New 250 Cup Owner in Surrey

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Mark_RS, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Evening all,

Not a really active forum member but thought I'd say hello. I almost bought a Mk3 Trophy in 2015 new but went another route at the time. Last weekend I visited KTec and fell for a 2010 250 Cup that I hope to collect this weekend. It's currently having a few mods done before I pick it up with more to follow when I get the time.

Car will be tracked and a daily driver for some fun. Best bit is it's all black (badges and wheels) so it matches my other car :smile:

15wxgcp.jpg

Will get pics up when I get it home and hopefully see some of you on track this year.

BIG E likes this.
  2. Welcome mate :smile:

Heading to snetterton on Saturday if you fancy it?

I haven't booked but will hopefully get on in the afternoon.

Cheers!

3. Thanks for the invite, appreciate that.

I don't collect the car till Saturday morning so any track plans will have to wait till March onwards I think!

4. Welcome Mark. Good choice of track toy that also works on the road. Good going at the Ring. The car works really well there too. Not very far from you in Sussex. A few of us are doing Silverstone GP 20 Feb if your car is ready by then. It only really needs pads/fluid/tyres for track work.

5. Thankyou, I've always liked them and been a fan of RS since my old Clio Cup track car. I only managed an 8.40 BTG in the Merc but I've seen some of the Megane boys knocking over a minute off that.

I won't be able to make a track day until March time unfortunately. I'll be doing Silverstone, Brands, Goodwood, Angelsey, Ring and a few others multiple times. I want to get a Wagner FMIC on the car, some better rubber and a set of Clubsports on there first. I know the stock kit is fantastic but I love to tinker.

nickfrog likes this.
  6. Fair enough ! The beauty of the 250 is that you can tinker without losing the warranty. 7.40s is good going. I only timed myself once in the Meg and ended up 8.35, standard car on hard NS2rs. I wouldn't want to go any faster if I am honest, I was probably at 9/10ths so just enough of a margin for me there !

7. 8.35 is a great time. Anything below 9 minutes is quick in my book, anything below 8 minutes is pushing it! The C63 only managed that time because of the power out of corners and the back section where I was hitting over 160mph. In the corners it's a huge car and makes its weight known even on decent suspension. Tyres make a huge difference don't they? I'd stick R888Rs on the Megane, I run them and also Cup tyres on the Merc and they make that car competitive. You can feel the chassis flex in the corners as the back wants to step out but the rubber says 'no'.

nickfrog likes this.

8. Firstly, welcome and great choice – being impartial I also have a 2011 (same as 2010) black 250 Cup with standard black wheels and also black badges. Secondly, lovely Merc, the 6.2 V8 is just such a lovely engine and sounds like a WW2 fighter-plane at full chat.

Let me know what you think of all the black as I’ve only just put black covers on mine and I’m 50/50 – Some days I think it looks great, some days I think it looks a bit TOO black and possibly boy-racery. I removed the MEGANE, RS and CUP badges so it’s all a bit, well, black!!

I think it would be great on track with the 888’s though, something I plan to do later this year. I ran them on a full-on track-day Clio 172 and they were great, even in the wet.

9. Can't go wrong on 888s although I don't think they do a high enough load rating for the Meg which may or may not be an issue on the road for insurance purposes, but not for track only use.

10. Never thought of that, had assumed that they'd be fine (same assumption made for the Merc which weighs 1864kg)

11. Blah, who cares about insurance?!

(I’m an Underwriter!!)

nickfrog likes this.
  12. The risk is pretty small of a claim being declined but I'll admit on quite liking being on the right "official" rating, however irrelevant that is technically.

13. Hi there and thankyou! The Megane has all black interior too and no Megane badge and I have to say I love it. It's first one I saw at KTec and I couldn't really look at anything else (I'd gone to view an Oyster Grey car..all my cars are normally black so I wanted a change). One thought I had, as with the Merc was to fit contrasting wheels in gunmetal to lift it a bit?

9h2vk7.jpg

I'm tempted to stick some R888Rs on for road use aswell just for fun on the twisties here in Surrey.

14. You could maybe carbon dip the exhaust trim if you want the full black effect.

15. Shame you can't get a titanium surround for the Megane, that would look excellent!

16. I think you can from streamline carbon

17. I can't see anything on their site other than the carbon one? Do you have a link perhaps? Alternatively, I could remove the surround and spray it up gloss black.

18. First thing I did was to re-powder-coat the wheels and I deliberated over gunmetal, or gloss-black or just the standard satin-black and in the end I went for satin. Glad I did as IMO it really suits the black car and is of course standard so Renault probably spent some time choosing that colour too!!. Your Merc looks great with its gunmetal wheels though but IMO would look even meaner in satin-black....!!

I'm having a "I like the black badges day" today, as I left for work I decided I liked them. A purchase for the future would be the later model’s black headlights.

I've ran a couple of track toys with 888's and kept them on sometimes when driving on the road, they're a great tyre but a) need some heat in them and b) don't like the wet leafs/mud etc. on the country back-roads. I can’t imagine how a circa 500 bhp RWD 'big' car like the Merc would behave with them on. My personal opinion would be to go for a happy medium (Cup-2’s or whatever they’re called) and then just keep the 888's for the track. Future purchase for me is to get a 2nd set of wheels which I will then shod with 888's and keep solely for the track or nice dry sunny days...

(We’re both called Mark!)

Mark_RS likes this.
  19. I'm thinking of doing the same. The only other option is the Streamline Carbon one which is v.expensive!!

20. I'll do mine when I get the car as I'm so impatient! I'll post up pics to help with your decision process.

21. It's a great name isn't it?

I took soooo long deciding on wheels for the Merc, I went with seal grey so it's satin and I love it. The stock wheels on the 507 are satin black funnily enough! I use those for track. Glad you're feeling the love for the dark side today, I cannot wait to get the car..I'm more excited about it than I was collecting the C63. Funny you mention the black headlights, they're on my shopping list aswell :smile:

I've used the R888 and the R888R, my preference is the Rs. I've run Cup rubber but the Rs are better. I used to use A048s on the Lotus and the Clio and they're also an epic tyre. My Radical had Direzza (I also bought a set for fun on my old A220 diesel Merc) and they seemed similar to the 888. On the road I use the AD08R which are great in the wet etc but are compromised on track.

I'm with you on track only wheels but it's a real pain to drive to Germany with a full set of rims and toolkit in the boot! That's my excuse for only hitting 168mph on the autobahn :smiley:

22. I can't be bothered with 2 sets of wheels, particularly when going to Spa/Ring indeed. This wasn't the main reason for choosing the Nankangs but they're so good in the wet that I am pretty stuck with them. Which is no hardship at £360 for 4 fitted.

23. “Mark is a common male given name and is derived from old Latin "Mart-kos", which means "consecrated to the god Mars", and also may mean "God of war" or "to be warlike". Marcus was one of the three most common given names in Ancient Rome. See Roman given names.”

I like the association with “God of war” – I will tell my wife that tonight. In private.

I was just using the 888 title loosely, couldn't remember if there was even an R or not, but from just quickly looking at the Toyo site the R's are listed as "new" and they have a different tread pattern to what I used so I think I just had the plain version. It looks like the R is more a track focused tyre, although with the central groove it looks like it will take the water better therefore may be better suited for the road anyway. It also doesn’t look like the standard version is available in our 235/40/18 size so only the R will fit anyway.

I also had the A048’s on a Lotus!! (I had a tuned 135R), I’d say they were more road suited though than the 888’s.

Anyway we’re digression talking about tyres…. (again….)

Definitely post a picture of the black exhaust surround, as mentioned it’s on the to-do list at some point. If it doesn’t work or flakes off then nothing lost really.

Likewise the black headlights!

24. That's a bargain and let's face it...you're not exactly slow on them!

25. God of War indeed, I'd like that on my business cards. I once put my job title as 'space cadet' for a trade show because I got sick of people looking at my job title and not my face when I spoke to them!

I had an Exige S2 with Audi S3 engine in the back, what a terrible terrible car that was...never worked right. You'll be shocked to find, it was black.

21bmxeh.jpg

git-r likes this.
  26. 160 at the ring is very quick!

Having done 150mph, I'd need a nappy to go quicker!

27. I cheated a little as it was a track day :smile:

git-r likes this.
  28. lol I was wondering if maybe it was using the full main straight!

Yeah on a track day that's not quite so scary... some of the psychopaths I know apparently hit an indicated 200 mph on that bit.

Then what's even more scary is the speed they take that left hander!

29. You realise just how tiny your saddle bag bollocks really are at that place...no doubt about it.

git-r likes this.
  30. Exactly. I've only done a few laps of the place, fear is the biggest feeling I get from going, then relief when I make it back without ruining my life!

Would love to be as comfortable as the quick guys but that takes so many laps, so much cost etc.

I've been 3 times, not sure if I'll go again, we're so spoilt for track days in the Uk, could have a much safer time for the same money and do 3/4 days over a week, staying somewhere nice in the middle of England.

31. I'm noticing a theme.....

Lovely Exige by the way, definitely my kind of car. My 135R was the default light-bluey-silver. But with satin black wheels!!

I can tell we're going to get along.

(I earnt the name Space Cadet many many years ago from rocking into work on a Monday morning after a weekend of clubbing.....)

git-r and Mark_RS like this.
  32. It's in my blood that place...I've been going for 10 years now, I've been fortunate enough to walk the grid on the 24H VLN and even passengered with a race team in their E36 M3 on practice day. I know what you mean though, that feeling of taking the last bend and seeing the gantry and thinking 'phew'.

git-r and nickfrog like this.
  33. You're clearly incredibly observant!

I always liked the 135R, a true driver car...not like mine. It looked the part though which was convenient as it spent most of its time 'looking fast' while pissing itself on my garage floor. It's the only car I've owned that managed to lose charge cooler, radiator and oil cooler fluid all at the same time. I ran Silicate in the cooler and OAT in the radiator to know which one was emptying itself on that particular day.

What made you go from the Lotus and what came before it?

34. I keep trying not to go back and git is quite right, it doesn't actually make sense as we have so many brilliant tracks. But none of them come close in terms of excitement, challenge, beauty etc... It does take quite a few laps before you're on top of it, ie for the inherent fear to recede and to get a sense that you're are kind of in "control". Maybe 50 laps ? It doesn't mean you know the track but it means you don't let it dictate your moves. Which is usually when it bites you. The place is simply addictive. There is nothing else in my life that is as addictive.

Mark_RS, ultralight and git-r like this.
  35. About 6 years ago my then boss (now just a good friend) asked if he could come along...he's been there every year with me since and more have tagged along. We do a fair few UK days too but the 'Ring is the big one and every single time we go it's a different experience. We've written off 3 hire cars there (Rent4Ring) over the years and I 'failed to turn left' at Adenau Forst on my first ever lap in my old Starlet Turbo (which was also black) and I'd say we're now in the 100s of laps easily so we know the turns but not the tarmac.

Three years ago Andy Carlisle who is the nutter biker record holder (youtube Nurburbring bike record and prepare to shit your pants) came out with me for a few laps and on the second lap he said 'right...now I'm going to hit you with my knowledge' I couldn't believe how intimately he knew that place...defied words then and still does now, he would say things like 'right you want the gearshifter on this part of the graffiti, the car will shift slightly then look for the yellow paint mark on the armco and aim for that, don't touch the rumble strip' etc etc.

git-r likes this.

36. Ha ha, mine, surprisingly from the sound of yours, never had any issues ....until I wrote it off!!f (too long a story to tell). Too many cars and bikes before and after it to mention all, nothing as exotic as a C63 though.

Probably most ‘hard-core’ was a Clio 172 that I bought for £2k and probably spent £30k+ on turning into a track-monster. That was silver though so probably not of interest to you. Other memorable cars include a 350Z, 370Z, classic Alfa Spider, Cooper S JCW, various tuned Golf GTI’ s etc. etc., all were 2nd cars for the weekend as have been driving family 4x4’s for a while now.

I missed the ‘driving for the fun of it’ and also the track days, hence me buying the Megane. Long story short I looked at a demo 275 Cup-S, loved it but couldn’t justify the man-maths for a car that I would drive once a week for an hour so I found an exactly identical looking 30,000 mile 250 Cup for almost half the price, £400 later it’s got 300bhp and is old enough to warrant tinkering with….

37. To be fair, the Lotus bit worked fine..it was the German contribution that didn't! You had a Clio 172? So did I...what a brilliant car that was. I still miss it. It lapped Brands Indy in 56 seconds with me behind the wheel, 2 seconds faster than the Merc. I too spent nothing on buying it and then far too much on making it more 'me'.

I've never once know man maths to fail me, even when I bought a Sega Rally arcade cabinet off a traveler (I'm not making this up) and sold it a week later having realised it didn't and would never work.

I think you need to start tinkering more, I haven't even got my Megane yet and I've already had a Forge BOV fitted and the KTR exhaust with sports cat :smile:

One of the only non black cars I've owned...and one of the best.

5lo4lf.jpg

38. You would’ve though it the other way round..!! The Indy circuit really suited the Clio, apart from Paddock Hill bend in the wet where there is the river of water – which in the short wheel-base Clio was a bit hairy!! I know its all pub-talk and obviously dependant on who’s driving etc. etc., but I remember lapping an R8 in the torrential rain at Brands on 888’s and many a time keeping up with GT3’s etc. Fantastic little car but perversely I made it too track-y and therefore totally unsuitable as a semi-sensible 2nd car. So I sold it and then had the itch for the last three years (and two young boys later) until I gave in and bought the Megane.

I’ve already started tinkering, as mentioned the re-map, wheel re-furb & new tyres, obligatory filter, have had the centre-silencer removed, I fitted an MTECH short-shifter linkage (can definitely recommend this!), upgraded the bulbs as the standard ones were shocking, de-badged, black badge covers. Next job, as we talk, is some black wheel bolts as mine are all rusty (coincidentally all the 6-month old 275 Cup-S’ bolts were the same). Will treat her to some new discs and uprated pads shortly, then as discussed, black headlights. And, and, and……..

git-r likes this.
  39. I was surprised by the Merc, it's better at bigger circuits where the power counts but no matter what I did I couldn't get below 58 seconds and I was consistent too. That's what I love about track days, soon sorts out the men from the boys and most of those who look fast and seek recognition are usually the ones seeing the blue flag all day :smile:

I think it's also a sign of age 'making it too track-y', when I was younger I thought nothing of driving a car with no opening windows and no fan from Germany to Austria in a day..I even enjoyed it. Now though, I prefer a more civilised approach with aircon and creature comforts. I tracked my A220 a few times and that opened my eyes to how capable a car can be in the right (ish) hands and that fun isn't proportional to expense of machinery. I'm impressed you lasted 3 years with that itch!

I'd be with you on the MTECH if I hadn't seen the CAE and decided I had to have one in my life :worried:

Which pads and discs are you going for out of interest?

git-r likes this.
  40. Yes I can imagine the Merc would be, especially on the full circuit.

Ha ha I know that fealing, stupidly I removed the heater.....!!! I regretted that in the winter when the windows steamed up so I ended up fitting a heated screen!

I'm itching to get another bike but the wife says NO!

Have you bought the CAE already? Looks a nice piece of kit (I fitted something similar to the Clio) but IMO it may look out of place in the Megane...

Discs & pads are like tyres, everyone has their opinion. Without going full-on separate PF rotors & bells I wouldn't have confidence in the quality of any of the non-Brembo normal type discs and as the Cup grooved discs are Brembo HC's I'm just going to go with them again. I've used Carbon Lorraine RC5+'s in the past for fast-road and occasional track and they were fantastic therefore will go with them. The 6's are even better on track but a bit too compromised for the road as need heat in them even just to stop from low speeds, which is not great when popping out for the paper and you can't stop at the end of your road...

Nick has recommended some new fluid, but apparently the ABS pump (I think) needs holding open with a diagnostic reader tool so as to be able to push the fluid through, so I will pass that job over to a garage!