and I'm not likely to get on track soon or very often, but the lower stance does look better. Not sure if I can change the shocks myself or will need a garage to do it so only want to get it done once really. The car sailed through it's last MOT and I don't have any issues performance wise - it's just the aesthetics of rusty shocks that are miffing me off. Might just need to take it all apart then I can paint the lower arms and get the garage to push in some new bushes. It just soon adds up -£400+ for OEM springs, £106 for top mounts; £100+ for bushes/ball joints/labour on top of all the stuff I already have.

8. matt e

my dampers are quite rusty and i think there the ones from new, so there 11 years old now! ive just bought new dampers from renault parts direct for £153 delivered, there on offer at the moment. and ive also bought H&R lowering springs for £150 delivered from Germany

i think the top mounts can be had for about £80 the pair, either SNR or SKF

9. Just ordered some replacement dampers. £158 delivered is crazy cheap!

Si271 and matt e like this.
  10. matt e

Use PFCFREE for free postage [emoji6]