Possible head gasket going?.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by pervertedmonk, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Hi guys.

Love some help or advise.

My car from cold seems to start up running on 3 cylinders. Then after a couple of slight revs runs ok. But I do get a strong smell of petrol from the start up.
    After a quick drive this morning I left it for a hour to check the oil and water.
    The filler cap is clean and I don't think I can see any water mixed on the dip stick. But the header tank was low. I did top this up the other week. But as I slowly released the cap. I could hear the pressure releasing and the water level raised again to the max Mark.
    Should I be looking at something here ?.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2. It doesn’t sound like head gasket problem to me. I’d check/replace the coils & plugs first to eliminate them. If one cylinder isn’t firing initially, the smell of fuel would be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pervertedmonk likes this.
  3. Thank you. Plugs haven't been replaced for quite a while (2012) or coils so will start there...

4. 6 year old plugs?? My 265 doesn’t like plugs after 5k miles!! Make sure you get oem plugs.

5. The car only does 2k a year. Gets yearly oil changes. But I probley have left it too long. Deffo getting oem plugs though. £30 from Reno direct parts.
    It's the coils I'm hesitant in using. ive had these new ones in the shed from valeo but have had mixed reactions. 30e30b900d845db9b33802464286ee3b.jpg

6. Try the plugs first, I reckon you’ll see a massive difference.

7. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

I use those coils on mine and haven't had any problems

8. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

5k miles?! Why does your car eat plugs? I just changed my original plugs after 35k miles and they still had some life in them.

9. No idea, but it’ll run like a bag of shit after that sort of mileage, change the plugs and it’s sound. A lot of people running these cars have said the same.

10. Gap them down to 0.5/0.6. Found mine ran alot better.

11. Just ordered oem plugs and some feeler gauges. So will change both plugs and coils seeing as their just sitting in the shed. Will report if it runs better. Interested in the gapping as I know I left the last plugs alone.

BigL likes this.
  12. Sorry was talking to those with mk3s, dont know if its the same with mk2s

13. I'll still have a bash. What could go wrong lol.

14. Well changed the coils and plugs today no problem there.
    But the header tank was empty again so filled it up and checked the oil again...not good. Car still starts a bit lumpy but after a couple of seconds revs fine. Now with the new coil and plugs. It only smokes a bit when cold and on choke. Could it be anything looking at the oil. And how much am I looking at for a head gasket job? I'm worried it will cost more than what's the car worth.
    Head gasket?. 068bbb0090112b214bf0ede734e3c454.jpg c8190268e2841a1fd5f093824615aa9d.jpg 33277b19f965d4074bde6a32194949eb.jpg

15. Oil does look a bit dodgy doesn’t it :worried:

16. It's well over filled. I've not long changed it so I know something's wrong. Never rains but fecking pours.

17. Best to do a pressure test on the cooling system, or take the car for a drive, get it up to temperature and leave it to cool right down, don't release the cap on the tank.
    before you restart the engine after its cooled down, remove the coils and plugs, reconnect the coils but leave them out on top of the engine and get someone to push the start button, if coolant comes out of one or more plug holes its either a head gasket or a cracked head problem.

I have removed a cylinder head while the engine is in the car and too be honest its a PITA, best to bite the bullet and pull the engine out, yes i am serious, so much easier to do the work.

18. Bugger. I'm getting it pressure tested this work by an ex Reno tec. On the plus side. If it's engine out I can have the clicking driveshaft replaced lol.