New RenaultSport Megane

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Semtax, Dec 14, 2016.

1. I am and that's precisely why I am very careful about anything remotely innovative on a Renault although as UL said, if it's Nissan developed it's probably OK.

NJH likes this.
  2. NJH

NJH

I believe in particular a hugely successful line of V6 race car engines in recent years, took me a while to remember or find the British company involved in the development:
    http://www.gibsontech.co.uk/engines

and of course in particular this motor:
    http://www.jdmspecengines.com/nissan-engines/vr-series/vr38dett-engine.html

Interestingly it used the same coating technology talked about for this new engine.

ultralight likes this.
  3. At a track day I got to go in a Clio-IV with the 1.6T with the coating and the F4RT of a Trophy-R back-to-back.

Whilst I'll admit the the F4RT of the Trophy-R had more character and was faster, the MR16DDT gave the biggest wow factor.

Just so quiet in terms of vibration going up the hill. I'd describe it like they've removed the engine and it's just running on the turbocharger - so smooth and effortless.

I blame the marketing girls in RenaultSport for saying "only a small turbo in the MR16DDT" because we don't want to upset with our better models. Sure felt like it could take a massive turbo not the half of one that's currently installed.

It could definitely accept a TD04 just like in the Megane imho.

4. Inside of it looks like proper photos. Not sure on the exterior and those wheels are poo but it's probably a photoshop. I have good hopes as the new clio looks fantastic[emoji1305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. I hope it wont be a 4 door :worried:

MilosB likes this.
  6. Your hopes will be dashed I'm afraid

7. hmmmmm not sure, need to see an ACTUAL car!

Nigelo and Gavin. like this.
  8. I have been saying that if it's 5 door only, I'm out, but looking at those obvious renders, I could be back in.

Auto box really doesn't bother me - I don't understand the arguments. Were manual boxes 'more involving' before they had syncromesh?

nickfrog likes this.
  9. While I might consider an auto (I am open minded like that) I still much prefer a manual if I have a choice and for many reasons, one of which is involvement indeed. The work rate is higher, syncro or not.

10. I'm ready to give an semi-auto box a go, especially since working a dayshift and sitting in the traffic every morning

11. Paddle shifting is faster, but is far less involving

For track, it's not as fun. Something quite satisfying about heel and toe and the such

12. For track I understand, but these are relatively expensive road cars. If you're focus is on track appeal I guess you'll look elsewhere.

Map reading / being lost & asking directions is more involving than sat nav, right?

13. And using a spade is more involving than using a digger, but those examples don't involve activities that are done for enjoyment

You wouldn't find an orienteering enthusiast walking around with a phone and GPS

So you wouldn't find a driving enthusiast wanting a paddle shift

Driving is a skill and driving fast, on track, using various techniques is what makes it fun for me. I wouldn't choose paddles for that kind of driving

Sure, paddles are great for traffic and they are unquestionably faster

If speed is the focus, then choose a paddle. Porsche, however, have done a bit of a U turn by producing the latest GT3 with a manual option so that people that want the option can buy a manual shift

My daily driver is a paddle / auto and it's epic. No more left leg workout

But no way would I have that for track. Yawn fest

14. I had one of those automatic DSG GTIs a few years ago, i enjoyed it for the first month but after that i missed the involvement of a manual. I dont even drive on tracks.

15. I think I'd probably tick the Auto option if there was one (assuming it's not auto only).

The auto on the Clio 220 is very good. The only places where it's really let down is entering roundabouts in normal mode, and finding you need to get out quick - the box gets confused and spends too long going down more gears than needed - sorted by using sport instead, but that's a bit of a pain for normal driving.

I've not done a trackday in it, but when I was out for a drive the other day I did miss having the clutch. The paddles are very satisfying, but there's a disconnect between yourself and the car that's much better filled with a manual clutch. That said, I'd take the option because it makes daily driving much easier.

16. If the paddle is anywhere near what my e92 DCT was they it will be paddles for me. It was an awesome gearbox, let down by a cr@p handling car, so the thought of an involving and rewarding gearbox, linked with driving dynamics to suit will make it a winner.

I understand that everyone has their own preference and take on what a drivers car is, which is cool. If we all liked the same things, then it would mean long queues at the same shops, but stating paddles is not a real drivers car is a bit narrow minded. I dont say that to cause offence, just like those on the opposite side of the fence surely dont mean to impose their thoughts as being right on others.

MilosB likes this.
  17. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

A member from RSM was actually involved first hand with the development of the new meg. Nissan have breathed on it as well...

It's all looking great for it.

Jonny157 and Nigelo like this.
  18. My only worry is this talk of engine downsizing... a 1.8l turbo is never going to be as flexible in power delivery or extra headroom as a 2.0l turbo, it might be alright in a lightweight alpine, but it'll start to make a heavy car feel laggy or torque less at low to mid range.

I hope that Nissan have helped develop a new 2l engine.

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Can't say your first statement is true Nigelo, engine and turbo tech has came on massively. You only need to look at the likes of the 1.6 and soon to be 1.5 ecoboost from Ford to see that. Smaller displacement engines can be massively capable. I've been in a couple 300 ish ecoboost engined things and you really wouldn't know they are just a little 1.6

ultralight likes this.
  20. Depends on how good the engine is i guess - certainly the 270hp 1.6t in the 308gti comes in for a fair amount of critism for its power delivery.
    Another point would be that if the 1.8t in the alpine is much more hi-tec and capable than the outgoing 2.0t, then why is it >20 bhp shy of the current 2.0t power?

Anyways, we'll not know for sure until the car's out and reviewed. I'm interested to see how the car's been developed with the next CTR on the horizon with around 320bhp and 4 door practicality. If its a megane rs285 and it's the handling that's going to bring it into competition then....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  21. I don't think handling will be an issue. The seat Leon is a very capable car even in the estate version. Engine technology has come a long way too so the smaller engines can create better power and lower emissions but reliability becomes an issue. VW/Audi ditched the 1.4tfsi due to reliability issues but it was pumping out 180 ponies and some were hitting the dyno at over 200 out the factory

22. But those engines come out of the factory almost on the very edge of reability..
    The F4Rt engine did 200000 miles no problem..
    I doubt any of the 1.6 250+ engines will do so.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Jdrummo31 likes this.
  23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

And you know this how?

The 1.6 ecoboost is a very strong engine, there's no doubts they will be reliable for high miles.

nickfrog and Jdrummo31 like this.
  24. Let's face it, if it looks better than the new type r then Renault is onto a winner! The new R is just shocking. What do you guys think of it?[emoji848]

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The new one looks fucking hideous. Shame really as I love the FK2

26. I like it in that it's almost the Lamborghini of the hot hatch world as far as styling goes.

I wouldn't buy one for a second though, it's too much for me!

27. At the risk of sounding 'Pistonhead'y, the looks could do with being matched to rwd/awd and about 420bhp.

MilosB likes this.
  28. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There's something being announced tomorrow by Renaultsport, I thought new Megane RS but today's video showing what looks like a V6/V8 seems to halt that thought

29. We're taking about this, yes? I don't think it's all that bad. Yes it's outlandish, but it's supposed to be. I quite like it.

2017-civic-type-r-front-angled.jpg

c6t_-9lwaaezuao.jpg

2017-civic-type-r-rear-angled.jpg

2017-civic-type-r-wheel-detail.jpg

30. What video mate?

31. I think it looks better than the last type r plus with a remap I'm sure it will be 360 to 380bhp.

Prefer the colour in red looks more menacing than the white

MilosB likes this.
  32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The video on the Renaultsport Facebook page, there was one a few days ago as well

33. Just checked that out. A bit cryptic to say the least. Guess we'll find out tomorrow. Won't be the RS as mentioned above.

34. There's nothing on the official twitter account - they usually put cryptic announcements on there.

35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They had their cryptic posts about the Trophy-R and Clio Trophy on both. I'm properly curious as to what it could be, find out in the morning I guess

36. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There's a few posts on their Twitter #enterthezone

37. bah, every time i see this post get bumped i get excited!

Personally i think the new type r is crazy, but a good crazy and you can't fault their reliability.

38. The white R looks better than Matt black that's for sure. Maybe I'll prefer it in the flesh!

39. I like the Civic. I'm not sure I would own one, but I love that they're going a bit mad when most other hot hatches look so restrained. It wears its heart on its sleeve and I applaud that.

As for the Megane, we still don't really know anything. Sadly, I think we have probably peaked now though. I suspect they will try to go more mainstream and will probably lose some of the Renault Sport magic. I actually quite like the idea of them using the 1.8 engine if it means it's more laggy. Most modern turbocharged engines are boring as anything these days, so something with a bit of personality would be a refreshing change. Saying that, as Jamie says, modern tech will mean it will be super-smooth regardless.