How to tell if a Megane 250/265 has a Cup chassis?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by lewish, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Hi guys,

I've had a bit of a search of the forum and around the web in general and I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd pose the question here since it might be of use to others as well.

Is it as simple as checking the brake calipers? i.e. Red Brembos = Cup, Silver Brembos = non-Cup? Or is it necessary to check the front springs as well? i.e. Blue band painted on the spring = Cup, Orange band painted on the spring = non-Cup? Or does that only apply to Clio RS200s?

The main reason I'm asking is that I've got my eye on a 265, and I've asked the dealer if they can confirm whether it has a Cup chassis on a couple of occasions but they haven't been very forthcoming with the answer (and I'd like to avoid having to drive to it to find out). Should it be in the logbook?

The particular 265 in question is http://www.evanshalshaw.com/search/...lt-megane--manual-petrol-black-coupe-bv13mlk/.

Thanks in advance,
    Lewis

2. Doing a valuation check by vehicle reg at http://www.whatcar.com/valuations/ has it down as 'Renault Megane Coupe 2.0 T 16V Renaultsport 265 3dr [Start Stop]', whereas another 265 that is listed as having a Cup chassis is down as 'RENAULT MEGANE COUPE 2.0 T 16V Renaultsport 265 Cup 3dr'. Does that matter necessarily?

3. No as there is and 265 cup, which bog standard trim wise, and the fully trimmed ones which will have the cup pack added as an option.

4. If you get the registration then call any Renault dealership they will be able to confirm whether or not it is a cup spec.

5. Nice one, I'll give that a go next then!

6. Just had a look at the ad.. think you could do better for the money... for not much more than that asking price is what some brand new 275 cup's have been sold for recently.
    Might be worth doing a bit more shopping around.
    Anything questions feel free to fire away :smile:

7. Called Renault's customer relations team and they were able to tell me how it left the factory. It does have a Cup chassis.

I don't think I've seen any 275s for less than £19k and I can't stretch that far unfortunately. And, buying the car on finance might only allow me to look at trade ads rather than private.

I thought £15,995 for a 2013 model with 9k miles and that spec was decent, or does the mileage really not matter as much as I'm thinking it does? Really I'm looking for something that will last and has a better chance of holding its value, and if it still has some warranty that'd be great. I have been looking at some 250s around £11,995 though too.

Ideally what I want is a 250/265 with Cup chassis and leather interior, Recaros or not. Lux trim would be nice but not essential. Kind of agnostic about colour at this point.

Thanks for the help so far.

8. There's a good thread on pistonheads in the French section on the 275 cup. One of the guys recently bought a delivery mileage 275 cup for under 18k. Forum user 'butter face' is the Renault dealer who sold it, might be worth dropping him a message.

I was in a similar position to you and was tempted to buy a new or newish 275 but ended up with a 250 instead as it was about half the price and is essentially the same car. Mine is a full fat cup spec with recaro's, 25k miles and cost over 27k new. It was a fair bit cheaper than the £11995 you mention.

If you're getting finance I'd do a bit of ggogling as car dealers aren't usually that competitive, a bank loan maybe cheaper and then you'd have the option of buying privately.

9. I've had a look at the thread on PH, there's some useful information on there.

You were able to find a full fat cup spec 250 with 27k on the clock for less than £11,995? That's reassuring but I'm finding 250s with 40-50k on the clock for £13-15k. Maybe it's the time of year or supply and demand dictating the price at the moment. Where did you look? I've used Pistonheads and Auto Trader so far.