Out with the old in with the just as old

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Gr00vy, Aug 4, 2017.

1. New to the forum, coming over from cliosport.

Sold my clio 172 some time ago and just got a 04 Megene 225.

Can't say I'm enjoying it so far seems I bought a dud xD

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

welcome, what problems have you had?

3. Oh dear. What's up with it?

I know it's not what you want to hear, and some on here have issues with me saying this but - I'd advise anyone against buying a mk2 Megane at this point in place of a Clio, or pretty much anything else tbh. Been there and done that which much newer, sank a load of money into fixing things (not upgrading/modifying) and couldn't see any end in sight. The Clio it replaced was better in almost every way.

Depends how fussy you are I guess to some extent, but if you want them 'right' then they cost a lot IMHO.

Put another way, I can run around in a brand new mk3 for what a 6 year old R26 on 40k was costing me, all things considered.

Welcome across btw :frowning:

eddie ninja likes this.
  4. Thanks guys.

Done a swop for a GSXR 600 K5 that was in mint condition.

The car was supposed to be great all round, below are the issues.

ABS/traction control light on - Apparently they changed the nearside bearing and it's been on since then. Ordered new bearing assuming they broke the abs ring or have it in the wrong way.

Exhaust was making slight a noise - Got told it was just a loose heat shield. By the next day it was way past a slight noise. Turns out the front exhaust clamp bolts where stripped so got that fixed

So after getting the exhaust fixed I could hear all the other noises :worried:

Engine light came on and car was struggling to idle, code was P0313 - checked Ignition coils and spark plugs, the coils where finished and plugs not much better. Replaced them all. I have tried resetting the codes but the reader fails every time. Not sure if it is the reader or an issue with the ECU.

Could hear a hissing sound when revving, checked and found the engine breather pipe was torn open, have taped it closed for now and ordered a new part.

Care idles a lot better.

Now onto the only issue I cannot seem to resolve.

During hard acceleration there is a really obvious noise, sounds similar to turbo flutter but don't think it is.

Does not seem to do it when the car is stationary and revving but when driving and you get on the accelerator hard then it starts at about 3500rpm and if you get off the accelerator it continues briefly.

Car seems to pull really well with the fixes so far. It is also supposed to be stock.

Trying to find a mechanic in Aylesbury that could have a quick look but alas no luck.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  5. Welcome. I hope you get to the bottom of the issues. Plenty of expertise on here so they should get you sorted :smile:

6. Sounds like most of the problems you've had are just poor maintenance tbh.

What sort of noise do you mean by turbo flutter not compressor stall? As that shouldn't really be happening at all during acceleration, a vid with the noise would be helpful.

If its like a wooshing / jet sort of noise if the exhaust is standard it may well just be the normal exhaust noise.
    From memory (its been a while since i had a standard exhaust) mine used to make a woosh/ jet sort of noise at around 3.5k when giving it the beans. Kind of miss it in all honesty!

7. I'll record the sound tomorrow, but it is definitely not a woosh, sounds nothing like my old r26 stock exhaust. It sounds like a very dull turbo flutter slowed down.

8. I know this is of no help but I 100% agree with xanda73 on this and would go into a Clio 200 / 197 over a mk2 meg any day

9. Hi. I'm a newbie too. Sold my Zx6r to fund buying a meg R26.
    Having loads of probs (needs a new engine) but when it was drivable it was phenomenal and great on the one time I've been on track.
    Never driven a 225 so can't compare.
    I'm sticking with mine as i'm a bit too deep to stop now.
    Not sure if I'm helping or not lol.

10. haha, my aim right now is to just get the car running reliably. So far not had to spend much and able to do most of the work myself. Wanted to get a recording of the sound but they are working on some powerlines outside and blocked my driveway :worried:

11. Moved to the technical section.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  12. So got the car to a mechanic.

Rear brakes shot
    Front abs sensor and wheel speed sensor held on with cable ties
    Exhaust shot
    Engine breather hose cracked
    Wheel bearing in the wrong way.
    Front left tyre torn inner wall, can't see from outside, close to bursting
    Drivers side driveshaft shot
    Gearbox mounts need replacing

Car should not have passed mot but somehow did, garage is saying the owner must have swapped parts around. Getting a report from the garage, going to submit a vt 17.

Thinking I am going to end up in small claims over this :worried:

13. Shit. I am sharing your pain brother believe me.

14. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

how much was the bike worth?

15. I got offered £2300 px from a dealer, could have gotten £2500 upwards easily, bike was mint.

Ive settled with him, he's agreed to pay £500 towards the repairs, refusing to return the bike, i just dont have the will power to fight this right now.

Going to get the final bill from the garage tomorrow.

16. So easily? He knew the car was bent.