R26 How reliable is Stage 2?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Joe R26, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Hey,

I was just wondering how reliable is stage 2 on these cars? Do many engines go bang on this map?

For the past three years I've been running the stage 1 map from FastChip (Henk/RStuner) and its been a great upgrade from standard. I recently noticed he has the stage 2 map on his website now. I'm currently contemplating adding a 3" exhaust and decat as he specifies this is needed to run the stage 2 calibration.

My current mods are Stage 1 map, ITG style airfilter and bigger intercooler.

It's going into Mark Blacks next month to have the SMF conversion and R26R clutch kit fitted.

It's very tempting to go for the stage 2 calibration however my car has now done 108k miles. Its been serviced every 12k since I've owned it (4 years) and the oil changed every 6k. It doesn't use a drop of oil.

What do you guys think? would I be pushing my luck pushing a fairly high mileage engine to stage 2?

Your opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

Ryan Butler likes this.
  2. I have no statistics to confirm engine integrity at this mileage, only thing I would say is a dedicated re-map would be safer than FastChip upgrade.

3. Pay your money,take your chance.
    Its widely acknowledged ,the F4rt lump in the mk2 is right on its limit at 300lb/ft.
    The rods are thought to be the weak point, being lifted straight from the 182,and not designed to take such a high figure.

Engine longevity still seems hit and miss though,with many cars still in one piece ,when running a stage 2 for years.

My own R26 has been running 290lb/ft for 7 years..

As Bobsan says..i would certainly get it done, and checked over on a dyno.
    Just to make sure the engine is healthy.

My own car was done at RS Tuning,and had a weak injector with less than 20k on it.
    Obviously would never have been picked up, with just a map upload.

You would also really need bigger injectors,as standard will be close to max

Si271 likes this.
  4. Thanks for the pointers. Like I say I'm not overly fussed about stage 2. Just weighing it up. I've ordered the Ktec 3" exhaust and decat now so I will see how it feels with that on first.

I want to try keep it fairly reliable and the stage 1 is more than enough for B road driving :smiley:. I have done a lot of research on the other forum and read about the rods going above 300lb/ft.

5. Well with 3” and decat it will be louder but unlikely to increase in performance possible decrease even, however that would be a good time to remap the engine to its new freed up gas flow

6. Yeah I’ll probably need to get the management and emissions light mapped out anyway once the single mass flywheel and decat is fitted. I’ll get it on the rollers after the new bits are fitted anyway as a health check and see what it’s putting out.

7. I had a clio 182 before my megane and when i bought it it was on 127,500 miles.

I had it turboed by andy at engine dynamics at 135,000 miles and it made exactly what a low mileage car would have made (235 bhp) and it had FULL SERVICE HISTORY. The engine had been looked after all its life.

Guy called joe meekings had a clio turboed and he did over 20k miles and was still fine when he sold it.again F.S.H.

generally if its looked after it will go on for a long time despite being tested strength wise.

8. Some people will disagree,and i must admit i was certainly one of them,
    who thought a induction kit was just a noise maker.
    I just took a punt on the KTEC kit for the R26,and it defiantly frees up more urge at higher revs.
    If you are looking for some more performance,you could have a look at this.

My car has so much torque on a stage 1,i really dont think it needs anymore.

9. Yeah I agree on the air filter front I'm sure it makes a difference. I had a ktec style induction kit for a long time and it felt quick on stage 1. I put the standard airbox back on for a while as my car was my daily and the noise got annoying. Now I have a works van the car is not a daily anymore and I put the Ktec style airfilter back on and it definitely feels better.

Like I say I've already got an induction kit & FMIC. I just wish you still did them short shift mods I'm desperately trying to get hold of one :smiley:

10. I don’t know about the mk2 but the mk3 doesn’t need an exhaust till 400+ hp. Tested it myself on the rollers.

11. Im afaid people always have to fk it up for everyone in the end..
    we had our last 2 not return exchanges which are £130 to replace.

Just not worth the hassle chasing idiots who dont care less as long as they are ok..

I thought someone has taken it on now..sure theres a exchange thing going on.

12. Markoc has found a local engineering shop and got a short shifter made. I've currently got one awaiting fitting at Engine Dynamics on 9th March. I will return my standard one to him afterwards.
    You could try him, I'm not sure who else is in the queue after me.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

13. if i ever get round to it..i will hunt out the 2-3 linkages we still have knocking around.

14. Joe you are in luck I had a short shift supplied and fitted by Mark black last week

15. Does he have them ready to go? If so I’ll get him to chuck one on when he does my clutch

16. Mine was already machined ready to fit when I had my service done. I'm back Thursday for some more work and will ask

17. Yeah if you could ask him that would be great. He’s doing my stuff on the 9th of March. I don’t want to keep hassling him I already spoke to him yesterday to check he could do my exhaust while I’m there.

18. Just spoke to mark he keeps a couple in stock but will keep one back for you for fitting

19. Oh sweet! Well chuffed. Thanks for sorting that out bud.

20. For so little in cost it' money well spent. It should of been like this from factory

Joe R26 likes this.
  21. well it almost was in the R26R..different linkage to R26/225.
    The thing is,with the mod to the existing linkage,the ballstud is taken as far as you can get away with,which makes it even slicker than the R26R action.

The only thing is,sometimes it feels like the gear has only just`gone in`,due to the actuator just about keeping up with the throw.
    This makes some people nervous.
    But mine was one of the very first cars in the country to have this mod on it...no probs yet after 6-7 years!

It really does complete the R26 package though,and the reason why we sold them all over the world for a few years.
    We sent linkages to france,belgium,germany,hong kong and even Australia!

Joe R26 likes this.
  22. Think ill be finally getting my car remapped... Its been 10 years and after getting a quick drive in a gtr last week.. I need more power, just can't afford a gtr [emoji23]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Si271 likes this.
  23. So question is rstuning or remote mapping with rs tuner and henk?... I'm in London so Leeds is a bit of a trek... Which there was a good mapper nearer to London :worried:

24. engine dynamics..good rep,and close to you.

charlie1984 likes this.
  25. Nice! Only an hour away and £350 for a stage 2 :smile: cheers Andrew!