Pilot Super Sports

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by ghosty0101, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Was at kwik fit the other day getting some new valves on my front wheels, and they said I'll need some new tyres soon, which I expected! They're doing Michelin pilot super sports for about £105 each at the moment, I've had a look round and that seems like a decent price! Are these the best tyres to get and is that a decent price?

2. What? They quoted me 168 each including 25% off. I laughed all the way out the door but for 105 I'd be game.

3. Yeah I had the 25% off and it was £213 for the two, not sure if that's inc VAT and I'm sure that's not a fitted price!

4. Go get them at that price, I might order 2 more, i paid £428 from there 4 weeks ago, thought that was cheap

5. Take it these are 18" and not 19"s in the OP?

6. I would say everybody is talking about 18" prices .... whats OP ?

7. So guess you guys are going for 225/40/18 instead of 235/40/18?

I couldn't find the pilot super sports in the 235 size

8. Yeah I've got 225's on the front and 235's on the back for some reason, and the tyre people seemed to think that was the way to go. Apparently bmw do that from the factory anyway!

9. Bmw's are rear wheel drive and sometimes have wider rear wheels.

10. Yeah sounds like someone has stuck 225's on the front to save a few quid.

Bmws come with different sizes due to them being rear wheel drive

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

More to do with staggered wheel sizes, Not the fact its RWD.

12. So do they have staggered wider wheels on the front wheels or the rear driven wheels?

13. Anyway the megane should have the same size tyres all round

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Dan, I know i was just pointing it out :wink:

For the driven wheels

15. Fantastic I need new rears soon , so I will move the front 235 pilot sport 3/s to the rear and then put 225 pilot super sports on the front lol, best of all worlds, hey steve will this work or is it best go 225 super sports all round, my pilots sports though are practically brand new :worried:((

16. That's ok then haha

17. I'd put the new pilot super sports on the back mate, the PS3s will wear out quicker on the front then get 2 more PSS for the front , you'll have 4 matching and the rear will of hardly worn.

18. Someone has tried to save a few quid with my car in the past? I won't have that! It's been treated like royalty!
    And he said most bmw's come like that, they're not all rear wheel drive, although I wish they were and I'd have one! The guy telling me this was a bit of a geezer to be fair and said he did insanely faster speeds than I could dream of, in his 1.2 corsa, so it's all taken with a pinch of salt!

19. So stick with 225 on the front and get 225 for the back in 3/4 months when the backs are gone?

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

New tyres on the front especially when they are a stickier tyre. Plus the fronts wear quicker so they can be replaced by the PSS sooner.

21. They should be but his are. Ew so it's a shame to waste them, you know what I mean

22. I've always been under the impression to have more tread at rear Jamie? What about on track? My ad08 have more tyre burn on the rear than front

23. I'd rather have more front end grip in my megane. I like the rear a bit looser but that's just me.

24. Honestly FFS

25. Yeah. Why?

26. steve 1 - just bought your nankangs off ChrisC. hoping to fit them soon.

27. Cheers guys , as usual 57 different opinions hehehehehehe lol

28. Ok the bit that's confusing me the most with this thread and our megs is that surely 4x 235 pilot 3's are going to give me more grip than 4x 225 pilot 3's. there is more rubber on the road/track for a start ?? or is it that the 225 super sports are just a superior tyre even at 225 (cos you cant get em at 235), please no more then 5 different opinions lol :smiley:

29. Just buy the 225 PSS and have done with it

</end >

:wink:

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Sorry i thats what i meant, Don't know why i put front. Aye best tyres on the rear.

Unsure what your asking about on track and tyre burn though?

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The PSS's are vastly superior in terms of outright grip, Even with the narrower section. TBH they are pretty wide anyway so you may find that a 225 PSS isn't that far off how wide a 235 PS3 is.

32. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

This.

If you put a 225 PSS and 235 PS3 next to each other they are almost identical in section / width.

33. Thanks Jamie just the answer I was looking for, mucho obliged amigo :smile:

34. Again thanks a lot mate, understand now :smile:

35. Rear tyre does more work?

36. Wikipedea disagrees with you with front wheel drive cars :smile:
    Tire rotation is the practice of moving the wheels and tires of an automobile from one position to another, to ensure even tire wear.Even tire wear is desirable to extend the useful life of a set of tires.
    The weight on the front and rear axles differs which causes uneven wear. With the majority of cars having the engine in front, the front tires typically bear more weight than the rear tires. Front-wheel drive vehicles have not only the engine but also the transaxle in front, adding to the weight differential. Moreover, additional stress is placed disproportionately on the front tires by braking. Thus, tire rotation needs to occur more frequently for front-wheel drive vehicles.

37. Well yes you would assume the above, anyone else like to comment?

38. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Rear tyres on a front driver do nothing more than keep the rear end off the ground.