R26.r

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Goon returns, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Goon returns

Goon returns Guest

If you were in the market for a r26.r would you want a standard example or one with uprated tuning? exhaust brakes stage 2 etc

I'm looking into buying one myself and just want people's opinions on what they would prefer and why.

Also what's the best colour to buy? There seems to be a few black ones for sale at the minute.

2. Dan

Dan

I hear Black ones were the fastest!! :wink:

Its down to the car at the end of the day.. I wanted a standard one, and I have known the one I brought from when it was delivered to a friend of mine NEW.

But who is to say that ones saying standard have not had the mods removed?

3. In my opinion...

An original car (or at least one that can be reverted to original spec easily) is likely to be a better "investment", if that's important to you. I wouldn't necessarily be tempted to pay through the nose for an immaculate, super-low mileage example though. My personal preference has always been to go for cars that have turned their wheels regularly, been well looked after and had any "teething" troubles resolved already!

On the other hand, if you're buying a car for the pleasure and enjoyment of driving it, then I don't think there's any harm in looking at cars that have been modified, so long as:

a) the car has been very well looked after, with regular maintenance (good-quality fluids etc.),
    b) Any upgraded parts/re-maps are of proven quality and have been installed by someone who know's what they're doing,
    c) If you're looking at a car with significant increases in power/torque (in the region of 300bhp/300ft lbs) then personally I'd be looking for an uprated clutch, possibly a good quality engine build with forged rods/pistons etc. to handle the bigger numbers.

By all accounts, there are some great modified Rs out there with well proven performance and reliability, so you'd be daft to rule them out. The Mk2 Megane has been around long enough that there's a pretty clear consensus on modifications - what works, what doesn't etc. Certainly go and look at the cars, talk to the owners, check the history, drive the cars and make a decision based on that. You'll be able to tell if the car has been cherished, the quality of the modifications, and whether the end result is a more enjoyable drive than the standard car.

Oh, and Lunar Grey is the best colour :wink:

4. Nah.Pearl White is better. It's rarer :wink:

For me, when I was looking, it had to be as close to standard as possible and have the Ti. It was nice to get one with low mileage though, although as long as it's been properly maintained, a slightly high mileage wouldn't have put me off. I'd rather buy one that's been driven than one that's been five knuckle shuffled over, sat in a garage. At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference I suppose.

5. He is right, even though I am getting a little bored of the "primer" jokes.

I originally wanted a std low mileage version, but when I started looking I found many of the nice ones had at least a brake change or stage 1 map.

In the end I compromised, I found a car I wanted (colour wise anyway) with slightly higher mileage than I wanted, but few of those were track miles. It had a map and intercooler change, and was at the right price. So do I miss out or jump at it. So I jumped at it. I am glad I did.

6. the mods just make a great car a bit better, brake pads are a must, as is the IC if you use it on track, i've had a sports cat put on mine purely for the noise. there can't be many .R out there that haven't seen a mod or a track and most seem to be kept in tip top condition, i wish mine had all the bits on when i bought it, would have saved me a fortune.

7. Oh, forgot to say that Glacier white is the ultimate colour, eh Steve : )

8. Goon returns

Goon returns Guest

Mixed response then but sound advice cheers.

So the right modifications are necessary and don't add value to the car but standard examples appeal to a lot of people to.

9. If I was buying an R26r it would have to be in lunar grey :smile:

Good luck with your purchase!

10. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

Go for Nimbus rarest colour for the r :smile:

I think brake upgrades are perfect I mean the standard ones aren't great and expensive to replace for renault items so makes sense to upgrade them.

Not to sure I would choose one with a remap in honest but as already stated regular fluid changes etc is a definate plus.

11. Goon returns

Goon returns Guest

Would actually love a nimbus one but when will there be one for sale? I think there is only 5 in that colour.

12. Dan

Dan

Being so few around..

Buy the best one you can find.

13. Liquidf1

Liquidf1 Forum Trader

Yeah 5 and afew in the colour I wouldn't buy, only 1 full spec too I think.

14. It would have to be standard with the titanium exhaust and cage (could live with a brake upgrade).

Colour wise I'm torn between Lunar and Racing Blue…Love my Racing Blue 197, pictures don't do the colour justice at all.

15. Goon returns

Goon returns Guest

Pm me which ones you mean mate

16. Goon returns

Goon returns Guest

I don't like racing blue it's a bit to in your face for me I like the greys and whites I think.

I think I'm going to hold out till a standard one in the right colour comes along. I want cage obviously but not bothered about ti exhaust the sound it's not to my taste.

17. Trouble is, you won't know if its ever had the uprated bits on it, best to just go on condition etc, most seem to be very well looked after. I've got a good few mods on mine and every one has made it a bit better, especially the sports cat, it sounds brilliant with the ti exhaust : )