New Cup-S owner with a bird problem...

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Chris275, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Hi I recently bought a 2016 275 cup-S in black, 5k miles, standard spec apart from leather recaros. Can't believe the performance for the money, great little cars!

Super forum, had a good look through, loads of useful stuff and a friendly place.

Anyhow, I've had a nightmare today, I got back to the car after a couple of days in the van to find that a bird has pecked away at the door and window rubbers damaging them quite badly in places. It's ripped one wiper to bits, the windscreen rubber at the base of the screen and apart from the rear wiper and tyres all the exterior rubber needs replacing.

After a bit of reading I think it's a crow as they're drawn to shined black cars and rubber bits!

Oh and the car was covered in bird shit so it's not rats or vandalism.

So... where to buy the seals and rubber parts, who would be best to fit them and how to stop it happening again. My first thought was insurance as it is pretty bad or driving into Renault and getting them to sort it but hopefully there's another way. Some I may be able to fit myself of course but I guess it's windows out job?

Strange first post I know! I'm actually pretty gutted, taken the shine off it all in a big way, car is pretty much new.

Cheers.

2. Cleaned the bird shit off but the rubbers look awful...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  3. Wow!

Can't believe this has happened to you with a new car. Best place for rubbers is probably Renault but expect to get your pants pulled down.

Has this happened to any other cars in your area? Whats to stop this happening again when you replace everything?

That rubber is pretty tough and it looks to me like it's been bitten by something with teeth - not a bird.

I feel your you mate - that's bad :sob:

Chris275 likes this.
  4. Thanks, yeah, bit of a surprise! Never heard of bird damage before. Never happened to my van (also black) sometimes parked in the same spot. I'm out in the country and it was parked by the house.

The paintwork has not been touched, not a mark. Just the rubber. My other thought was it was the birds feet doing the damage as it attacked its reflection?

A car cover once the damage is repaired I think!

I think a quote from Renault at least. I'll post it up when I know... really don't want an insurance claim but if it goes to four figures then that's likely.

Cheers

5. Welcome to the forum. That's bordering on unbelievable! I have never heard of anything like that before! I hope you get it sorted soon. Get some pictures of the whole car up too.

Chris275 likes this.
  6. Maybe @Nathan250 has the rubbers from the car he is breaking ?

Chris275 and Nathan250 like this.
  7. Wow, that's just about the strangest thing I've read on the internet this week! I've got no advice or anything useful to offer, but that's pretty shitty luck on a brand new car! Hope you get it sorted without spending a ton!

Chris275 likes this.
  8. If you send me a message with pictures of the parts you need mate I may have some of them. Save you being raped at Renault.

Chris275 likes this.
  9. Thanks guys, I had to go out this morning and check it wasn't a dream...

Had fun explaining it to people trying to get some costs to replace bits. What mate? A bird? Really?

I'm off to Renault tomorrow for them to list the needed parts and give me a price... I'll take something to sit on!

As soon as I've got a list I'll be in touch Nathan250, cheers! Much prefer that idea!

Car is absolutely mint apart from the rubber damage, been over every inch tonight and no other marks on it. Crazy! Can't wait to get it fixed and regain that new car buzz.

A couple of quick questions...

1 Are the rear quarter windows bonded in?

2 Is the wiper motor cover/scuttle and seal under the windscreen easy to remove? as that all needs replacing as it's rubber seal under the screen is pecked enough to not be sealed. If water gets under this short term is that a problem?

Thanks!

10. The windscreen in bonded so I guess the rear quarter ones are.

The scuttle is very easy to remove and you will find a guide on this forum somewhere. The reason for this is the drains get blocked easily and leak water into the car. This answers your last point - it won't be a problem, you'll be in the same boat as most Meganes ever made once they are a few years old sadly :frowning:

Chris275 likes this.
  11. Thanks, that's helpful. I'll try autoglass or similar if I can supply all the seals to change.

I've just read the scuttle block how to guide, that's just about within my mechanical pay grade! Super, cheers!

12. I have just googled this on the RSPB, and yes birds can be attracted or distracted by there reflection and attack/peck the rubber seals next to Windows. They recommend brushing on a special chemical, I would suggest just buying a tarp and covering the Windows. Well we learn something everyday.

Chris275 likes this.