Michelin PS4 Info Thread

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Powello9, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Ordered 4 PS4s to replace my barely legal Vredesteins Vortis, £114 each off black circles. Looking forward to seeing how they compare.

2. Awesome, let us know how they go.

3. I'm going to get these for my RS4 ! Should be better then the Eagle F1 Assy metric 2's I have.
    As said let us know what you think of them bud

4. Hey guys, just bumping this thread to see if anyone has any on road experience of this tyre? Particularly vs PSS and PS3.

5. The ps3 was never intended to be a all out sports tyre..its direct comparison will be the PSS which it is replacing.
    The ps4 is intended to be the true replacement for the ps2.

I have just replaced my ps2 with PSS...I am hoping for great things,as many have confirmed..

6. And from Evo are saying a replacement to the the PSS. Looking forward to hearing how these tyres go.

7. In response to the above have just out my ps3 on the rear and had 3 new ps4 on the front on Friday have done bout 200 miles since. Must say very impressed so far car has more front end confidence but that may be helped by having the ps3s on the rear now too. They do look very nice on the rims too

8. EVO are wrong. PSS will have a proper replacement soon. Still continuing in OE sizes/markings for the time being. The idea Tha the PSS is a dry focused tyre is quite wrong, particularly in 225 which is very open. Personally I am moving away from Michelin as I am tired of their soft sidewalls. I chewed the shoulders of my front PSS in the BMW for no apparent reason where a stiffer tyre wouldn't have rolled over itself. I'd rather have a Yoki Advan 105 (massively underrated tyre) than the PSS. Will switch to Nankang NS2R anyway for a laugh, tired of being conservative. YOLO as my kids say although this could literally bite me in the ass...

9. I've got mich ps3 not up to much ,in fact id say there naff really naff,hope these ps4 are better ,had mich pss on my astra vxr gtc and were brilliant even in the wet.

10. So i'm looking to buy my new tyres. currently on the car are the PSS 225/40 R18 88Y (the only ones i could get at the time) they've served me very well.. however i'm thinking of going for the 92Y this time. unless anyone has a small bit of experience with the PS4's they wish to share (as they are OEM size)

there's not a lot in it (financially) so it will be down to performance... however if there is not much feedback on the PS4's i'll just stick with the PSS' with the higher load rating (not too sure what sort of impact that would have)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. I've ordered 4x PS4's and should be fitted this week. I'll give an honest review from a spirited driver.

12. Look forward to it powello!! Enjoy.

13. Looking forward to decent review so i know wether to order or not

14. Michelin reckon the PS4 is better than the PSS in all but dry track grip. Even then it's close.

15. We any the wiser on real world tests on the PS4s?

Tempted to pick up 4 tomorrow (track day coming up next Friday)

16. I wouldn't recommend Michelin road tyres for track use, particularly with the full 8mm. Sidewalls are too soft. To high a block will make shoulder overheating even worse. What do you have now ? Can't u finish them off on track and still get home ?

17. Bit of advice for everyon. Tyre leader have PSS in 235/40/18 ZR18 95Y for £125 a corner. Great price! Great tyre!

18. Would people go for an XL tyre for an RS250?

19. Suppose with a 95Y load rating that is more than enough for the Megane isn't it?

20. I had to replace 1 tyre (had a puncture) they only had the ps4's one thing I can say is the 225 ps4 is not as wide as the 225 pss

PSS (excuse the wear replacing them on payday)
    a2ad7187b85b81daafb65bbca112d221.jpg

PS4
    30e34a65300a46daee6ecc985b2a6c36.jpg

Obviously I can't tell any difference... But the PSS still (to me at least) is the more performance orientated tyre.

Will wait to hear others experience with them... Otherwise I'll stick with the PSS'

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

21. Stick 235 PS4's on. They are the pukka size.

22. Got them PS4's for the last 1000miles drives twisty road every day for commuting and they are great, remind me of the PS2's in some respect, weird to get used too at first but after a few miles to stick well.

charlie1984 likes this.
  23. So, what are the first impressions of PS4? I'm particularly interested if they have softer side walls than PS2 or not, IOW do they have the same turn-in sharpness as the PS2s?

24. Well the pss are £88 each now for 225/40/18 92y
    But I find they don't last that long really really good handling though
    The longest lasting tyres I have had are potenzas and pzero nero
    Wonder how the ps4 are doing

25. Just had a 2500 mile run on the PS4's down through France and then back up through Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium.
    Got to say I was very impressed. Excellent in torrential rain and extremely good been pushed hard on mountain roads. I was only let down by the brakes on the mountain roads, tyres were more than up to it. I would consider them a slight improvement over my previous tyres (PS2's) but not a lot in it.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  26. NJH

NJH

Yes and no in terms of sharpness. I have them on the back of mine since the end of last week, done one mega cross country scutch on them and have to say I like them a lot. Sidewalls are more heavily built up than PS2, they feel more solid to me but ride a bit smoother so I guess they must have a slightly different structure to the PS2 despite having very similar looking tread. Stability is superb, very confidence inspiring but you may find a car on older Michelins more pointy, the original Cups were like that, made for more pointy handling than any other List 1B tyre but was nothing to do with stiffness as other List 1B tyres are far stiffer. Car is very surefooted, I reckon they will hang on more reliably, I can say for sure they have slightly more dry grip than worn PS2 as my car has developed a level of slight understeer it didn't have before. Overall I think they must be a very similar tyre as I have PS2 on the front and PS4 on the back yet the balance of car feels really beautiful to drive, personally I think they are the PS2 replacement we have been waiting for, for several years.

poppap7 likes this.
  27. MBC

MBC

More grippy than the Vredstein ultrac sessanta. I've shrunk the width too on mine. They are decent tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. New wheels arrived, going to order either super sports or ps4, hoping they last a bit longer than the yoko's.

3mm left after 6500kms..

Found both in 235/40r18 super sports are €155 each and ps4 €144 (+€15 montage, balancing..)

29. Which yoko's ad08s
    Was that with track days too
    Only just over 4000 miles that I had them on my type r and they lasted ages Road driving no tracks

30. They are advan sport v105, 1 trackday + 4 laps of ring.
    They have noticeably better dry and wet grip than the rear potenza's.

I also tought about putting 4x ad08R or nankang ns2r (both 180 compound semi/street slick) but since these 'normal' yoko's wear out so quick I figured the ad08r/ns2r would last alot less kms? Or am I wrong and would these last as long as PSS?

31. Well my pss didn't last long and that's without track use
    Cant remember how many miles they did but was quite shocked they only lasted so long but and I say but I think my balljoints went around half of that and they wear quicker and I didn't have no knock or anything so only realised come not time

TurboFlorio likes this.
  32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

AD08's last a fair amount of time, Ive done 2.6k plus 25 laps of the Ring and the fronts still have around 4.5mm if not more.

TurboFlorio likes this.
  33. With no track use my PSS have lasted about 15 - 18k that's just spirited road miles... But mainly town driving which probably explains it... Think I will try the ps4's

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

TurboFlorio likes this.