Oil Change - RN0710 (MK3 RS)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by InsomniacRS, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Hi all,

I had an oil change done at a dealer and they've put 0w30 Castrol Edge oil in it (MK3 RS). It meets the RN0710 specification, but I know that it's the wrong weight i.e. it should be 5w40.

Is it likely to cause any problems?

zREuCig.png

Cheers

2. Na, especially as it’s winter, engine will love cold starts with thinner oil, might want change when milder though

InsomniacRS likes this.
  3. Thanks for such a swift response. Out of interest then, why wouldn't Renault recommend using a thinner oil in the winter and a thicker oil in the summer? Obviously for those who only change it once a year, then the 5w40 will be the best for year round use. However, if I knew that to be the case, then I'd rather change it twice a year and use the thinner stuff in the winter. Thanks again.

4. Only benefits cold start, both are same viscosity at running temp.

The 0-30 is great for high reving bike engines from cold the 5- 40 better for car engine all year round and 10- 50 if you’re regular track warrior

InsomniacRS likes this.
  5. Cheers for the information. Tbh it was more the 30 that I was concerned about, knowing that it should be 40. Had a bit of a look elsewhere online earlier - it was suggesting that it could lead to considerable additional wear when warm (as a result of metal on metal contact), due to it not lubricating the engine enough. I'd potentially understand if it was being smashed off the limiter on a track, but not from a spirited drive on a b road.

6. Exactly, especially as oil is new and in its highest share value and offering good protection , like say change when gets milder

InsomniacRS likes this.