275 Ohlins suspenders. Needed or not for track?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by eddie ninja, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Am looking to buy a 275 - either a Trophy or Cup-S. Has anyone driven either on track with the Ohlins? Could you feel the difference compared to the standard cup/trophy suspension?

I’m not looking to shave 10ths of my lap-times - just does it feel better?

Cheers

2. Yes, I have a Trophy-R. The big thing is the Ohlins are adjustable for both height and damping, so you can tune for the particular track (or on road). This enables you to dial in the type of suspension response you want — neutral, oversteer or understeer. Some people do this, many don’t

DOOOOK likes this.
  3. Standard trophy set up is good enough for track fun. There is a noticable difference with the Ohlins. I've been pax in one and from the passenger side it was a noticable improvement. I've recently got the BC set up and from the standard cup set up to that it is a huge difference.

Depends what you want.

4. If you're not looking for 10ths then go with the cheaper option. However, if you want more consistency in track times and want some assistance in looking better than you really are (like me), then go with with a model that has Ohlins.

5. I've had a 265 Cup and now a 275 Trophy with Ohlins, no track time so my observations may be of little help to you but I will chime in anyway.

The 265 was on 18's and the 275 on 19's for reference.

The ohlins damping feels much more composed when you are at speed, the 265 would crash and move around a bit on badly surfaced B roads, the ohlins absorbs it and settles much faster. It feels like it takes the sharp edges off of every bump and inspires more confidence, in fact that is probably where half the speed increase comes from, confidence in the damping.

The fact that it is adjustable means you can wind it off a few clicks for back road blasting or ramp it up for track. Front is also adjustable by 8mm in height I think. I have a sheet somewhere with Laurent Hurgon's suggested clicks and tyre pressures etc for differing surfaces and weather conditions. Found it.