Meg RS300 vs 911 (Carrera S) 997

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by wackers90, Dec 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. My friends and I went up to Wales to enjoy some of the roads around there in our various vehicles. Of course we opened them up around some beautiful country roads and the only car with the group that seemed roughly equally as capable as the meg (but did it in a completely different way) was the Porsche 911. (Others included an Elise, WRX & Sierra Cosworth)

Now we are by no means pro drivers though I would say we're fairly decent. In a straight line we were fairly similar with the meg's midrange poke helping it at lower revs and the higher reving nature of the 911 making it quicker at the top end. Man that thing made some noise too! You could really tell when he put the foot down!

In the real world around the corners though the meg would seem to have a small advantage! Of course on a track the comparison between the two cars may be different! I found though, the feedback from the car was unreal helping to get on the power early and use the LSD and nice PS4 front tyres. It certainly helped on roads we didn't often know. Approaching the exit of a corner down a country road and being able to stamp on it is a real plus to FWD... with not much to worry about.
    For my friend in the rear engined 911 there was always the worry to feather the throttle to maintain traction.. in fact we came out of a corner and over a bump (me behind the 911)... which took him by shock and induced dangerous oversteer in the 911 which he had to catch quickly! Little bit of wheelspin in the meg and that was it.

Took him out for a blast today and he said the 911 is more stable until you get to the limit where it will let go very quickly and if you're not experienced it would have you facing the wrong way, probably in a ditch. Whereas the meg is less stable up to the limit (it wiggles, wobbles, fights you through the wheel and the chassis), it tells you exactly what's going on... until the limit where a bit of harmless understeer can be corrected by the throttle... unless you're braking of course where a bit of opo may needed!

I think in the Porsche you know that the car could do more, do it faster, the car could do it better than you could, and you're the weak link. Whereas in the meg, yeah you could probably have done it faster, but you had such a good time, it doesn't really matter! Plus you're going fast enough to feel like not much can catch you anyway!

He's mightily impressed at how fun it is and actually at its pace too from low revs. Maybe FWD cars are underestimated in the real world still... I dunno, this one is incredibly fun for a daily!

Well, track day early next year so I guess we will see who has the advantage there!

2. Whats an RS300?

3. The meg is certainly very capable. I took my 275 to the Isle of Man with a v8 mustang and v8 F-type . Mustang didn't compare to either. F-type was certainly quicker but my friend found it was pretty even straight line to about 70 as well as around the corners.

Next summer were going on track only the F-type has been replaced by a cayman gts. I'm going to have a remap done. Should be interesting

4. just tuned mk3.

5. I had a little play with r8 few days ago (v8 version not v10) and i must say the meg coped better than expected. Audi couldnt pull from me at all. Top end would be a different story but up to mmmmmmm 70 mph i was sitting comfortably behind him

ianplymouth likes this.