Negative camber solution

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by git-r, Sep 26, 2016.

1. 3 trackdays in a row, you having a laugh :tired:

2. You're worth it! :smile:

3. MORE DATA:sunglasses:

Took Morag back to Brands today for the first time in the dry with the different camber.

Bearing in mind Brands is a very short circuit the difference of a second is huge. And it was a second quicker 56.8 V's 57.8 :yum:

Seeing sustained 1.1g in the corners.

I think the reason I'm not seeing 1.1g on the brakes is because of the lag of the G reading. Using the same tyres and lap timer in my old datsun hits much higher speeds so brakes for longer and does register 1.1g. Make any sense?
    The brakes were no problem thankfully, the pressure required to stop changes as they get hot, but once warm they stayed constant and I didn't have fade.

This vid was at the end of a long stint but once the traffic cleared I equalled my best of the day with another time of 56.83 and did two laps at 56.86. I am consistently slow at least :blush:

richmillions and -Jamie- like this.
  4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Good work!

git-r likes this.
  5. 1.1g peak equals 10.8m/s2 peak in deceleration. You're running Stock setup with what tyres?

I think that's probably the maximum you'll achieve with this setup, hot hatches aren't that great on brakes.

And whereas it'll be fairly easy for a Megane to make >1g lateral, in deceleration it will only work in ideal circumstances (the 1.1 I mean).

And of course added camber won't help either.

git-r likes this.
  6. I'm running AD08R tyres. I don't really understand the technicalities tbh but was looking at the data and seeing room for improvement. Also, I run more camber on my other car too.
    My theory about the lag does make sense to me at least lol!

7. It's funny when you watch a video of someone's lap it always looks calm and collected but it doesn't feel like that when you're driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattyt likes this.
  8. Yep and always looks slower!

9. Agreed, it always looks slow but as said it doesn't feel it!

I'll upload some footage from in car, the above was just my phone and lap timer. It looks much quicker, esp when a mclaren doesn't want to let me past :wink:

I'm actually at brands again on Friday but have booked the whole day. Fingers crossed I'll take the Megane and the Datsun if the weather is as good as it's meant to be. Since getting the Megane in August I've only used the Datsun once :worried:

10. Two reasons:

1. Lenses aren't particularly wide angle so capture things that don't move much (ie the road)

2. They're focused firmly in front - a sense of speed is created if the shot includes stuff passing on the side

11. UPDATE :smile:

Took the car to Snetterton yesterday and had an absolutely fantastic time!

Weather was perfect and the car set a new best time of 2:18 - very chuffed with that as that's a whopping 7 seconds quicker than my first abortive attempt with stock camber and crap tyres.

The tyres have been rotated side to side and front to back but still have more life, I've lost count how many track days they've done but the wear is ok. Still think it'd be better with more negative camber but this is the most possible with the stock suspension.

Front disc wear has been good although I'm on my 4th set of front pads!

I met forum user Matt and his lovely red 250 yesterday and am currently trying to forget how much quicker his car was and how much better it looked on cornering. Over a lap I could just about keep up but every straight it pulled away and looked really sorted on the corners. Must not modify, must not modify!!

Going to Brands this afternoon so will see if there's any more time to be had from my previous effort of 56.8. I doubt it as the tyres are past their best now but will be fun finding out.

Vids to follow if anyone interested!

12. Great stuff! 56.8 is fairly quick I reckon you will get into the 55s!! My quickest lap racing is 55.6 so your not far off!!! [emoji106]

git-r likes this.
  13. Thanks Matty, I'll never get into the 55's but it did go slightly quicker at 56.6 lol!

55's are excellent, not many cars can go that quick :smile:

After a full day at snetterton and an afternoon at brands it has got through another set of front pads lol!

The tyres are pretty done too, still gripping well but worn quite badly on the edges.

14. All perfectly normal lol. Though my car seems pretty kind on those though only doing 2 15 min races at a meeting plus quali. I am racing at Snetterton on Sunday funnily enough! Come over though I think they are charging £10 lol

Trackdays do smash tyres and brakes because of the time spent on track!

git-r likes this.
  15. Yup, completely agree... so much fun though!! :smile:

Wow you lucky thing, weather is meant to be beautiful on Sunday, would love to come but not allowed :worried:

Make sure you get some footage and good luck!!

16. Will do [emoji106]

The last round will be on Motorsport.tv on 29th April I believe! You can support the RS Megane by watching [emoji106]

git-r likes this.
  17. Few vids from last couple of outings: (pretty boring I'm afraid)

Snetterton 4/4/17
    As always a great day out. Fantastic to meet Matt and his red 250.
    Lap time fell to 2:18
    Car was faultless again :smile:
    It took nearly ten mins for this gt3 to let me pass lol!

Brands 5/4/17
    Just did an afternoon session.
    Following this Clio Cup was fun, he had a spin at the end!

Bit of lapping with a new Civic Type R. The owner used to have a Megane and said he missed it and felt more comfortable in it. His Civic was running goodyear F1's so had no grip but was quicker on the straights. The suspension looked great too.

An E46 M3 track car, it times like these I wish I had more power!! :smile:

18. I was at Snetterton today racing will get round to doing a report [emoji106] it's quite good [emoji4]

git-r likes this.
  19. Hi.
    Does anybody have experiences with SilverProject camber plates for Meg3 RS? Any pro/con?

20. git-r likes this.
  21. Dear all,

I am thinking of getting the AST camber plate for my R26R (stock shock absorber), is there anything I have to be aware of? Also, has anyone got a picture of them especially the bottom side of them that can show to me?

Thanks and regards

22. Afraid I can't be of help, might be worth starting another thread?

23. Think someone's put some up for sale. There'll be photos there bud

24. thanks