275 Michelin pilot super sports

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by evojkp, Aug 20, 2016.

1. After much deliberation I went for these to replace the wrecked Bridgestone re050's.

Initial impressions are 'holy bat poop'. I thought the grip was good before, but now it's just ridiculous.

I've a few bends and corners that I use as reference and on all I can carry more entry speed, cornering speed and grip on exit. Also a noticeable improvement on wet grip acceleration. You have to be a hooligan to get the TC to cut in.

They won't last long but worth it. I got the set for £550 on 235/35 19.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Good going, they're superb. Try and run not too low a front pressure az it helps preserving the outer shoulders (soft sidewalls).

3. What pressure do u recommend?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just a shame the sidewalls are so soft they destroy the steering feel and precision of the Megane.

Lewis likes this.
  5. An improvement over std for tyres and I suppose it's subjective to how you drive day in and out. For me they have improved by steering and response greatly. For the road I don't think there is any better tyre on 19's.

Soft sidewalls, wear quicker meh! I'll just replace them when they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Steering response , accuracy and feedback are definitely better with Bridgestones
    I think you don't push the car enough.... into corners and direction changes.

7. Even better grip, combined with soft sidewalls alter totally the car' s charActer. Not playful anymore, no sharp responses. almost like vags .

8. Edited coz I give up.

I've got a crap car on crap tyres and I'm a crap driver by all accounts.

Fucking love this place.....not!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Oh dry your eyes.

What do you expect when posting on a public forum about things that people have used before?

I Preferred the PS2's over the PSS', Curious to try the PS4 at some point as well

10. No, taking my ball back... [emoji23]

-Jamie- likes this.
  11. I'm going to be needing a set soon, so debating on what to go for. Will be taking a couple track days through the year
    But mostly to and throw from work.
    See a lot of people using the Michelin

12. Wow this thread took a turn eh!

Ps2 best road tyre I've ever used. Shame I hear the soft side walls in the pss I would have given them a go otherwise

Sure I read somewhere ps4 sidewalls were soft too though?

13. "The (now old) Pilot Super Sport always had a soft sideway feel in 18 inch which resulted in some sideways movement in the rear of the car. These MPS4's have no such movement. Turns in instantly, takes the line and maintains it without any corrective steering inputs. I've never felt so secure throwing the car through S bends."

Direct user review seems promising for ps4's

14. And from auto express

"You could be forgiven for thinking that this tyre is the successor to the Pilot Sport 3, but things are never that simple in the world of Michelin. The French giant has gone to some lengths to explain that, despite the name, this is really an update for the more sports-focused Super Sport and has precious little to do with the Pilot Sport 3. Apparently a mid-life refresh for the Super Sport evolved into the Pilot Sport 4. For us, it became a winner."

Sorry for hijacking your thread lol

15. No worries lol. Hijack away.

Your needs and expectations for rubber is beyond mine. Also your experience of them. I've always been a contisport 5p user and these are better than them. So chuffed with how they are performing as a really good daily tyre.

16. Cool, bodes well for the ps4 if they did replace them then!

evojkp likes this.
  17. AB7

AB7

I don't know about the PSS, as I have jumped from the PS2 to the PS4, but I have to call this assessment BS. Ok, maybe coming from a worse PSS you might be tricked into feeling the sidewalls are ok, but they are not.

The PS4 is noticeably worse than the PS2. It's exactly like steering said, a vague feeling when turning, the car gets upset easily when it finds any bump mid corner (it clearly seems that the sidewalls are flexing a lot). This is in 18 inch rims.

PS4 do provide considerably more grip than what I recall of the PS2 when they were new. But they are not a tyre for a car like this. I'm going to try increasing the tyre pressures to see whether it gets any better.

Any suggestions on a worthy tyre for our cars?

18. Just wait until it rains and your smile will be even larger.

19. Sorry late reply - I would increase by 0.2 bars at the front and the experiment - you may lose a little lat grip but might be worth it.

The problem with exacerbated outer shoulder wear is that you end up having to bin the tyres when the inside still has 4/5mm.

20. I will be switching to Yokohama Advan 105 just because of the stiffer sidewall.

MilosB likes this.
  21. Thank u, i can already notice the outer shoulder being shaved away only after 2 weeks!!!

nickfrog likes this.
  22. That's a shame to hear. I have always returned to ps2 as nothing better to me as a road tyre. Thanks for the feedback on the ps4!

23. Just wanted to post this.
    Out of 4 tires I had
    Yoko 105
    Toyo t1r
    Conti sc3
    Eagle f1 asy 2

The yoko's were the sharpest in corners and gave me most confidence. Of the 4 the stiffest sidewals and no uneven wear on them.
    All the wear markers were reached in +- 0.2mm difrence.
    After reading so much baut the pilot versions with soft sidewalss.. I thing i will skip the quest to find out the same and go back to the yoko 105 or the 595 rsr..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

nickfrog likes this.
  24. T
    Thank you for your feedback.! I was expecting that.
    Totally inappropriate tyres if you really Drive the car hard on dry road.
    Go for v105 or vredestein vorti or Bridgestones s001.

25. I really wonder how many of the guys voting for ps4 in the other thread, have already tried the tyre

26. Soft side walls or not,i think the PSS are a improvement on the PS2..
    .Had 2 sets of ps2 over the years,and the PSS have just as good a turn in with more grip..i run 31psi in the front.

I also had conti 5p..more grip than the ps2..lasted about 5 mins before they were worn out..5k max.

If Pss are so soft and squidgy,then why are the standard equipment on many a high performance car like the Focus RS and BMW M2?

A recent article for EVO magazine stated that the PSS offered more than enough confidence in the Focus RS not to warrant a more extreme tyre..

The PSS also had the best dry lap times in the recent EVO tyre test..surely not possible if the sidewalls were folding up on the rims??

Had my PSS on for 1000miles now..no signs of sidewall scrubbing yet..but we will see as the miles rack up.

27. I agree..i suspect the people that are scubbing sidewalls are pushing harder than us.
    Although in saying that,i live in the devon country side were great speed can be carried across country when the roads are quiet.
    God knows how hard so of you must be pushing to chew up the tyres.

28. You don't have to push to the limits to understand the difference. Quicker steering, more stable at speed.

Read this

29. You really think the articles in the magazines are not paid advertisment?!

Also isnt 31psi a tad to soft for the road? I would understamd for a trackday but for road use .. Hmmm
    If you run each tire at that low of a pressure i rally dont understand how you kept your tire on a rim as that is supper soft, and no wonder it eats up the sidwalls when you are driwing on it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

30. Wow 31. I am on 34 cold

31. I'm pretty sure Renault recommend 32 front 30 back (road not motorway driving) and the reverse for track.

I always ran higher on the rear on my r26 got better turn in

Why anyone runs higher pressures for this kind of car is beyond me. Not a car for economy!

andrewjeffs likes this.
  32. Test is normally held at the continental test track..so I don't think they are going to promote Michelin tyres..do you?
    were did I say my car is scrubbing sidewalls?
    My tyre pressures are within 1psi of the Renault recommendations??

And rolling tyres of the rim?!..whats that about..I had had my R26 for 6 years,and have never had a tyre front or rear that's not worn completely even across the tread.

33. I run 31/32psi all round..any more and I found the car understeered more.

34. These are correct pressures for 18" rims

35. Just about pressures for the mpss - it's worth contacting Michelin for conformation but they recommend very high pressures for track days. 40psi plus.

I think maybe the reason people report bounce or soft tyre wall is because they were designed to run higher pressure.

I ran a set and found them brilliant - the dry corner g was almost identical to track tyres but with low noise/comfort and vastly superior all weather performance.

36. I've run all three of these tyres:

MPS2
    MPSCup2
    MPSS

I found the ps2's excellent in most conditions. I then went to cup 2's. These are the best tyres for steering feel and performance without question. The dry grip is unreal. I currently have PSS's as I fancied trying them and I echo the sentiments regarding the soft side walls. They are a good and very progressive tyre but not a patch on the cup 2's. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs their head examining (read reviews saying pss are almost as good - not really!) did a track day a few weeks back and they just do not grip like the cup 2's. They wear well but some of the feeling of the car is lost on them. Ideally would like track wheels in 19'' on cup 2's and my 18's will be daily drivers with either ps2 or ps4 although I haven't tired those yet.

37. As mentioned above, I've had the Vredestien Ultrac Vortis on mine for the last year, 235/40/18 on a R26. 3 track days, a ring trip and lots of road driving.

The sidewalls are massively stiff, super sharp turn in. (Maserati OEM fit now too). They have a large load rating which contributes to this. I've found them consistent on 15-20 min track session pushing hard if the warm pressures are kept below 30psi. Sidewalls have coped very well, obviously a bit of rolling as you'd expect with a heavy FWD car, but you'll never illuminate that without using a purpose build track tyre/slick. They're also very quiet on the road which was a surprise. Wet grip was comparable to anything I've used before.

Overall the best compromise road/track tyre I've used. They're under £100 a corner in this size too so unrivalled value.

38. I have MPSS on the front of my car and tbh, they didn't seem any different to my Contis. I've heard about the soft walls but noticed too much of an issue, although on track they overheated very quickly (it was a hot day). I doubt I'd buy them again tbh. They are pricey and, for me, little better than what I had before.

39. Be interested to hear more about this. 40psi seems mega! Mine were about 2.7 bar on track.