175 DCI Lower Arm Removal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Jakg, Aug 24, 2016.

1. In the middle of changing my shocks and swivel bearings - so shocks and springs are out, hub carriers are out and the driveshaft and lower arm is disconnected.

I noticed that the ball joint cover is split so that could do with replacing, and it's easier to swap the whole ball joint off the car, and then I could change the arm bushes for powerflex ones etc

I would've thought that with all the stuff I've removed it's got to be easy to take it off, but the Renault manuals talks about removing the whole subframe?! I've seen people mention that it's possible to just remove the radiator panel...?

2. Hi jakg
    I have to do mine again, fitted adjustable powerflex bushes and have had nothing but problems with them.
    Its a bumper off job, to remove the front sub frame (the support for the rads) the two side plates behind the arch liners, a bolt either side at the front and the two long bolts by the head of the bolt for the lower arms, then it should fall down.

3. Just to update this - didn't fancy removing the bumper and I couldn't see any way of doing it without removing the whole subframe.

Having looked at the Renault manual again, it's clear you just need to move the radiator support (sometimes called a front subframe) a bit out and then you can take it out, much easier.

So far, one out!

4. What shocks and springs are you going with?

S.

5. I've replaced the shocks with the same thing (Genuine Renault 175 Cup ones) and the springs (factory 175 cup ones) I haven't changed as they looked ok (and are expensive!).

6. you could use H&R spring for the 2,0 dci megane, same weight and cheap and not too stiff as an everyday runner.

got them on my GT, they are brilliant, i know some others uses them on their 225/r26

7. I've seen lots of mixed reviews about ride and handling on other springs with the 175, plus I specifically chose a cup model for the praise it got for it's handling - I'm trying to enhance what's already there than massively change it.

8. i uses 175 cup shocks and H&R springs and the handling is massive. where are you based and could show you if you wish

9. Problems after poly bushing? What problems?

10. Had quite a bit of hassle with them, they turn and put the tracking out, i have tightened them up as tight as i dare without stripping the threads on the bolts and they still turned, have had to get the tracking checked 5 times this year alone.
    You can turn them back again but it keeps happening, they will be removed when i do my engine change over the winter.

This has only happened on track days and not on the road.

Danith likes this.