Obd Bluetooth scanners

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Ryan herbert, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Apologies if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed before, just wondering what obd tools people use, there seem to be so many ranging from suspiciously cheap to quite pricey, is there any massive difference? Also for something so cheap are they safe? Can they do any damage to the ECU? Thanks

2. I use a cheap Bluetooth scanner and the Torque app. Works ok but wouldn't mind something that could tell you ABS fault codes as this hasn't picked those up. It only reads so won't damage the ECU.

3. I use a cheap eBay wifi dongle and dash command for iPhone. Works quite well for me. Only negative I can mention is that the dongle gets really hot when plugged in - not sure if that's normal? I've only used it for short stints so it hasn't worried me too much.

4. Ok, brilliant, I'll get one ordered thanks!

5. I've got this type.....

[​IMG]

Because the Bluetooth type didn't work with my iPhone.

This type doesn't fit behind the flap on my r26 though, which is a shame.

6. I could not get the Wi fi ones to work, only had luck with a Bluetooth.

7. Strange, what phone are you using?

8. i phone 5.

9. Oh, ok.

I know that apple devices are fussy with Bluetooth pairing, unless you 'jailbreak' them.

Maybe you have a different type of dongle because Bluetooth would not have it for me. I then found that wifi seemed to be the recommended option for iphone users.
    This is about a year ago now, on an iPhone 6s.

The wifi dongle I use was cheap enough and works well, I just wish it'd fit behind the flap on my r26 now ha ha.

10. I tried, but being novice, the manipulation is rather difficult. We will get there !