New whip - 275R

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Lewis, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Having owned the regular Trophy for three years and absolutely loving it, I have recently ‘upgraded’ an R version. I’ve driven a few other ‘hot’ hatches since getting the Trophy, and none of them were a patch on it as an overall package, so the R seemed a logical option. The problem was finding one! Anyway I recently tracked down a lovely example and snapped it up as soon as I could. Even then it was touch and go as to whether I’d get it as there was a queue of customers interested in the car. Anyway it worked out well and I managed to buy it, really pleased with it so far. It’s bonkers. The normal Trophy is fantastic but this thing is next level. The weigh reduction and bigger wheels and cup 2’s along with the brakes and composite springs on the ohlins make for a phenomenally grippy machine. It goes like stink too, and it has an immediacy to it which I attribute to the weight reduction. Very much reminds me of my old stripped out Saxo beast from years ago, back when it all started! Plans are to keep it standard really, it’s epic already and I don’t want to interfere with it, as a result my CAE will be for sale so keep an eye on the for sale threads.

Here’s a recent snap from thruxton. I’ve yet to take it on track but will do so in the future.

Attached Files:

2. looks awesome :smile:

3. The R is awesome, isn’t it...but it’s a weekender, a toy, my trickster...you need a daily, too.

4. Is that the same CAE I asked about 3 weeks ago and said you were selling it too someone else, now it's back up for sale lol

5. Looks lovely that. You won't lose a penny either. I would be tempted to have the wheels done in red, but it looks awesome regardless.

timbo likes this.
  6. AMAZING! What a car.

7. Agree with that totally!
    Be tempted to get it mapped though for that little bit extra, without affecting its value or saleability in the future.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nice one, Shouldn't loose any money on it like your previous one either!

Another for red wheels though.

9. Thanks boys. It’s reasonably refined but possibly still a tad extreme for a daily so may look into buying another’s cheap whip to get to work in etc. We shall see. I don’t want want to put loads of miles on it that’s for sure.

A few other lads have mentioned the red wheels too. I really like them black actually, but it might be something I look into eventually. I’m broke after buying it haha, so spending more money on it is the last thing I want to do!

One job I did do is lower the seat down a notch on the side mounts. It actually sits quite high and probably higher the Recaros in my previous Trophy. Not sure why Renault didn’t engineer it so the mount was lower but never mind. I’m quite tall but it’s an improvement now and was quite easy to do. Will do the same on the passenger side at some point also.

Attached Files:

10. I also removed the harness from the drivers side for now until I get a daily as it creases up my work shirts ha!

I fitted some washers to the bolts going into the side mounts too. My Rallye had washers on the Recaro side mounts so I thought it wise to do the same with these.

11. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Did you get this from Divine Automotive?

12. Yes I did actually, why do you ask?

13. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Saw that Tom was selling one and there’s never many for sale and thought it all tied up.

Just being nosey really, which means my mate has just bought your old one.

14. Ah I see, that’s good that my old one will be going to a good home anyway, she was a great machine!

15. Another little job last night, whilst the steering wheel was pretty clean overall it needed a little going over to get it looking brand new again. I’ve done this same process on my last Trophy suede wheel as they do get ‘flat’ and grubby with use. Basically give it a thorough wash with detergent then squeeze it dry with a drying towel following a thorough rinse in cold water.

Here are the pics;

7BF3A357-79DE-4A80-A611-A60F3DE83DF7.jpeg
    0DE107DD-51CF-4B03-8176-E804FA1E42EB.jpeg 46BF6A28-83FF-4759-B439-2302AD8D52C3.jpeg AE5F9896-91EE-477A-BB75-50C3C8588C36.jpeg FE5D016A-3E77-4331-876A-333953EEF68C.jpeg 4DAB90B3-43B5-4CAC-9519-477C76D5EC77.jpeg