Might be time to sell the 275

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by csmith8757, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Or 5ft8 and 10st haha. It's surprisingly easy once you get used to it.

2. you'd be surprised how easy it is.

Its like putting on a condom. The first few tries its a fiddly fucker but after a bit you could do it in the dark without much effort.

3. shame your selling feirny! but can understand that kind of millage would be quite excessive.

How about buying something cheap then have this for the weekend.

4. :wink::wink: nice one.
    I'm 6'2" and 15st so no amount of practice is going to help me squeeze into an elise without yoga lessons. Getting out is even harder. I appreciate that they are massive fun though, when you do get behind the wheel.

5. Yeah at 6.2 you'd touch the roof if you were to wear a helmet on track days. so no not a good idea.

6. I am 6'2" and I want a lotus next, so I guess it won't be an Elise then!

lok101 likes this.
  7. I'm 6ft 3" and found the exige and Elise ok for size to be fair. Although I can't comment on the helmet part as I wasn't wearing one for the test drive lol!

It's funny as the elise you sit lower than the vx220 despite being the same car almost. I found the vx the top of the screen surround was just not tall enough and I was having to crane my head down to see out properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewant81 likes this.
  8. That's some thread resurrection! I think I posted that two years ago and I still have the R26 [emoji23][emoji23]. Still find it capable on track and it's paid for itself already.

Will buy a Lotus one day, but need a bigger house first to store all tools and spare parts.

9. NJH

NJH

Cazper has sort of convinced me to try trailering again, might as well as I have an BJ Clubman and P38 Rangie tow truck. If you can trailer it opens up a whole world of options. For my sins I keep looking at ex-race R300s or if I could push the boat out the Lotus 2-11, would love that Lotus seen a few on track and it seems pretty much the perfect track day car.

Pretty much the perfect road going Elise right there, there is a school of thought that says the bigger power newer models miss the point of the car (B road medium speed fun), or move further away from the original lightweight and no assistance aids ethic of the Elise. I don't know enough about Elises to say if there is any truth in that but it seems to be the goldilocks model for some.

10. If the new Meganesport isnt as good a package as the 275..the values could go right up.
    So maybe keep it for a while, to see how the market fluctuates .

ewant81 and lok101 like this.
  11. Bear in mind this thread is two years old. I think he'd have either decided to sell or not by now...

12. ha ha yes...didnt spot that!

13. This is my current thought process, plus I reckon the new Megane won't offer the same buzz.

14. I am starting to love mine again so may just add some tweaks as even now there's not many cars available for similar money that offer such fun / performance, not without spanking £35k or thereabouts!

15. I'm pretty much in the same boat right now. Although not quite into it as i was. Over the last few months I've been on the look out for something else that will give me the same smile as a daily with some track use. I nearly bought a golf r 7.5 not long ago, but after a spirited drive on way home from the deal I called and cancelled, as a 30k+ golf would not have given me more driving fun that the Meg. Recently I've been looking at an Sti again. Had a couple and they have a character that the german hyper hatches cannot match.

That said I'm waiting to see what the mk4 looks and drives like in just over a week and I'll decide after that, which may mean keeping the meg and tweaking it. Lost count of how many times i've had coil-overs, uprated bushes, oz ultras and CAE shifter in my online basket and hovered over the buy button thinking why spend this, just change the car....'real world problems' lol

16. Aye I am pretty much the same. The only other car I'd like would be the GTI clubsport S but they're £35k and if you read reviews they still aren't quite as 'pure' as the Megane. Mine has a CAE shifter and pilot sport cup 2 tyres and I've had it a few years but enjoy it whenever I drive it. I normally get bored of cars quickly! Thing is I think I matter what you have you will want something else eventually. I think 35k is too much for a golf when you consider that a 911 could be had for similar dosh. Think I'll strip the Meg at the rear to enhance it more, get some nice brakes then be done with the idea of changing for a while (I hope!)

17. Always at the back of my head is the niggle that I regretted selling my RS250 a while back. I know I'll be the same with the 275. I'm off out this week for a test in an Sti and going to drop in for a good look round the CTR at Edinburgh Honda. What makes it worse is working offshore for three weeks and get an idea in your head to change, which leads to pistonheads, autotrader and youtube review meltdowns convincing yourself its the right thing to do, then get home in the meg and think wtf is going to beat this for a driving experience.

18. Lol you should avoid car websites as that's how these bad ideas start to manifest themselves, which invariably leads to a new purchase! [emoji848]

evojkp likes this.
  19. I keep thinking I might do this at Edinburgh Honda as well. Would never buy one but I'd be interested to see what they're like.

20. I think the honda will certainly be the car closest to the outgoing Meganesport in the way it goes down a B road.
    Can you live with those looks though?..police and boy racer magnet.

Mind you,if you are looking at STI`s then they are not to far removed in the styling department.

The STI seems to have been left far behind by its competitors.
    Years back,it was the performance bargain of the decade,now you barely see a new one going around.

21. Not convinced it's been left far behind. Still a very capable bit of kit that has plenty go, grip and outstanding feedback feel. Maybe because it's not part of the xbox generation it's not seen as worthy. I do wish the Scooby and Evo days were still on the go.

Never really been one to bother what others think of the car I buy, when its looks are not generically aesthetic to the norm. The meg is not a good looking car...purposeful but fugly. It's all about how it drives. The golf r I test drove was outstanding and so so close to ordering one, but it has no character....bloody fast and capable, but empty, if that makes sense.

22. I was bored so actually went to drive it today. I didn't actually notice it being that much faster acceleration wise than the Megane (though that could be because it was with two people in the car). The interior is another level however. Lots of kit as standard, and a decent infotainment system. It seems very well built. The gearshift is absolutely excellent, and the auto rev matching is perfection. In comfort mode it was very habitable.

Obviously I couldn't drive it flat out, but I'm sure it would match the Megane on road handling as well.

Having said all that, I'm happy with my Megane and would get something another level up if I was to replace it.

23. Going later in the week for a look. Their demo is grey with the orange accents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. Are you guys talking about the brand new model or the (fk) version? Had a run against one of the from standstill and my trophy was edging ahead. Could've been the cup 2 tyres though giving better grip/acceleration in terms of putting down the power.

25. The dealer at Fort Kinnaird has a red GT model. We're talking about the brand new one, but having looked at the stats it's almost 150mm wider at the door mirrors than a Megane! Not what you want on a small B road...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  26. Ahhh I see. The new one is big but quite a weapon I believe!

27. my mate has just ordered his 7.5.
    He was looking at either a 235i or a M2,but our local BMW dealership didnt even bother to phone him back when he enquired.

Evo magazine seem to believe some of the handling sharpness has been dialed out on the 7.5, in the pursuit of more comfort.
    While its Seat Leon cousin is now struggling to contain the 300hp it now has.

evojkp likes this.