R26 - not starting - any ideas appreciated!

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by essIII, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Current situation: car cranks fine, but never fires into life. Have replaced the TDC\Crank sensor as that seemed a common failure point. Sounds like there's no fuel pump fuse\relay to check - anyone know the easiest way to check that the fuel pump is receiving some voltage? After trying to crank it says "Steering Not Locked" and the steering lock is not engaged - don't know if this is a red herring or the actual issue.

Bit of background: I've been running a fibreglass boot on track days - no high level brake light or number plate lights fitted. I swapped it back to the OEM boot for MOT and reconnected the wires to get brake light and number plate lights working. I was seeing some weird behaviour where the rear wiper seemed to be triggering the boot latch to unlock. As these aren't required for MOT I disconnected both. Today I wanted to switch back to the fibreglass boot - the car fired up fine when I initially moved it. Engine off, connected up the electrics for the boot latch, and now it won't fire. I've subsequently disconnected all the boot electrics and it's still not firing.

It would seem like too much of a coincidence that my dicking around with cables hasn't caused this issue - just at a bit of a loss as to what to be checking - any advice much appreciated!

2. Got to be something to do with the boot lock as they don't start with the boots open.

As to what it specifically is I can't say I'm afraid..

3. Hi James - really interesting that you say that - I probably did a good 1000 miles with the fibreglass boot fitted; no latch, just aerocatches - are you certain that they won't start with the boot open? I'll go and investigate! Thanks!

4. My phase one definitely doesn't start with the boot open.

Can't imagine it'd be different on the phase two's but it is renault so anythings possible

5. Update - this morning I tried a dubious immobiliser reset procedure I found on the old forum - Disconnect positive lead from battery, put card in slot, touch positive lead to negative side of battery to decharge circuits, remove card from slot, reconnect battery. Bugger me, she started. I was well chuffed. Let her run a couple of minutes then switched off. 2nd time she started again and almost immediately stalled. Now I'm back in the situation where she cranks but doesn't fire into life.

Probably gonna try the AA home start service.

6. Just in case anyone stumbles across this in the future and finds it useful, the issue was found to be a burned out earth connection on the fuel pump - removed the grommet from the floor behind the drivers seat, removed plug from pump, put it back in, wiggled it around, and now she starts.

Probably time for a new fuel pump.

Genty, matt e and Jamesycc like this.