How do you remove the door handles?

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by Mark_RS, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Want to spray mine black, what's the easiest way to remove them and is there a how to anywhere?

Thanks all!

2. Pinged you mail. Dunno if this helps.

3. Thank you Adam! I'm more wondering how to get the thing off the door itself? Is there an easy way to do it :worried:

4. Got mine sprayed in situ.alot easyier and once masked is very easy.

5. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

on the door theres a plastic grommet pull that off and if you look inside you should see a white plastic tab if you use a hook and pull it towards you the the barrel part will pull out and the handle will slide towards the back of the car and come.

6. Is that on a Mk3? Do you mean the black plastic square in the recess behind the handle?

7. No down the side of the door, above the where the latch is, you pull the rubber seal to the one side and you will see a rubber grommet, pull that out and you will just about see the inner workings of behind the door handle.

8. theory (on the mark 2 at least - not sure if it's the same for the Mk3) is easy - open door remove grommet on end of door, put bent coat hanger in hole and pull tab/lever toward you which will release the lock part so it can be wiggled from the outside of the door straight outwards, slide handle part backwards and out. Took a fair bit of wiggling to get mine out. Also when putting it back in do it slowly so that you don't make the rest of the mechanism drop inside the door.

Mark_RS likes this.
  9. Thanks Chappers, I can confirm that it's exactly that. Took me 20 minutes in the dark to do both sides, incredibly easy job!