Looking at buying a megane - which variant?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Nightingale95, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Hi all, I'm looking at buying a RS megane! My budget is around 5000 once my current car had sold. Just wondering if there's a huge difference between the variants? Would I be better going for a higher milage R26 or a lower milage 225 and all between?

Thanks!
    Jake.

2. I'd be going for R26 to be honest. There's not a huge difference - the LSD on the R26 being the most marked, but even that might not be of much value depending on how you drive. There were quite a few improvements made between the ph1 and ph2 models though.

I think 5k is a little on the high side for most 225's anyway now, so I'd look at the cheaper end of the R26's available.

3. I'd go for a late 225. Looking at quite high miles on an r26 for 5k.

4. That is so far wide of the mark its untrue.

The lsd is superb and really useful.
    Unless you drive like a granny you will use it most times you drive.

5. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

You've taken my comments out of context. I mentioned the LSD as being the biggest difference, and to be honest if you're using it 'most times you drive', then your driving like a dick most times.

All IMHO of course - yours obviously differs.

6. Egg cakes

Egg cakes Banned

Worst advice ever, I'd much prefer a r26 with a million miles than a low mileage 225.

7. I think the mileage question depends on what's been replaced on it. Clutch, cam belt and suspension parts especially.

8. Without wanting to patronise or condescend , do you know how a lsd works ? If you did you would realise that often it is working without you realising.

I also may beg do differ on taking it out of context. The only bit I mitigated was the doubt you will use it depending on driving.

9. I tried a Ph2 225, a 175 DCi and then an R26. I nearly went for the 175 because it's got the Sport looks with a diesel engine and as I do quite high mileage I thought that would be the best for me. However driving the R26 put an instant smile on my face and I preferred how it drove.

My advice would be to get out and test drive a few of each variant and then chose the one that suits you most.

10. I've had both. The R26 is a more focused experience when pushing on, the diff responsible for 90% of this.

If it's going on track I would say it would have to be an R26. For an all-round fast-ish road car the 225 is still a lovely motor.

I would look at both and choose the best example if I was buying again.

11. Excellent point, well argued using salient points.

Next time try using your words, maybe?

12. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade, so yes I know how a LSD works. To reciprocate your sentiments, do you?

More context re this: I had a ph1 172 & R26. Wife had 1.6 Mk2 Megane. All driven around (270degree) the same large, 60 limit roundabout regularly. Clio and lesser Meg obviously have no locker and honestly on a balanced throttle and without odd weight transfer, to get the R26 to corner much faster I had to drive like a dick. This is not possible 95% of the time due to other traffic. This goes for most other road types and conditions too, not just this example. Track experiences differ obviously. To be honest the Clio was sometimes faster in this scenario as it could carry much more speed into the roundabout even though it was slower on the exit.

In the 5% of times when the road was clear/no police likely, yes the diff in the R26 was great and really pulled the car round, but you had to mash the throttle open with the traction control off to overcome the initial understeer.

13. I agree with the above!!

I've driven both r26 and 225 and you can only tell the dif when driving hard and they both felt well planted to the road, imho the 225 felt much better when just driven casual and like a racer!
    But everyone is entitled to there opinion and my advise would be test drive both as its your car and what you would use it for!

14. What if its a 225 with a cup chassis or a quaife diff?

15. Egg cakes

Egg cakes Banned

Da fuk?!? I bet your a boring bloke to be around. I wasn't arguing just expressing my opinion thanks fella.

16. Daz

Daz

Reeeeeally...

So apart from a diff and a different front bumper being the actual only useful/taste differences you would go for a shagged car over a tidy car?

I'm glad people buy these R26's makes mine all the more easier to sell in the future.

17. Thanks for the replies! So there isn't a huge difference then really? Obviously the R26 would be the first choice, I suppose it's just going to be what's available once my car finally sells. What was the improvements from the ph1 to the ph2? Should the ph1 be avoided?

Thanks
    Jake

18. Daz

Daz

#

IF (IF) I ever feel the need to get one then for the sake of a few hundred quid extra come clutch time I'll fit one - that's the plan anyway! - Buying a ruined car because it has a diff is just crazy imo.

19. Daz

Daz

A diff.
    A different looking bumper.
    A different look set of front seats.

Every other difference is minute and completley inconsequential

20. Egg cakes

Egg cakes Banned

Yes 100% . The only reason I own a fwd megane is because of the lsd in the r26. The lsd turns a fwd car into a fun car.

You can't tell a car is shagged just because of the mileage. Everything on a car can be replaced. Sorry mate but your full of shite

21. £5k may not be enough for R26 in good condition, so it will be safer for you to buy older 225 with lower mileage. If you buy cheaper, younger model, it is more likely to put more money in maintenance, as it may be quite neglected. Check adverts on here, because it is always better, safer to buy car from RS enthusiast.

22. There is this one for sale on the official renaultsport forum

For sale is my much loved Trophy number 131 of only 119 left in uk roads and only 500 every made so it's becoming rare! And this one has had 1000's spent on it!

The car has wanted for nothing since owning it for the last 4yr, its serviced every yr by a main dealer and gets an oil change every 6 month its got full service history with just under 97k on the clock but it still pulls like 20k car. The next service is due November/December just been done 14/11/14.

since owning it ive had it mapped by rs Tunning in Leeds and in the last dyno it wash pushing 268bhp ive got print out to prove it, ive had the rear windows tinted, I've put heko wind deflector on and had the wheels refurbed and had the wing mirrors and spoiler painted to match the wheels apart from that ive regulary cleaned it and polished. And I've had a whole new clutch system fitted about a yr half ago!

The car is not 100% cosmetic wise as of any car this age it does have the odd stone chip and little dent, and theres a scratch on the passenger door can be seen in pic ive been quoted £100 to have it fixed but to be honest its never bothered me as i dont see it but if you want a perfect car then buy a new one, the angine and mechanical parts a 100% working order.Its got a scorpion cat back system and ktr filter with airbox mod, it's also got the standard stereo unit with ipod/iPhone connection lead.

the windscreen was replaced last yr thanks to a crack when it was replaced i had the solar screen put in (tinted).

Just got all the paper work out and theres a whole lot of history with this car from new to now, ive even got every mot from the first to now. It's got a full 12 month mot and it's just been serviced 14/11/14

The injectors have been replaced with the newer version from brown tag to the blue tag ones!! The spark plugs have also been replaced and the timing belt kit has been done so has the pulley, i have receipts for all of this. It's also had new apex springs fitted this year.

the rear pads and discs where replace 2yr ago I had the swivel bearing replaced and both window regs have been replaced!!

Front pads and discs were done last yr.

i can be contacted via txd msg on 07971103114

Or pm me.

The price £3250 no offers I've taken the condition into acount with the price!

FOR THE RIGHT PRICE ILL LEAVE THE DVD SAT NAV HEAD UNIT IN, if not then the original will go back in!

please contact me if you need any more info as ive probably missed something.

23. I think I already made the point of finding a car where major work has already been done.
    So:
    Cam belt
    Clutch
    Exhaust (preferably stainless like miltek)
    Suspension parts and steering. Does it feel tight?
    Turbo (might not be necessary but it's expensive if it goes)

Then there's regular servicing, bodywork and how the car has been kept. Do all the electrics work, are the wheels straight and un-kerbed?
    Basic car buying stuff really.

24. http://www.rsmegane.com/showthread.php?4855-Megane-225-Trophy-ltd-edition

:tongueout:

25. I agree with this entirely.

26. I've had both. Both are good cars, but the 225 is softer, and it's surprising how much quicker you can go on a twisty road with the R26.

Having said that, for £5k I'd probably be looking at a mint phase 2 cup or FF with cup pack. Unless you drop on a complete steal, you're a grand shy of a good R26 and 1500-2 grand shy of a really good low miler.

Save a bit more money and get an R26 would be my advice.

27. By an old BMW would be mine.
    You can change all the bulbs without actually removing the bumper.

28. I don't agree. Mine is spot on mechanically and has pretty good bodywork. Although it's not for sale, I'd let mine go for £5.5k in a second if I was offered it.

29. Daz

Daz

My apologies - I didn't realise I was talking to a hero - I'll get back in my cupboard and contemplate a life where no car with driven front wheels can be fun.

30. Daz

Daz

Oh sorry - without an lsd that is.

god damn you 90's hatches - god damn you to hell! :smile:

31. In the 90s little hatches didn't have over 200bhp.
    And in the 90s you could buy a larger hatch with over 200bhp and RWD/4WD. That particular car is quite valuable now, and I'd fucking love one.

32. Daz

Daz

I agree but my point is they were fun, and the lack of lsd made them no less fun. I never got out of my Williams and thought - needs a diff that thing.

Anyhoo I can't be arsed arguing about it - life's too short. Plus I'm knackered, our little one's ruled the roost big time today. I've been beaten by a 4 month old. Tell you what you deffo don't need a diff with a little un on board :smile:

33. This could go on....

But if I was the op I wouldn't be swayed by a car with 'pretty good body work' that is £500 over my budget and not for sale.

34. What would you guys value this at? Belts have been done!

Model: Renault Megane ph1 Year: 2005 Mileage: 66,600 miles
    Private Individual
    Description:
    Black 2005 megane sport running 263bhp, it's recently had fitted a k-tec induction kit, forge intercooler and dump valve, Full 3inch stainless steel exhaust system including d-cat at tony banks in Leeds, the following day it had 630cc injectors and full remap by rs tuning also in Leeds. Print outs and receipts to prove its at 263bhp. It Has service history, receipts, original folder, It's in good condition other that slight wear to drivers seat bolster, small dent in bonnet and a few dinks in passenger door nothing that a paint less dent remover can't fix, as I was quoted £80-£100 but just not bothered me to get it done really. If it don't sell or swop I will be getting it done after Xmas. I have just replaced the drivers side abs sensor cable and wheel bearing. There will be things I have missed so please ask, Mot end February 2015. No time wasters or stupid others. Prefer a cash sale but will swop for the right car.

35. Its sounds knackered buddy.

36. What makes you say that mate?

37. ???

38. That would worry me lots.

Just not bothered to get it done. What else cant be bothered to be done ? If I am selling something I make sure that everything is as perfect as I can get it to sell it. It just sounds a bit unloved.

39. By pretty good, I mean better than 90% of examples.