Let's talk splitters

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by Charlie Howard, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

So there's quite a long thread on here about splitters and how much of them suck. It seems most people agree the V1/V2 Maxton Design is the best looking. No one seemed to mention the Maxton race splitter, not sure if it's new or it's just bad but, unlike the others it actually looks like it might serve an aerodynamic function rather than just adding weight and making the car look lower. Thoughts?

https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/body...s/front-racing-splitter-renault-megane-mk3-rs 28717827d495bf18e1b34c500bf12e0c.jpg

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Won't make a difference, Every off the shelf splitter is just for looks.

If you want one that actually does something, You need to build one, But then the car needs the right ride height to work it properly as well.

3. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

You've got your car on coilovers right Jamie? Have you out a spacer on the driveshaft? I've heard without one it will kill the CV joints?

4. Think anymore than about 30mm over the cup height and they are a must

5. Looking at getting a maxton splitter for my r26 to help stability on track and not fussed for looks so much.
    Why would it not do that?

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It's not going to make a blind bit of difference, it's purely a cosmetic item.

No where near big enough to actually make a difference

7. Fair enough. Are there any pre-made ones available anywhere that do?

8. CM Composites do a proper splitter. I've got one but not fitted it yet.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

eddie ninja likes this.
  9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Proline motorsport have just released a MK3 kit that's proper, think a MK2 is in the pipeline but there's probably other things to do to improve the setup first before throwing on a splitter

10. Like what? Engine is as done as it’s gonna get. Got buckets on orderand harness bought. Venting to front brakes booked in.
    Rear seats removed.
    Debating suspender upgrade but won’t be cheap and it’s mainly a roadcar and I hate adjusting stuff for trackdays.
    Open to more suggestions.

Si271 likes this.
  11. I'm definitely in the "don't bother" camp with this sort of thing. The vast majority of it will make little or no difference and often looks a bit "try hard" to these eyes. Designing functioning aero devices is a science and all the off-the-shelf options are pretty obviously designed more around aesthetics and ease of fitment.

Better to spend the money on buying the best tyres/dampers you can and, if you really want to improve your performance on track, have some driving tuition. That will make the biggest difference of all.

To each his own of course, but most of these splitters etc actually detract from the looks of the MK3 in my humble opinion.

12. these just come on market, there's three piece or single:

Attached Files:

Nez98 and Jonny157 like this.
  13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You've kinda answered it yourself there by saying it's mainly a road car. Splitters need a fairly low ride height to work properly, I'd say some suspension upgrades or tweaks would make a bigger difference

eddie ninja likes this.
  14. Dampers are a whole new world to me so where would I start? I do know the r26r has different ones to the r26 and are less “stiff”? Would they work on the r26?

15. Splitters need to be bolted onto something solid which will provide the downforce benefits to the entire car. Mounting them on the front bumper will just make the front bumper flex at the weakest points because of the increased downforce.