Insurance

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Meg16_Beth, Feb 3, 2018.

1. So I've had to renew insurance (29, car parked in apartment car park, 4 years no claims). Greenlight first of all, £1600 and won't insure without a disclok? Is that correct?

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Depends on several factors, Postcode etc.

FWIW i pay under £500 with them, All mods declared and valued.

Cazper likes this.
  3. Sounds like you are in a dodgy area, if they want a disklock

4. Who are you insured with Jamie.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Greenlight

Cazper likes this.
  6. Another nod for Greenlight. I'm around £600 and mods declared. Also great for the track cover which is included as well.

7. I'll give them a try in a few month when insurance is due, they've never been able to insure previous cars as they were all over 20k in value. Normally I just go direct to brokers and cut the idiots out.

8. Just done mine with green light. Brilliant value, cheap with all mods declared. Good shout thanks

9. Greenlight were very helpful but wouldn't insure me.

The car wasn't modded so couldn't help out unless I wanted an extortionate premium. Told me to call back when I'm modded up.

Ill be giving them a call when I've tinkered a little.

Still only paid £600 and that's for me and the wife with Business coverage as well as she needs it to tick the boxes with her work.

10. Thats strange because they insured me on my standard 250 pretty cheap.

11. so they mirrored one of my other cars insurance so full ncd, also said it helps if you drive/have other fast cars, never come across that before but he said the m5 helps a lot. the car is for 3000 miles per year, all mods declared and worked out at 300 which seems cheap to me based on all the mods, they were very helpful and the guy knew all the questions to ask about mods done which was very helpful. also i get track insurance which works out at 30 quid per track day. the only place they wont cover is castle combe. if you buy 5 trackdays you get it for 30 quid per day which is a bargain. so the good news is you dont need to start up a new ncd policy to get cheap cover, you just need another car they can mirror off. they like it if you have another daily driver

12. Ill try them again when it comes round to it. As I said, very nice people on the phone. Very helpful just wasn't gonna work out in my favour going with them at the time.

Maybe it was the business mileage thing, I never asked. Was to busy wanting to get out for a blast in it.

13. ah yes another question they asked was "is it for pleasure only"......i said yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss. maybe as you say that was the stumbling point for you

14. Sounds expensive! I'm only 19 with 1 years ncb and paid £1600. Price of being a kid I guess :/

15. I tried to get them to insure my SL55 and they wouldn't as it only has different wheels and no other mods (yet) so had to go back to normal insurance and that company wouldn't mirror so had to pay £460 fully comp, being old has some benefits :sunglasses:

16. Sky insurance were the cheapest for my R26. I'd previously been with Greenlight for 5yrs as they were the best for insuring my modified mx5. When I sold my mx5 and cancelled the policy I posted on an mx5 site that I was disappointed with their cancellation polity (can't cancel over the phone and 6 weeks to recieve a cheque for my refund) and when I came to get a quote for the R26 they told me they didn't want to cover me because of this. After some reasoning they did quote me but it was no where near competitive. Was a shame but hey ho.

17. Sky wanted over 800 as a renewal but greenlight smashed it with £450 stage 2 modded supporting mods with extras like roll cage and bits . Also added insurance for 5 track days for 135 so bargain there aswell

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

18. Got mine for about £600 as well (A-plan though via their modified car provider)...all mods declared and can add track day cover on a single event or bundle basis (6 a year). Seems pretty reasonable. A condition of the insurance was that it was modified! (I liked that bit).

19. The guy on the phone said that greenlight will not insure any keyless entry car without a disclock.

Don't understand why greenlight are quoting me such a high figure. I live in what I would say is a decent area (Spondon, Derby). The car's not even extensively modified.

20. Mines keyless, its standard on the model, and greenlight have never said anything aboit disclocks.

21. :unamused: not impressed....greenlight *breathe*. I'll reconsider them next year if they don't lie to me

22. I use esure, my car was hardly modded though but i had full comp protected for £340. I am nearing 40 though.

Part-ex 3 days ago though :worried:

23. Unless its a new thing there doing, with all car thefts going on, but even if its that, as far as im aware, reanults havent been nicked this way.

24. Just got quoted from greenliggt and they said they couldn't match Skyinsurance quote.
    Oh well will stump up the 600 quid.

25. another one to be aware off, REIS motorsport insurance https://reis.co.uk/ i have 6 points, 2 accident (last one in oct 2017) both at fault, and they were only £475 all mods declared really helpfull and nice people to talk too.
    Highly advise them if you are in the market for car insurance.

26. ITS A LONG ONE IM SORRY HA!

I've a question regarding this kind of if anyone can help, I think I over pay for insurance.. mainly because I declared my points on my License which have now came off insured in February and came off on the last day of the month. When I check my details on the DVLA site it says I have 0 Points and 0 Convictions and same for when I share the drivers license code and check it using that. I've read you legally only have to declare your convictions if they're 'unspent' and If you have a clean license technically you don't have to tell the insurance company and that many companies ask for the last 5 years as a way to up the price even though your license is clean. Basically the law says insurance companies can't charge you more for having those 'spent' Convictions but a simple search with and without those convictions mentioned proves that they do. Do you reckon it would be best for me to search for insurance again and just tell them I have a clean licence because well I do..

if you've actually been bothered to read this thanks and any help is great!

27. I got caught by the insurance company because i didn't tell them i did a speed awareness course, they only charged me £50 extra and the following year it came off there register, insurance companies communicate with each other so they will know or find out, it's your choice you can say that you are not happy with being charged even though the points are spent.

28. I've been doing quite a bit of looking into this tonight in a hope to save money and came across some interesting stuff. "Apparently If firms insist on asking questions about spent convictions, then they must effectively ignore the answers they receive. Otherwise we are likely to consider they have breached their statutory duty and Similarly, if an insurer cancels someone's policy because they have a spent conviction they didn't disclose, a complaint will be upheld." from what I can take from that does it not mean you can complain if your insurance cancels on you because you didn't declare a conviction you 'technically' don't have to declare?

to put it to the test I ran a quote on my 320d both mentioning and not mentioning a 'spent' conviction... same company £300 cheaper when not mentioned no other details changed.. unbelievable.

29. that's worrying

30. You say that as if you’re surprised. If you look at insurance sellers in the same light as a high street bank that being they are a law unto themselves then can remove the element of surprise and replace with element of frustration that there’s not lot can do about it.

Greenlight do seem to come up with some classic spur moment excuses and told me wouldn’t insure my vehicle as it was kept in London and deemed high risk yet Chris Knotts charge me a reasonable £360 for same location

31. Yeah that's who i went with too that day. They're REALLY understanding in being able to differentiate between mods rather than blanketing them under usual criteria.
    I've asked them whether they do track day insurance and they said that they're working on it so that their members pay reduced prices

tof73 likes this.