Hi vxr owner checking in

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Freddy, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Hi I fancy a change from my astra vxr so was thinking about looking at megane r26's as they seem pretty cheap now.

How do they compare to a vxr?

Hope to get one soon

Ta

2. Hi fella. My brother has a Vxr and I have a meg, I think the astral is far more solid and better built, as for outright speed they are pretty evenly matched as standard, the meg pulls a bit first and then the Vxr reels it in and stays level.

I prefer the interior of the Vxr but soon forget about that when you have an open road.

Depends what you value? Put it this way I see about 4 vxrs every morning on the way to work and not one megane.

3. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Welcome mate.

I've never been a fan of Astra VXRs so have no intention of trying one, but the only way for you to decide if you should make the change is to test drive one. Although I am confident you will really enjoy it. Meganes really are fantastic cars to drive.

4. Freddy

Freddy Banned

You really should try a vxr I'm confident you'd be a fan once you've tried, they sound nuts and handle very well as standard only thing lacking is the lsd which is main reason I'm after a r26 really.

5. Purely as a drivers car, the r26 is much more enjoyable than the astra. Steering /brakes /handling. I think the astra is more tuneable though.
    Have you driven a meg?

6. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Not yet I'm hopefully viewing this one on ebay 221437783676 this afternoon.

7. High miler there 111k. I'd be looking at a lot lower miles if you want an enjoyable Renault experiance. If it hasn't already it will need most things replacing.

8. From a reliability point of view I would stick with the Astra.

It won't be quite as dynamic but I'm onto my second Megane and they have required more work than any of my other cars to keep running.

9. I have had a burg VXR and currently have an R26. The burg is a nicer place to sit and sound great with the remus. The R26 is the best handling hot hatch I have had and I have driven and owned a few. You just seem to point it and it goes.
    Mine is for sale though, nice silver one with lower miles than the one you are looking at. It's a little bit more expensive but there is always a deal to be done. :smile: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281445136323?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

10. why not just fit a LSD to your vxr , I do track days with a guy who has the vxr who has fitted a diff, made a big difference especially on track

11. VXR pound for power its better too

12. I think Opel looks too ordinary. Megane RS is quite rare car and whole driving experience is bit better.
    If you look for Meg then better get car from our forum. At least you know what you buy.

13. Freddy

Freddy Banned

I fancy change that's all I don't keep cars more than a year.
    I drove a r26 last night you can feel the diff work its magic was impressed. Steering feel is a bit numb as well. I was disappointed with the noise they sound rubbish but maybe a different exhaust will help make it a bit deeper.

14. The do sound rubbish standard. I heard one the other day with a full milltek on and it sounded very nice.

15. Is it a Burg VXR you have Freddy? Kinda what others have said also, more potential for peak power and better sound with the VXR but I'd say the R26 is more of a drivers car.
    The sound always bothered me but I have removed the back box and just had a de-cat fitted yesterday and I must say it sounds epic!! No drone on motorway which is important for me but that burble and popping on the over run just does it for me!

16. Welcome, go for the meg

17. I've always liked the astra vxr.

What mods does it have?

18. Welcome along.

Personally if i were you i would upgrade to a gtc vxr or megane 250, unless you're wanting something more track focussed?
    Maybe someone local will be willing to meet and let you have a listen to a megane with a different exhaust, remap, etc, etc?

19. If hes local to me hes more than welcome to have a go in mine.

20. Then he can have a go in a proper one if he's in Nottingham james lol

21. i went to look at this before I got mine, and its mint. Only thing that put me off is the 6 previous owners. It still feels very tight and has been well looked after. You could not go far wrong if the owners don't bother you. But is a 200 mile trip!
    the lads a proper nice fella to boot!

22. Freddy, your not at Marham are you??

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  23. Cheers mate.
    Glad to see you got one. Looks a nice one too. :smile:

24. Hahaha you can take me for a spin in yours.

25. We can meet up anytime James, be warned though, you'll want one

26. When I get time to change a leaking aircon rad seal, I will come over to you, your mate can regas it again for me while your scaring me in the r. God knows when that will be, aint got time to scratch my arse at the min.

27. i had to do a 300 mile round trip to get it, but was more than worth it, the lad who I got it off had not had much interest either which I was quite surprised about!
    paid 6.5k for it, 39k on the clock, FRSH all the belts done etc, did want a white one really but this seemed to good to miss after spending a good couple of months looking.

28. As I said to you I do like the white ones too, just not sure I would like to pay the extra for one. Sounds as though you have got a good one. Got someone looking at mine tomorrow so we shall see how it goes. Take it easy mate and enjoy the car. :cool:

29. No I could not justify the extra grand or so just for a white one, you selling up then mate? What you going for next?
    Can see it being a sad day if she goes.

30. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Vxr is now sold to my mate and I'm on the lookout for a r26. Ive got 3.5-4.5k at a stretch to spend. Would like one with exhaust and decat already on but not that bothered if not I'll do the chop.

Hope I find one soon I've already got a list of mods lined up lol

Cheers

Freddy

31. That's at the low, low, end of the market isn't it? 100k plus miles.
    I'd have a look at this instead. Not an r26, but diff fitted and mileage much more sensible.
    Saw this car on Auto Trader’s Android App. Thought you might be interested. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408146607623

32. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Yeah I don't care for high priced low mileage cars really Id rather have a cheap high miler. I'll be changing suspension for bc coilovers anyways so mileage isn't a issue at all for me.

That 225 is definitely not what I'm after. 5 doors? Too sensible lol

33. It's got same spec as an r26, half the miles of cars you'll otherwise be looking at, and engine work by rs tuning. Each to their own, but as an r26 owner and someone with lots of experience of Renault, I'd take that over a leggy r26 every day!

34. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Ok thanks for the advice but I would never buy a 5 door or one in that blue colour.
    I'll hopefully find a nice black r26 with high miles and low price :smile:

35. Wow that is a lot of car for the money and low mileage too. Shame you couldn't look past the 5 doors. Surely one day you'll start a family and it'll suit you perfectly :wink:

36. Freddy

Freddy Banned

Already have a 5door bmw my wife uses so kids can fit in that. 5 door meganes look disgusting if I'm honest.

37. Fair enough then, good luck with the search. Just make sure you hold out for one with a diff as they make the car.