R26 or 250

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Luke N, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hi just a quick one, I'm really wanting to change from a 225 5 door to either a R26 or a 250, pro and cons for both if anyone can help

2. Cons of a 250 are probably similar to a Mk2, i.e. front hub assembly. Other than that, my 250 has been pretty reliable ,consideriing the amount of parts that have been taken off , & messed about with. Can't comment on a Mk 2 as I've never been in one. I haven't had the amount of shit some people have had with a Mk 3, no doubt something will crop up at some point. P.s. the stereo in a Mk 3 is pure shite. Fact.

3. R26 is a far more basic car than a 250.
    you think the stereo is crap in a 250..wait to you see the R26s!
    It not about creature comforts though in a R26
    Built to go round corners,,and the reason i still have mine.

Both cars epic..250 just in a more refined package.

4. I would go 250 ,mostly because it's newer and looks more modern inside and out

5. Both great, 250 with cup better.

Depends on budget, if you can afford to stretch to a 250 (with Cup) do so, but if you can’t the R26 will be a vast improvement on the 225.

Either way a good move.

6. I've had a 225 and i currently own an R26. The diff on the R26 makes it a different car altogether.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

7. Ive been considering going from an R26 to a 250 - but it would have to be a cup with Recaros & RS Monitor.

But to me,the 250 doesnt seem that 'sporty' looking - i see a normal MK3 Megane and sometimes cant tell if its an RS or not. Not the case when you look at a MK2 Megane and then a R26.

A question to people who have driven both - is the R26 a lot more 'raw' and more of a drivers car? I feel if i went to a 250 yes it would feel more refined and more luxurious but would feel a bit more 'tame'?

grantw likes this.
  8. I'm considering the same and also have the same question.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

9. I 100% agree with you, I often look at the 250 depending on the colour and have to double check to see if it is an RS, absolutely not the case with the mk2, I also agree with the rawness of the mk2 but saying that I haven't actually been out in a mk3 yet

Attached Files:

10. Mk2 owners are really using looks as a pro?????????
    Out of interest what are the parts that differentiate the mk2 RS from the standard car?
    I had a 225 back in the day and didn’t think there was much other than front and rear bumpers and lip spoiler.

I always thought that the mk3 coupe was a vastly superior starting platform looks wise than the mk2, but despite that, agree that the mk3 isn’t exactly a good looking car. It’s not offensive, just par for the course and somewhat spoiled by the stick on trim.
    The mk2 however is a very acquired taste.

However, looks are not what makes these cars.

Jonny157 likes this.
  11. Yeah i kind of like the yellow 250 with the black wheels,looks different enough. But still not sure on the back end at all,reminds me too much of a Vauxhall. I think id regret getting rid of my R26 if i did. Old-skool rawness ftw!

12. Huh? Have you seen a bog standard MK2 Megane - much higher and has different bumpers etc. Looks like something a middle aged librarian would drive.

Btw,im talking about an R26 here with the decals - i have seen a lux 225 before and i agree i wasnt sure if it was a RS or not.

I agree the R26 isnt the best looking car,still really not keen on the back end - BUT from side-on i think it looks great - its weird that certain angles work for it.

Imo a Clio 200 is a much better looking car.

13. Ah so it’s the decals!!!!!!!!..........

I agree on the Clio, however actually prefer the 197 as the front end looks less fussy than a 200.

Clio V6 for the looks win though.

14. I have just bought a Megane RS 250 and a lot of this was based on the way it looks! Coupled with 321bhp it is so far spot on! It does not stand out too much, but generally people that know cars notice what it is.

I would definately drive both cars and different variations. The 250 looks and feels more modern imo. I have been looking for around nine months for the right spec one to pop up!

The Recaros in the Mk3 are a work of art too!!

imprezaworks likes this.
  15. I think the both have plus points it just all depends on what puts a smile on your face when you drive it.

Everyone looks for something different from a car, for example I love the idea of having the new quality feel and the power gains that are achievable from the mk3 but from what I've heard you just can't fit much in the back, this alone means that after a lot of consideration it wouldn't be suitable for me as we are a family of 4, I currently have a 5 door 225 and love it but I can't help but think how much happier I would be with no r26 assuming the room in the back will be sufficient.

I don't understand why people see the mk2 as ugly, I love the back of them especially, I suppose as mentioned above each to there own, either way I just enjoy the whole driving experience

16. I would not really recommend a mk3 as a family car, if you are tall like me, then the Meg is more of a 2+2 seater, boot is pretty big though I think, but being 3 doors, I think it would be awkward

17. I'm 6'3 so most likely I fall in the same group as yourself

18. haha,well id laugh my head off if i saw a bog standard MK2 Megane with the decals!

I would be interested in a 250/265 but it would have to be the right spec/colour,as a lot of people have said. A waiting game i think..

19. That one with a yellow stripe had either been for sale for a long time, or its back for sale after a short ownership

20. I'm not sure if nay one has seen the Lee Lockwood YouTube channel but I remember Lee going to that Motor Hub place and they sounded dodgy as fk

Canky and Big Uno like this.
  21. Yeah i watched that one. I do like the cup in Silver or White with black wheels though.

The 250s with the silver spoked wheels really dont very sporty to me. Like this one : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802203886616