PS3 lasted me 8k miles!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by moono16v, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Morning all. I bought two brand new michelin PS3 from camskill last December. I am now on the wear markers already having only done 8,000 miles! And it's never been on track and doesn't get screwed all the time! Yes I'm not going to lie it gets a little blast every now and then just like we all do!!

I have always driven my cars the same and always always used michelins! I have been using PS3's since they came out! I have generally got around 20k out of my tyres before changing them.

My question is, can you get a bad batch? As in ultra soft?

Elliott.

2. Gosh I dunno. Surely you must be putting the pressure on them during cornering to wear them out that quick?

3. I certainly do give it some when I go out on a blast on a good B road run! But I've always driven all my cars the same and they have never lasted so little time!!

4. Pretty normal I'd say, when I bought mine new I did 5k and rotated the PS2 front to back then needed a new pair on the front before 10k so I reckon if I didn't rotate them I'd of been lucky to get 8k out of a pair

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Sounds about right, The Megane is heavy on front tyres. Ive done a set of PSS in a fair bit less than that.

6. I found my Michelin PSS lasting around that length too. Have they worn (relatively) evenly from in the inner to the outer edges?

7. Yeah seems normal to me, I get about the same out of mine, maybe 8-10k max and I don't do any track time or thrash it everywhere.

8. 8-10k of joyful driving sounds right.

9. Think I'm wasting my Meg haha. I bought it with PSS on the front, I've done 11.5k on them too and they're just about ready to change with 3mm left on.

10. My Potenzas have lasted 8k which I sort of expected. My 3 MPS went through a set of Dunlops in 5k once. Wasn't happy.

Just the beauty of powerful front wheel drive cars

11. I had PS3 on mine and they got at least 16K out of them, and that was using them every day!

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Do you drive at 40 everywhere?

13. Yes they have worn equally all over! Ahh well must be normal then maybe I have driven it a little harder than normal!!

Anyone know the best place for a pair? PS3 again or PS2? I still have 1/4 life left on the rear which are PS3.

Camskill have both 2/3 at £107 delivered at 235.

14. My PS2's on the 275 will just about see 9k miles, and same as you, no track days but driven fairly hard when safe, so I'd say your's are about right.

15. I guess the Smeg is quite heavy and if you are gunning it around corners it will eat tyres. Remember it has a diff too which will probably assist in premature wear. Still, I wouldn't change it for the world lol!

16. From what I've read the PS2 is the better tyre.

17. In this wet weather we're having lately I'm getting a lot of wheelspin on my PS2's. Will go for PSS next I think....In 8k lol!

18. Problem is you don't get them in 235 and I personally wouldn't fit a 225.

19. What you can't get pss in 235? I have 18's same as you I think?

20. Nope they only come in 225 or 245. Yea I have the exact same wheels as you.

21. Ah I see. And OEM is 235 x 40 x 18 I guess? 245 may be ok I don't mind a bit of tyre bulk. What do you reckon? Are yours ps2's as well?

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

245 PSS' feel Wank. Horrible steering feel and soft sidewalls. Aye they grip well but that's about it. I'll be going back to PS2s after my winter tyres come off.

23. The PS3 should last longer than the Ps2 or Supersport but honestly your car will feel miles better on Supersports. Much much better performance tyre.
    PS3 is really for big luxury cars where refinement and mpg is more important.Its not a direct replacement for the PS2. Michelin split the strategy with their newer tyres

24. You're kidding. Supersport in the right size (so 235 on a 19") is a better tyre than the PS2 any day of the week.

25. Ye I think Jamie means PSS are the better tyre however for us on 18's they are shite at 245. If they did 235 then I would jump at them 100% but like mike265 and many others I want to stay exactly what Renault recommend. Mainly as I have an inclin that Renault just may have tried every tyre and every size ha!!

I think Jamie has tried about every shoe on!!!

I'll go PS2 this time. I'll be running two brand new 2's up front and worn 3's on the rear until they go and I'll get 2's for the rear. Cheers lads!

26. I've actually strayed from Michelin, I've got a set of Pirelli Pzero to go on after winter.

Yes the Michelin are good but they're not great, I always find myself wanting more? Few lads running the Pirelli on the Megane and since all the 'big' boys use them thought I'd give them a bash. Rated exactly the same as the PS2 and won numerous tyre tests.

27. I wouldn't mind trying those Pirelli's either. What's the special one they do, avento or something?

Re: michelins, can you get cup 2's in the right profile for 18's, or only the 19's? Ideally I'd like some of the RS 19'' wheels and cup 2 tyres for the summer, and probably just keep the PS2's for winter. Shame they don't make the PSS in the right profile for 18's

28. Pirelli Tropheo. You get the cup 2 in the correct size for the 18"

29. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Read what I posted properly.

No doubting the PSS had better grip but in terms of steering feel and sidewall stiffness, which are important for me, they just ain't as good.

Hopefully the PSS2 inproves them.

30. Ah sweet so could always go for cup 2's then. Some say they're awful in the wet but others say they are fine you just have to be careful. I've driven on semi slicks and summer tyres in all weathers before so i think I'd be ok with them. I had Nankang ns2r's on the Clio and they could catch you out in the wet once they were well worn. New they were perfectly adequate though, even good! Sounds sad but I like my tyres to look good and fit the alloys well too. Got a weird thing about tyres lol!

31. I'm having a massive tyre dilemma currently. Terrible time of year to be buying performance tyres but my car needs them soon. I'm doing a couple of track days from March onwards and am having trouble deciding what to do tyre wise. Anyone fancy offering me some advice ??

32. Just buy something that's good all round, specially if it's mainly for doing road miles. Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone etc. Unless you can afford to buy 2 sets then buy something for the road and something for track.

33. Just add PS3 fitted in march this year, done 25000 miles with them, not as good as PS2 though even in the dry.

Will not have them again,

34. Jesus! Have you ever give it some in 1st or 2nd? Or even 3rd!

35. To be honest I was just thinking of going for some Nankang NS-2R in the medium compound as I don't do that much mileage to be honest. What's people reviews on these ?

36. I had them last. I think they're a great tyre. Couldn't fault them at all on road or track. Little skittery in the wet but all that type of tyres are. As long as you drive normally in the rain it's fine. 97df57808c75ad59304a13ea007d000d.jpg

37. Cool. I've been pretty set on buying these for a while but I'm a bargain hunter and constantly find myself looking for the cheapest place. I also don't want 225 width which seems to be everywhere. 235 as comes on the car is what I'm going for. Looking online it seems the prices have gone up for these !

38. Think I was £400 all in for a set in 235 but that was in January. It's like everything else, price goes up with popularity.

39. Yeah I was just looking on Camskill and found them for 94 per tyre which is pretty good but that's without fitting... Shame there's not a Black Friday deal on ! Haha

40. There's always a tyre fitting willing to do it for cash