Megane 250 Rear brakes advice

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Dazman, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Hey!
    Been told my RS is gonna fail it's MOT with rear brakes binding
    Just wondered what sort of price i should be paying for a new pair of discs and pads on the back
    Renault offered to do it for 250 which i think is rather reasonable
    cheapest i can find just for parts is eurocarparts for 400 quid before there 33% discount so will be like 280 just for the parts
    Anyone else able to offer any advice on this or the best prices for oem replacement
    Thanks!

2. Renault parts direct, think the discs are £217.

3. That 250 figure from reno is per side ?

4. i dont think so, believe it was 250 total price

5. If your brakes are binding you need to strip them down and re grease the sliding pins. This is what causes retraction issues.

6. £250 doesn’t sound right from Renault. Is that just for parts or with fitting?

7. Thats fitted and with brake fluid aswell
    Do you think they've only quoted me for one side prehaps
    Price she gave me was 221 for the discs to be precise

8. Sorry was 222

Screenshot_20180308-184917.png

9. Something a miss there. At a guess I’d say you’re looking at £500 plus from Renault with fitting.

10. Seems odd that they would only quote me for changing of one disc though :openmouth:
    When the mechanic explained it be said both discs needed doing and tbh I would imagine you naturally would change both discs together anyway

11. Wow yeah so I dropped off my car and they've rang me saying that price didnt include the costs of the discs, surely they can't do that right,

12. I'm just gonna do them myself
    What the best place to get new ones ? Eurocarparts works out about 300 quid

13. I managed to get hold of brembo discs and pads for just under 250 inc vat
    Gonna have a go at doing it myself when it decides to stop snowing :sweatsmile:
    Anyone know of any walkthrough or decent guides on how to do it?
    I reckon I could manage but would rather have a step by step to save me time and make sure i do everything right
    Thanks in advance for any help

14. There's actually a guide on here but it's for the R26 rather than the 250. I'm unsure as to whether there's much difference between the two rear brakes setups. Also, all the pictures in the guide have succumbed to the Photobucket apocalypse. Might still be worth a look though.

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It's easy enough to do rears.

Wheel off caliper off the carrier then carrier off the hub, hub nut is 36mm, you may need a hub puller to get them off if they are stuck to the stub axle, or just give it a good twat with a lump Hammer

Back on, hub nut torque is 220nm so make sure you have a torque wrench that goes high enough

T&biskits likes this.
  16. Proper ' man mechanic' terminology used ( twat).:wink:

-Jamie- likes this.
  17. Right haha
    I'm ready to give it a go tomorrow, I found a guide on another Renault forum so that should be mostly similar
    I don't have a hub puller so will be 'twatting' it off with the hammer :tearsofjoy:

18. My torque wrench goes up to 210