Need a change....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by moono16v, Feb 26, 2018.

1. evening all I’m in the market for a new car but really cannot decide what.

Me and my wife have recently had our first baby (7 month old now) and the Megane is becoming a bit of a pain getting him in the back etc.

It is a daily car for me and my wife.

The only must really is that it is 5 door and oviiously a bit of performance however I have a 197 as a track slag so don’t go on as many B road blasts so not massively fussed.

We both decided it was going to be a focus rs mk3 but after driving it and putting pram in the boot it is smaller than the fiesta!!! We knew it was small but after reading up on reviews they all say it’s smaller than a fiesta.

Type R love its drive but just still unsure about how it looks when your taking your grandma out for dinner.

Audi S1 would be my choice but no way due to size or an M135/140 but the rear wheel puts me off come winter when we have to get to work!

Mrs really wants a 4 wheel drive as we live on a very steep hill and get quite a bit of snow in winter so I’ve thought about the s3 (is it too dull). Audi S4?

Golf R is a great option as brother had one and so too my mate and they are super quick but they get stollen constantly and 9/10 of them are di*ks who drive them!

So any other good options anyone can think of???

2. A45? S3 Saloon? The new Cupra?

M135i/M140i get stolen a lot too, but would be fun to drive.

moono16v likes this.
  3. A45 very costly with a decent spec / miles.

S3 saloon....I prefer the hatch.

Cupra is a good shout though I’ll have a look at them.

4. 240i is a lot nicer looking than the 140!,very fast..a detuned M2 really.
    Evo magazine are liking there long termer..

Cupra is getting ragged these days with its 300hp+
    Struggles to get that power down.

Dont count out the Hyundai and the Pug 308GTI both fine cars if you are not a badge snob!

moono16v likes this.
  5. It’s only 3 door the 240I isn’t it.

No badge snob here haha we own Renault!

6. Or you could go wild with the new Meganesport.
    60mm wider track and 4 wheel steer,in a far more practical shape.
    EVO reviewed it this week,saying its as good a handler as anything on the market..

7. ha ha..but you have to say Renaultsport seems to be held in much higher regard ,
    than humdrum Renault products these days.

And yes..unfortunately the 240 is a coupe...but its fkn fast..not to far at all behind the M2.

My mate has just traded in his M140 after less than a year.
    was to uninvolving..traded it in for a Civic type R.
    As you say though...i couldnt live with its hideously ugly in your face looks.
    Shame,as its designed to go round corners from the ground up.

8. Another friend spent over 40k on his 7.5 golf R!
    With its piggy back ecu to the tune of 400hp!..the fkn thing is a rocket ship.

But again..its all speed and no substance.

God knows what internals these VAG products have to handle such high outputs,
    without going bang..

9. New megsport will be on my drive once the initial stupid money has gone out of them....give it 3 years or so.

Golf R’s are out of this world with just a revo map!! They’re scary!!

The facelift type R is so so ugly!

10. Mrs wants an s3 sportback. We share the Clio 197 and meg so it’s got to be a joint call with my decision being 70% haha.....

Anyone driven one? Reckon it’s a really dull daily?

11. well reviews say the RS3 is a fkn rocket ship..but with all the usual VAG moans about leaving the driver out
    you would assume the s3 is more of the same.

still..nice place to be,and will hold its money well.

12. dont laugh..but Seat are about to launch a 300hp MPV..might cover your bases!

moono16v likes this.
  13. Mate had the 360 then the 400 one and they are super super quick cars and handled really well I found, just BIG money!

Ye that’s what I thought with the s3 my brother had the earliest one the 210/225 back in 2002ish....and it was like driving a barge when you hit the slightest of corner!! They are great all rounders tho which is what we need.

I really really don’t want to part with the meg even after 6 perfect years!!!

14. also SEAT do the LEON cupra estate version with the haldex 4WD from the golf R
    lots of car for your money there..

moono16v likes this.
  15. Even The SKODA VRS is one hell of a lot of car for the money.
    I knew someone who had the estate with the chrome delete black pack,in sonic blue.
    looked really mean...3 trouble free years before trade in.

moono16v likes this.
  16. Bet they are a superb bargain all singing car!!!

17. Golf R is a spectacular all-rounder and a lot fewer of them get stolen than the internet would have you believe. I had one. Not nearly as involving as the Megane but it just does everything brilliantly.

The S3 is just a Golf R in a posh frock. The cheap leases have made the Golf really good value, so I would probably choose that.

If it's not for you, an Octavia vRS 230 or 245 would be very high up my list. Really practical, sharp looks and a Golf GTI performance pack underneath, with the VAQ diff.

Leon Cupra is getting very affordable too. Like the Octavia, it has the EA888, so almost endless tuning potential. I prefer the looks of the Octavia myself, so it would be between that and the Golf for me.

18. Megane GT estate 220 with a remap maybe?

moono16v likes this.
  19. My brothers R was almost taken he was woken to two lads in balaclavas in his kitchen and they had took the time to unscrew both his patio doors.....when he came down they ran and jumped into another golf R which was sat waiting!

They do do everything so well tho!!!!

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Does it have to be the "sporty" version of whatever you are looking at if you have a 197 for track and b roads?

I'd be looking at a new 3 series with X drive, a 35d or similar. Chuck a good tune on it and you have rediculous numbers and performance but still the comfort and use of a 4WD saloon.

21. Something in that to be honest. I often drive a Focus Titanium at work. The big sidewalls and squidgy suspension are actually quite nice after the Megane.

A softer car for a daily is quite a good idea.

22. A little late with this option, but what about a Skoda Superb Sportline 280? Fast, comfortable, 4x4 and an absolutely massive interior/boot. Having owned an Octy vRS, would definitely be on my list.