Meg RS gone bonkers AGAIN

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by mondeoman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. For the 2nd time in 6 weeks this has happened, start up and various messages start to appear such as, Check airbag, check stop/start, seat belts not fastened warning, all these are still coming up whilst driving, plus while driving this additional message, steering not locked (yes, you want the steering locked whilst driving !!) also the doors lock and unlock frequently, again while driving.
    Back in it's garage overnight and start up next morn', it's fine again.
    Diagnostics show the " onboard computer" has logged these fault messages but of course there are none of these actual faults, the only true fault that shows is an intermittent fault on the drivers door impact sensor which the Renno' man says is common on most Meg' models, not just RS, but that doesn't normally throw up any of these nonsense messages.
    I think I'll just set fire to the bastard car.

2. Checked earths?

3. Sounds like a battery issue to me

4. battery is on its way out or alternator not charging properly which mean its on its way too

5. i would say battery as well, had pretty much the same symptom on mine, drop into Halfords and they will check it for you mate.

6. Battery has been checked on both occasions with the Renno mans hi tech batt' tester and pronounced A1, (car is only just 2 years old with 8K on it), plus I give it a good charge for many hours every few days, the earth theory was mentioned by the Renno man, apart from the earth by the batt', which is all tight etc, where the hell would you check ? any more theory's welcome.

7. There are two earth straps from battery, one to ECU one to engine block itself. Follow the engine one (runs along front of battery cover above ECU) make sure not corroded and is tight to engine block

8. I'll have a shufty, thanks mate.

9. Car diagnosticated again, no faults found, all fine for a couple of weeks then off we go again :openmouth: latest daft message is " rear seat belts not fastened" which stays on for 10-20 secs then it says "OK" in big letters and goes off, there's no one sitting in the back for gawds sake, next day I fasten those rear belts and start up and lo and behold it now says "rear seat belts fastened" followed soon after by the big "OK", the electronics in these cars are CRAP, I'm just going to ignore all these messages now until the "car brain" just suffers a complete mental breakdown and then set fire to it :mask:

10. It's sounding like an ECU earth fault. I haven't done much electrical work on my Megane (unlike other cars) so I don't know their locations but I would find out where all the earth points are in the engine bay and go about checking each one - to get such random codes like that is either battery, alternator or a wiring fault (most likely an earth due to the number of faults)

11. I get the rear belts one flash up occasionally and have to stop and start the car to clear. surprisingly the garage say they cannot see a fault and to bring it in when it is doing it.. how I do that I do not know <sigh>

12. Went bonkers AGAIN yesterday, :sleepy:, blasting along an empty road, entered a bend slowing and bingo, doors started locking/unlocking, airbag and spanner warning lights on and message "check airbag". Stopped, switched off, restart and all still there, went a few miles and still doing it, so reverting to my cure for my original bonkers faults at the start of this thread re' my Renno guy who said diagnostics showed door impact sensor "occasional fault", the remedy is slap the outside of the drivers door HARD with the flat of your hand and faults all disappear :sunglasses: !!! this obviously jolts the sensor back into operating properly and all is fine again, Renault electrics 'eh, terrible.

13. Just unlucky

I've had various renaultsport s since 2004 never had any electrical issues

I'd say the duagnotics guy needs to look further than just plugging on, doesn't achieve anything with these kind of faults,

14. I only wanted to see the fault code on diag', car is still under manufacturers warranty, you've been lucky pal, see how many leccy faults are on this forum, loads, the multi pin connectors that Renault use are rubbish.

15. Well , a couple of months ago I finally took the RS to a main dealer, ( Lookers, Chester), to have the bonkers door impact sensor faults sorted, (see my original posts) they confirmed that my diagnosticator was correct and it was indeed the door impact sensor, left it there, 2 days later they called to say they had received a replacement and 'twas the wrong one ! , 2 days later and they called to say exactly the same thing happened again, (correct part # on bag but packed with wrong item ! ) finally 1 week later I was told all fixed and tested, I collect it, drive 80 miles back home, next day I drive 10 miles and BINGO, all the warning lights/daft messages/doors locking unlocking happen again, this time my diag' say it's now the OTHER door impact sensor, by now I'm thoroughly p----d off, back it goes to Lookers and fixed 4 days later, I've had enough of crap Renaults and I've sold it and lost a bomb on it, now got a 300bhp Focus ST :blush::blush::blush:

16. has the gearbox let go yet on the ST ??